XAH DUI. Ugh.

Old 10-02-2019, 07:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

XAH DUI. Ugh.

Well, guess I am not crazy (are any of us ever?) for thinking that despite all the talk of getting his life together and passing soberlink for kid time, that he was indeed still drinking.

He was in an accident yesterday (my name still on title for that car along w his, and still on the same insurance as the policy renewed before divorce was final and I, like an idiot, didn’t cancel mid policy). I got all the contacts from insurance and he tells me it was a rear end on the freeway when traffic slowed and he couldn’t stop). I was tempted to look up the police blotter but I didn’t. Then my secretary reached out today with a screen shot that he was arrested on DUI for over .08 yesterday; she saw it totally randomly and knows my situation and my wonder if he is just playing sober for custody reasons.

Its a relief in a way since I have been feeling like a jerk for assuming he was drunk all hours except when on soberlink for visits. But he’s supposed to get an overnight a week back in December if he doesn’t fail any sober link tests. He was also ordered to AA which I’m sure he doesn’t do but it’s not written in the order as a dealbreaker. So. This isn’t exactly a violation of the order but the judge was deeply unimpressed with his conduct so I think it maybe is enough to push off the overnights. He will have his license for a while before it will probably get pulled. Kind of thinking I wait until after when it should be pulled and see if he fesses to having no license or tries to drive his kid without one. More ammo to stop the overnights. I have lucked out and I have a judge who actually gives a crap.

Financially I am a little worried. Divorce is final and we didn’t renew insurance as married when we weren’t, but I am scared they are going to be pissed we didn’t separate the policies. In the settlement it’s totally his care and we aren’t married so if he gets sued (if anyone actually got hurt) I think I am ok, but I worry that insurance will refuse to cover it and then decide it’s my problem too since I didn’t tell them about the divorce yet. But my name is officially on title so having it on my policy isn’t crazy. And i guess if they disallow the claim that just means he is on the hook for damages. And if they raise my rate for a claim I can leave the insurance company and it won’t be on my record because he won’t be on for my car.

Also. This sucks in being another nail in the coffin for his health. It was a year ago he had the liver failure cause hospitalization and it looks like he only took the rehab time off from drinking. His survival chances aren’t good based on his complications to date. I feel like as of today I can’t see a world in which my kid has a dad (idiot or not) by the time she’s 10.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

And I want to say for all the newbies (which I guess I am not anymore) that’s it’s always ok to leave.

I left a year ago just when he started rehab (at my insistence) after a hospitalization for a liver failure. There were no failed ultimatums or screaming fights about his drinking, I never knew the scope of it while we were together and when I realized what was happening, on top of the fact he’d been a terrible jerk to me for years, and was starting to act that way towards our child, I just left.

I felt like a terrible person for not giving him the chance to get better, when he swore he was turning his life around. I felt terrible for leaving when I thought he was at his worst, with the health problem having come to a head.

But what I know now was that it was only the first time he said he would stop drinking/or had stopped drinking, when that wasn’t true. And what I know now is that what seemed to me like leaving him at his absolute worst, was actually just me leaving him somewhere in the downward spiral. And if I had made a decision to stay out of guilt, when he begged and begged, I would be feeling like a fool today.

if the last year has taught me anything, it’s that whenever you’ve had enough, it’s always the right time to leave. They will either get their lives together, or be miserable forever, and the fantasy that you will jump off the crazy train just when they pull it out and improve is just that. Mine sure tried to make it look like I was jumping ship and “a quitter“ when I had had enough, but the reality is it is the best decision I have ever made.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

he’s on sober link so I know his BAC is zero when he picks up our little one for visits. He rescheduled twice and then flaked out last weekend.

It seems like it was only a matter of time. I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this.

