I’m sorry but..... I’m scared.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:24 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

He does own a old gun, some type of rifle I believe. Of course, it’s never been allowed to enter my home. That’s been my rule. He’s not allowed to have gun here.

I don’t really think he’s into guns anyway. He’s not a hunter, I don’t even know why he has it. I believe it was passed down to him and it’s just there, last I knew it doesn’t even work maybe??

I’m not worried about him with a gun. Then again, I never worried he’d ever hit me either. Verbal and mental abuse is his nature.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:32 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Ptsd

I was once told by a psychiatrist after months of therapy following my divorce, that I had PTSD. I had a very very hard time with that. I had nightmares every single night, relieving it over and over. It was like I couldn’t escape it, therefore it was hard to get over. Or I had dreams where he would come back only to wake up and realize it was only a dream. This went on well beyond a year or so. They had me so drugged up on Xanax and antidepressants and sleeping pills that helped with nightmares. It was awful. I lost a lot of money that year from barely being able to get out of bed, much less operate the farm. That was bad.

I'm afraid this will come back, and maybe this time be worse bc of the abuse. I never had that part with my ex. What if this time, it really does me in. What kind of mother am I.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:35 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I think talking to the cop and the DV hotline is really the best way to go. They have the experience in these situations to guide you through the process, especially when it comes to the restraining order. The police already have their antenna up in regards to him. Every time you talk to someone else about your situation, you're already defending yourself. You are not making it easy for him to get away with his behavior scot free.

I just want you to be aware of something that I've noticed in a couple of your posts. You have a habit of minimizing his horrible behavior. Believe me I get it. Even now, I have to sometimes convince myself that my abuser was exactly just that. I still have thoughts that it wasn't "that bad" because she poked me with needles and shredded beloved dolls and stuffed animals instead of hitting me. And when she DID hit me when I was twelve (and as I type this phrase, there is a voice that still calls out "but it was only once!" which is stupid because she hit me with her slipper almost every day starting when I was age 5, and even as I type THAT that same voice says "but it was only a slipper and not a hard shoe" - I think you see where this is going), I locked myself in the bathroom and saw my swollen lip and started laughing because I looked so pathetic.

This minimizing isn't because we actually like deluding ourselves - it's a survival mechanism designed to get us through day to day. Because it's fricking damned scary and overwhelming when we think what REALLY happened to us. However, minimizing is very much a short-term solution.

Speaking for myself, when I actually started talking about this stuff, I had to fight against the feeling that I was lying and exaggerating. And I put undue pressure on myself to get things 1000% accurate because I didn't want to be "unfair." So if you're feeling that pressure, I just wanted to say that you're not the only one who has that instinct. Don't let that stop you from reaching out to others.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:38 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

well, you are not worried about him with a gun, but i am
he breaks rules. and is predictable in his unpredicability.

so glad to hear you will call the officer. and very interested to hear what she suggests.

take good care.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thank you puzzled. I totally see what you’re saying. It makes sense and I can see myself trapped in that same mindset. I’ve been sitting outside with the dogs and have been out there for hours because he was in here “passed out”. Next thing I know, all my patio lights and house lights are turned off. Leaving it completely black out. So here I am fumbling my way to the back door with only my phone light and 2 puppies tripping me the entire way. Not their fault, they’re just excited. Again - abusive probably? Knowing I was out there. But in I come not saying a word about it, bc God knows I can’t say anything without causing a fight. But he still has something to say... which is, listen to you breathing. You sound like a cow in heat.

So see... those words will stick with me. I find myself trying to avoid social situations a lot more now bc I feel like what must I sound like? I can’t hear it myself. I guess I’m used to it and just don’t notice it. But it’s pointed out to me all the time, so I don’t even want to be around friends too much out in public for fear of what I must sound like!!!

I am sooooo sorry for anyone here who has shared, and those who maybe haven’t shared about their own abusive situations and I truly from the bottom of my heart hurt for anyone else who struggles or has dealt with this. It’s one of the most awful things I’ve ever been through.

I can only hope it gets better, and those hurtful words you hear, eventually leave.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I was in a very abusive relationship. Don’t overwhelm yourself tonight... easier said than done, I know. But you have a game plan... and tomorrow, you’ve decided it begins. That’s where the baby steps truly begin. Clarity and healing begin as well but it takes time. I still suffer from PTSD from loads of trauma but if you’re committed to those steps, life does get better. But tonight, just stay safe... with your phone close... OK?
Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Here’s a thought...what if he’s totally full of ****? Yes, you’ve said you have some breathing disorder but I’ve certainly known people who did and I didn’t notice much out of the ordinary as to how they sounded.

