Want a Alcohol Free Birthday for Kiddo

Old 11-04-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
It's probably just a matter of how you phrase it. A 'heads-up' in a light-hearted way would be appropriate, but I don't think you can do much about the hangover thing.
I have to agree... it's one thing to control your event, another to try and control what folks do the night before.

I'd tell him in a lighthearted way that the event will be dry, "just so you know!" and let him make the decision on whether to come or not.

That, or don't invite them.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice/experiences here and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Im not going to let brother’s need to drink control me or the party. I’m going to take trailmix’s advice and give a heads up to brother. If he shows up drunk, I’ll ask him to leave. If that event should happen, hopefully it will be a rock bottom for him or not. Not my problem and I won’t let it be my problem.

My husband hates my family especially alcoholic brother and would prefer him not to attend. So far, he hasn’t done anything to hurt DD so until he does, I’m not going to block him from seeing her.

Like another member stated, he has to choose alcohol or her and if he cares about her the choice will be easy. If he chooses alcohol, then that makes my choice a lot easier. I choose her over my relationship with alcoholic brother.

Lots of future tripping here on my part. I will give the heads up and go from there. And as for other non problem drinkers choosing to partake I would assume they may have a secret problem with drinking because this is a small child’s birthday party at a venue designed to celebrate small children’s birthday parties at 11am. Why would anyone want a beer or glass of wine? I still don’t understand why this venue offers booze with a 2 drink limit. They obviously see a potential problem hence the 2 drink limit.

Id also like to mention that I have never seen anyone with a drink at this venue but of course I wasn’t looking to see if anyone was drinking either. I’m usually too focused on the birthday kid or talking with relatives.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Does this venue involve someone in a large rodent costume? (No need to answer to protect your privacy). If so, I’ve been to children’s parties there with adults getting hammered, which is really unpleasant. For some parents, the fact that it does serve alcohol and you can have a few drinks while watching your kids play birthday games is one of the draws. I was very happy when my own Kid grew out of the target age group for the franchise which shall not be named.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I think I have to agree with everyone else. Suggest that there will be no alcohol served at the table or just make your guest list smaller. We stopped doing huge blowout birthdays for the first year birthdays because it was just a reason for the adults to get hammered around all these little kids. Then I did them at neutral locations that were not alcohol friendly (ie long drives, parks, beach, grandma's house, etc)
The only thing you can control is access at your own party and the people you choose to surround yourself and your children with. I wish someone had told me this long before I had kiddos!
Old 11-06-2019, 07:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1972 View Post
Does this venue involve someone in a large rodent costume? (No need to answer to protect your privacy). If so, I’ve been to children’s parties there with adults getting hammered, which is really unpleasant. For some parents, the fact that it does serve alcohol and you can have a few drinks while watching your kids play birthday games is one of the draws. I was very happy when my own Kid grew out of the target age group for the franchise which shall not be named.
See, I don’t understand this. Why would any parent get hammered or even have a few drinks and then attempt to drive their child home???

I know people who do this sort of thing. Get drunk or smoke in front of their kids during backyard bbqs. Sometimes they even fail to continue to watch their kids sometimes small babies.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw an 18 month old leaning into a pool trying to get a toy floating in the water while their parent who had already drank too much got up to go inside for another beer.

Some of it is my own crappy childhood raising its ugly head making me overly sensitive and I’ll admit I’ve got issues, but still, who gets drunk with a small child in their care?
Old 11-07-2019, 01:24 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

WHO?...…...alcoholics, that's who!