It's important to make use of this asap to protect your child. Waiting to call him out does no good. Trust your healthy intuition. Is it best to go through lawyers and have this DUI documented that way?
Old 10-03-2019, 12:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’ll def. talk it out w the custody attorney. I don’t think it would get his daytime tested visits pulled which is why I was thinking wait and see if he makes it worse before the overnights are supposed to kick in. I just don’t know whether the DUI itself will be enough to stop the overnights if Kid wasn’t there and he’s been demonstrably not drunk w kid since the order. I hope it’s enough but I don’t know. I can’t really afford the lawyer to do all of this for me so I will keep doing it myself but yeah I need an experienced eye. But being strategic (and lucky) about timing is the only reason I got the order I did that I think is keeping kid safe to date.

Yeah. It was a matter of time. And was super likely between the cancelled visits and the shakes I have seen a few times. But now I actually know with facts instead of just my gut. Sigh.

Old 10-03-2019, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

As affirming as it is to have your instincts validated, this is a mess and I feel for you. I have no wisdom to offer ... I know you can handle this... but I wish you didn’t have to.

Sending a big fierce hug...

Old 10-03-2019, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dig don't be hard on yourself about car & insurance You're not the only one who made missteps with leaving or purposely putting/leaving their name on a car & insurance. Common mistake.

If you're not living at/sharing the residence where that car is parked getting a policy on your own shouldn't be too expensive/hard. Here the A is begging people to use their address for lower insurance rates(rate evasion) because he's not far enough away from his last dui. I've also seen senior parents put everything in their name for an adult A and untangling financially without the A going berserk becomes tedious to say the least.

Heck of a way for more custodial rights but that's the good side of the glass half full. Your main efforts should stay or go there.

Good Luck
Old 10-03-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whew. I work in the insurance field and just want to clarify. They will cover the claim. Policy will likely be non renewed due to DUI but not necessarily depending on company.

You need to get your name off the title and split the insurance. It's a hassle but well worth it. If he takes out a policy and your name is still on the title, ask to be added as an additional interest. This will ensure come claim time your name is also on any claims proceeds.

I hope this helps.

Sorry this happened but wanted to ease your mind a bit about the insurance portion anyways.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Whew. I work in the insurance field and just want to clarify. They will cover the claim. Policy will likely be non renewed due to DUI but not necessarily depending on company.

You need to get your name off the title and split the insurance. It's a hassle but well worth it. If he takes out a policy and your name is still on the title, ask to be added as an additional interest. This will ensure come claim time your name is also on any claims proceeds.

I hope this helps.

Sorry this happened but wanted to ease your mind a bit about the insurance portion anyways.
thank you so much. That makes me feel much better. If the car is totaled, then it won’t be an issue going forward because he would have to get a new policy. We are not married anymore so he can’t just piggyback on mine. And if it isn’t totaled, I will file a notice of non-responsibility or whatever I need to with DMV because he did take ownership of the car. I will definitely put in the effort.

regarding custody, I looked at my order and it stronger than I thought. It says he has to be sober for six months, not just pass sober link tests for six months. So I will keep on top of the case and figure out how it is ultimately resolved, but I feel like I can use this to support my position without even having to go back to court. Because obviously he has zero months sober.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Wonderful wording, and proof.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DiggingForFire View Post

regarding custody, I looked at my order and it stronger than I thought. It says he has to be sober for six months, not just pass sober link tests for six months. So I will keep on top of the case and figure out how it is ultimately resolved, but I feel like I can use this to support my position without even having to go back to court. Because obviously he has zero months sober.
That is great to hear Digging. Next right step as more is revealed.
Old 10-04-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

He was also ordered to AA which I’m sure he doesn’t do

It's Alcoholics Anonymous. By definition, the members don't rat one another out. How in the world would one prove attendance?

Anyone else have visions of an addict sitting at a bar, collecting signatures of AA 'members?'
Old 10-04-2019, 09:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

When it’s court ordered I think they can get an attendance slip of some kind? Don’t know first hand.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
He was also ordered to AA which I’m sure he doesn’t do

It's Alcoholics Anonymous. By definition, the members don't rat one another out. How in the world would one prove attendance?