Maybe it’s just another nasty way to further hurt you and undermine your self-confidence? And most of us breathe more heavily under stress...it’s physiological.

You’re seeing the doctor you trust this week...ask HIM.

I wouldn’t believe your ex if he pointed to the sky and said that way was up. Try to remember he’s just a sad, mean, nasty shell of a person. No reason to give his words any validity, right?

Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

He's a very cruel, sadistic man. What does HE sound like, passed out on the couch? Probably a pig.
Maybe you should leave some cinderblocks on the floor around him and turn off all the lights. See how he likes stumbling around in the dark when he wakes up!

Be sure you mention the fact that he has a gun to the policewoman when you call her.
If this continues to drag out, I'd talk to the dog trainer and get your male dog back. You can put him back in training once this person is gone. Explain to the trainers what's going on (creepy abusive a$$ is threatening and hitting you) and I'm POSITIVE they would agree you need the dog home NOW.
And keep your phone close.
Prayers and thoughts for you and your son.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Thank you all. You are helping me so much. You’re giving me the courage and determination to leave tomorrow. I’ve already packed my medications and done other vital important things and put them in my car as he’s passed out. Next I’ll take a few changes of clothes, get some dog food, look for some things my son my need or want and when I wake up. I’ll be prepared to get in car and go. Dog crates are already in my van, as I take my dogs with me a lot as it is, so that’s all set up anyway.

I have ave a lot to do here out in the barns to prepare and make things easier for my bil and whoever else will help. I’m going to leave a “to-do list” for them and hide it so that I can explain where the list is.

Anything else Im missing?? Do I need to go file an actual police report, or just talk to them so they know.

Thank you!! I already feel somewhat relieved.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:37 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Call your police friend and your DV contacts and ask what they recommend about a restraining order. Also ask your attorney on Monday.

Be very very careful tonight. He may be passed out right now but keep your phone at hand, your bedroom door locked and your keys under your pillow.

Let us know you’re okay, please?
Old 09-21-2019, 10:20 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Get any financial papers....credit card statements, bank statements etc.
Old 09-21-2019, 10:48 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost4Now View Post
Yes trail mix... it’s all very confusing. When I first came here, he had never touched me physically. That was the first time he did, just several days ago. Do I really think he will again? I do not know. I’m trying not to wait to see if it will happen again either, but it’s not easy - I have fears, I have generalized anxiety disorder that makes it all 10x worse. I’ve been with him over 4 years and he’s never struck me before. Never. He pushed me out of the way, once or twice but never rough or hard, just kind of moved/pushed me out of his way as I was blocking him from going a particular way. Not making excuses, just explaining what it was. Never had he hit, punched, or anything like that.

I think my asking him to leave is causing him anger and frustration. I guess.

Im sorry. I’m truly not trying to sound like an idiot. I feel bad now.
You are certainly not an idiot, not at all! No reason to feel bad either. You are in a really tough situation and fearful, it's totally understandable that you would rather not deal with it, I can certainly understand why you are scared.

Here is the thing, you are completely capable of carrying this out. Even scared! Look at you already tonight, everything packed up and ready to go in the morning, organized. That's what you are really like, you are stronger than you know.

As for his put downs, your breathing and who knows what else. Yes eventually you will forget them because once you are out of the fog (fear, obligation, guilt) you will realize the source and wonder why you would have ever put any credence on anything he ever said.

Who wouldn't be breathing heavy in the dark, trying to get inside where this terrible man is (who has just shut off all the lights on you!). He plans his little attacks then undermines you, it's abuse, nothing more. If he didn't know about your asthma it would be the way you walk or the sound of your clothes rustling or how you stumbled in the dark - just ridiculous.

Hang in there, you are going to be ok. Tomorrow you will round up the wagons and you will feel much safer.

Don't worry too much about how you will feel after he leaves. You actually want him gone, you will probably actually feel relief and some peace.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:19 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

You inspire me missus. You really do. I'm sending you some luck.. And a little bit of mischief to get you on your way.

You deserve to be free, safe and breathing however you damn well please. Man, I'm so tempted to fly over there and kick that useless eejit in the goolies and see how he's breathing.

Keep us updated.. And just be careful.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:03 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're getting out. Sending you as many good vibes as I can.

Please don't let that monster make you feel bad about yourself. There's a really good book by Sonya Rene Taylor called "The Body is Not an Apology." It's a powerful phrase. Your body is not an apology. You don't have to apologize for how you are on this Earth.

And any decent human being doesn't care about how you sound when you breathe. Normal, kind people care about who you are as a person and your spirit.

Please be safe. Please let us know how it goes (when you can and when it's safe).

