Today, I cried.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today, I cried.

Someone has moved into the house a few doors down. I guess he's been there a couple years now. Loves mowing his lawn (probably has an acre and a half out behind the house) flag flying from the front porch, trims the shrubs out front and everything.

Today I went out to weed-whack the overgrowth along the road. I look toward the little house and there he is, up on a ladder, painting his home. We're having some rare warm weather for September, so he's only dressed in shorts and sneakers. He has the radio on a country station while he paints. For a moment he reminded me of my late husband, before the alcohol took over his life. I remember how hard he worked on our first house, how one of the neighbors said, "I almost didn't recognize you with a shirt on," and the boom box going constantly while he worked.

I have a new love now, but I still miss the man I married, and maybe I just miss being young and having my whole life ahead of me.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sending you a hug.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Velma929,

It's amazing how a sight, sound, or smell will trigger a memory. I'm glad it triggered a good memory. I hope you have a great rest of the day.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I still get those kind of pangs for my AXH too velma, and he still walks among the living(for now). I also have a new love but I think it's normal, when you've loved someone deeply for so long, that their memory will make appearances.

*hugs*
Old 01-14-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Velma, I am going through anticipatory loss and your story is where me and my partner were at just over 10 years ago. My partner is in hospice as of today at 41 years of age and wondering how this will get easier with all of the memories. I don't have enough posts to PM you for the links you suggested. I would be interested in any info you may have based on your personal story.