Anyone else have visions of an addict sitting at a bar, collecting signatures of AA 'members?'
When it's court ordered they need to supply slips, a record, sometimes a reference from a sponsor. It's a ******** really. EXAH.. Had ALL of that and more. Demolished a small forest in affidavits and it was all lies. Just did wot he needed to to look good on paper. Dropped the act as soon as the PO was signed.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, the AA doesn’t really matter from my perspective. It wont force him to change his life and it doesn’t make him any more or less safe w my kid. It matters only in the sense it makes it pretty clear he’s a hard case if he is where he is only a few months after the soberlink/Aa order. The judge seemed to be trying to scare him/talk sense into him. I feel like it’s maybe relevant to decision of whether to charge him criminally (he’s not just some poor slob who miscalculated at happy hour, if there is such a thing.). He’s a serious addict who is a danger even after already pretty serious consequences and after the court ordered attempt to make hIm care.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is good

As alcoholism progresses, recovery is still possible and becomes quite obvious if/when that happens.

May each ill person with this disease of addiction find their path to recovery, however it comes.

Good huge kudos on being aware of protecting yourself and child.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, the car is totaled. So that means the insurance will pay off the loan, which has my name on it too, and pay him out the rest (per our agreement in the divorce that he owns the car). Which is good, as there will no longer be any thing in the world with my name attached to it that is under his control.

I guess also for dramatic effect in the course of future custody disputes, I can now say without hyperbole that he “got drunk and totaled his car”.

Between the events and how terrible he looks at the moment, my sense is that he’s going to unravel even faster for a while. My gut is telling me he is weeks, not years, away from his next health crisis, just by looking at him, and with either no drivers license or a breathalyzer installed in his car to keep the license, throwing himself back into trying to find the next girlfriend to ease the sting will be difficult. And I am not going to give at all on the custody stuff which he tries to use as a way to feel less like a piece of dirt when other things are going poorly.

I just see a lot of self-imposed misery coming and expect it to be drowned in vodka and make everything worse. It has been a quiet couple of months in terms of having to peripherally deal with him. I can see the maelstrom forming now and I am going to have to plant my feet hard not to get sucked in to the mess.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wonder if the predictability makes it worse of better. Sigh.

Courage to you and protect that kid!
Old 10-09-2019, 03:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
[I]

i did that. got quite a few for the price lf a beer. then got cheap- it was less expensive for me to sit at home with a 6 pack and the phone book. grab a name from this page and phone number from another. sign right handed,left handed, drunk, sober.....
its anonymous. of course if the courts called the person was gonna say,"have no clue what your talkin about."
Old 10-09-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't read this all yet but wanted to say thank you for posting. My AH left me and I'm rallying my strength to file for divorce, in great part because of situations like this. Mine recently took a drunken walk off a 12-foot wall and I know I could be held liable for some of his hospitalizations. Posts like this make me realize I need to firmly and thoroughly walk away.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

My husband and I used to go to a large sports restaurant/bar for ballgames, pool, darts , karaoke, and the like. It was in a neighborhood close to a large site of AA meetings. Many meetings, seven days a week.
It was common for many of the AA attendees to come to the bar after the meetings to drink and to get signatures, etc. LOl...sometimes, when a person would finish their DUI program, their buddies would hold a large party at the restaurant ...with free drinks for the one being celebrated....lots of drinking at those parties. The DUI programs were a joke....just something to get through and to gripe about.
I am not saying that it was everyone who attended...certainly not...as there were a huge number pf people who attended the center for AA meetings.
***For the record...the DUI programs were court ordered and sponsored. The court ordered participants were required to attend a certain number of AA meetings in order to "pass" the course. The DUI programs were entirely separate from AA organization.
On another note....on weekend mornings, we would usually go to a local Mom and Pop restaurant for breakfast....and, there were a couple of groups who came and occupied a large tabled....they were members of an ongoing AA group....there was no alcohol served at this restaurant. We saw the same people over and over. They were a very jovial and happy appearing group. They were, obviously people who were actively working their program.