Old 09-22-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Lost, I'm sending as many good mojo vibes as I can. I don't think it's a coincidence that Glenjo was listening to Tina Turner yesterday.

But he still has something to say...
I'm not even going to paste the rest of what he said because I don't want to give this dude any more space. He's trying to demean you into silence, because if he makes you ashamed of even breathing then you're less likely to talk.

I often get the question why I never told my parents what was going on. One of the many reasons why was because my abuser told me that if I told them, she would let them know what a bad person I was. When I opened up years later, my sister told me that we weren't abused because we were spoiled brats and we deserved it. It's such a struggle not to internalize it.

I'm afraid this will come back, and maybe this time be worse bc of the abuse. I never had that part with my ex. What if this time, it really does me in.
Years later, I still get major episodes of depression. I am so paranoid of making a mistake that sometimes mere conversations will reduce me into tears. About a year and a half ago, I was so anxious that I actually cracked my back tooth.
However, these days, I am much better about identifying the triggers and the thought processes that lead to the depression/anxiety. So even though I'm still feeling the feelings, just knowing the logic behind those feelings helps me get to the other side that much faster.

What kind of mother am I.
You're the kind of mother who opened up her heart to someone, recognized that the relationship didn't give her what she deserved, and is now taking steps to move on. And who wouldn't want to be that kind of mother?

I know it's really hard to do this, but the next time the dude tries to poison your brain with feeling of self-worthlessness, remind yourself that he's doing it so he can continue to live in your place rent-free.

You may be Lost4Now, but you sure as hell ain't Lost4Ever.
Old 09-22-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Lost4Now, we’re all supporting you today! Sending you positive energy...
Old 09-22-2019, 10:20 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Anything else Im missing?? Do I need to go file an actual police report, or just talk to them so they know.

if you talk to them before tomorrow morning when the courthouse is open,ask them about the procedure to file a restraining order.
and read up here

https://www.womenslaw.org/laws/oh/re...ing-orders/all
Old 09-22-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I’m out...

hey all... well, it took until about 2+ hours ago - but I left and I feel pretty strong for the time being.

I went about my day as normal, even though it was far from normal. My day consisted of getting things in order to be gone for a while. I think I did an OK job.

I tried to get my important things in my van last night. I put them down in the spare tire mount which is under the back seats, under the floor. I skipped things like dog food, as I knew that would be difficult to hide. I can buy another bag (and did). I grabbed my gym bag which I’m often seen carrying around as I go to the pool at the gym. I put 4 days of outfits and the one on my back.

I tried to act as normal as possible all day. Perhaps even maybe on the friendlier side. I told him I was going to go meet a friend for dinner. I do this at times, so knew it wouldn’t sound out of the ordinary. I told him I fed the dogs and that I put them in the barn kennel (where I keep them when I need to for whatever reason usually if I’m out of town and have someone watching the place - (they’re normally house dogs) they’d be ok and good until I got back and I’d bring them in when I got back. He asked why I put them out there, and I said because I thought I’d give you a break from them while I’m out enjoying myself too (they’re hyper lol). He believed me. They really were in my van at the time, being good. He was inside and toasted as always - so knew I was going to have time to say what needed said and go to van and pull off.

I left and I’m still maybe somewhat in disbelief that I did this. I don’t know. I haven’t cried. I haven’t really had any thoughts other than - getting pups settled here, and trying to make things as simple as possible to not burden my family. They’re giving me my space, but have let me know they’re there if I need them. Only thing really that was said was by my father, that he was going to come over here to my house tomorrow and tell him to get the F out. He’s livid, but I don’t want him coming here. I want the police report of him being asked to leave. I think this would be better.

I don’t know if I did the right thing by lying about being back, but I was afraid to say I’m leaving for good, plus I’m not - he’s in MY home. I do not like being out of MY HOME!!! I’m a bit angry about that.

He has no phone, he will be oblivious I’m gone until morning. He passes out, and never realizes even I do come home. He will notice tomorrow when my van is gone and puppies are gone. What he will do from there, no clue.

Thank you all very much for the support and encouragement to do the RIGHT thing. Thank you for checking in on me. I hope I continue the strength and indifferent way I feel right now.

Hugs and Blessings.

Old 09-22-2019, 06:47 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Wishing you continuing courage and freedom.
Well done.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:51 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

I don’t know if I did the right thing by lying about being back, but I was afraid to say I’m leaving for good, plus I’m not - he’s in MY home.

I think you did the right thing. This sounds safer.

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing. I and I would think others have been checking in to see if you got away. So I'm heaving a sigh of relief right now.

Who knows how you will feel in the coming days and weeks. It will probably take time to heal and move on.

Big hug to you.