Avoiding/scamming out of the consequences of a DWI

Old 09-18-2019, 10:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Avoiding/scamming out of the consequences of a DWI

After reading the posts about alcoholics trying to beat soberlink and/or other devices it brings up the issue of avoiding consequences. But by playing the system and/or avoiding penalties sometimes criminally this helps show the true character of a person.

I've seen those with dwi's beg other people to let them use their address to lower or get insurance which sounds like fraud. Also seen them ask others to put or even buy a car in their name to avoid higher insurance rates. Not only are many of these things dishonest but criminal. As they say the cover up is frequently as bad or worse than the crime. If a person gets a dwi with no accident with a legal chance to avoid jail why commit insurance fraud or even other fraud because many lie to get jobs, apartments, into clubs, organizations etc or anything else with a serious background check. They wind up compounding their problems. And burden others.

But those helping the alcoholic after the fact by buying things in their name like cars and insurance or allow their address to be used are not only complicit but enabling the alcoholic even more by helping them avoid the consequences.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thequest,

That is very good advice. I had never even though of them doing something like that.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've seen people enable like that under the premise the offender will have to drive to keep a job etc but they are also putting money in their pocket that will be used on their habit by not having to spend it on higher insurance rates or not having driving related job as an employment option for a while anyway.

I know it's tough to watch a family member or friend go through tough times but those times are of their own doing. Penalties and consequences are needed for illegal and dangerous acts. Drunk driving is one of them.

I think many give a dwi offender slack because they probably drove a drunk a few times themselves and it's easier to view family or friends as a victim of sorts.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am guilty

Fairly early on my addict got arrested for DWI. I picked her up at the State police station & drover her home. Next day paid to get her car out of police impound.

Hired the best DWI defense attorney in the County former State Prosecutor. Hired his suggested expert witness. Former State Police Captain who oversaw all State police policy & procedure concerning DWI.

He did a complete examination of exactly what the officers did from time of arrest to point of release. Wrote a huge report detailing numerous irregularities.

After the prosecution read that report they quickly cut a deal reducing it down to reckless driving (no loss of driving privileges).

She was drunk at the time of arrest. Constantly drives under the influence.

At the time I was very pleased with the results. However today looking back just serves as one example of how I was not helping her at all.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hardlessons, I want to be your friend. You really go to the line!

Honestly, I'm sorry you were ever involved with her but your tenacity and smarts can really be used fora greater purpose.

That's a boundary thing of course. I have always told everyone, I don't do bail, so if you get arrested, don't call me. I joke about it but I'm serious lol.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Trailmix

I was all in with her. All in! Above was just one example. I completely erased consequences in her life. I thought I was giving her a chance for a better life. The reality of my actions with her is far different than what I was trying to achieve.

Please don't be sorry concerning my involvement with her. I was a very willing participant. I am not ashamed of my involvement / relationship with her. I am not ashamed at all for exactly who & what she is.

I am ashamed & sorry for how it all turned out. I certainly didn't help her much at all. Unless something drastically has changed in her life since I last spoke to her. I doubt that has happened but it is possible.

PS you are my friend you have helped me tremendously from all your thoughtful posts not only to me but also to others.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Weird.. Was just thinking about this. EXAH stole a substantial amount of money from a clients home.. His biggest regret was that he blew it on booze and travel instead of investing in our lil nest egg.

Unfortunately he wasn't caught but if he had I'm sure any property we had bought with stolen money would have been seized. I could have been charged as well. Tick tock.. There's other stuff he's done. If he's still doing it for an extra bit of cash he'll certainly end up in gaol.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Laws may vary from state to state.

Registering a car in a different town: I'm not even sure how that would work, unless the alcoholic lied and said that was where he / she lived. That's nothing to do with being an alcoholic, as far as I know. I could get a discount on my auto insurance if I drove less than 18 miles to work (or something like that.)

I don't think we changed the registration on the cars when Late AH had an OUI. I think, as long as he lived in the same household, and was listed as an occasional driver of the car, we were required to pay extra.

I did have a friend who had his live-in girlfriend register his car in her name, I guess to lower the premium because he wasn't the principle driver. When she left him (in 'her' car) there was nothing he could do.

Dad and Mom lost half their life savings when Dad caused a fatal OUI accident.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
Trailmix

I was all in with her. All in! Above was just one example. I completely erased consequences in her life. I thought I was giving her a chance for a better life. The reality of my actions with her is far different than what I was trying to achieve.

Please don't be sorry concerning my involvement with her. I was a very willing participant. I am not ashamed of my involvement / relationship with her. I am not ashamed at all for exactly who & what she is.

I am ashamed & sorry for how it all turned out. I certainly didn't help her much at all. Unless something drastically has changed in her life since I last spoke to her. I doubt that has happened but it is possible.

PS you are my friend you have helped me tremendously from all your thoughtful posts not only to me but also to others.
I know a senior parent who did similar for their adult child.

He thought not pressuring them to payback a $20,000 plus loan while he went bar hopping and to numerous recreational venues year round would push them over the edge. He literally was playing games while he stiffing people for money. The parent also enabled the heck out of him and never challenged him when abused privileges, ran up bills and lived like a fracking pig in his presence. Why because they hoped time & age would mature/rid him of the alcoholic lifestyle among other things. He later gave the A $4,000 for a car because they needed for their first 'real' job in a decade, he hoped a good job would temper the A, nope gave them more money to recreate.

Needless to say the A drinks more than ever and has suffered the physical consequences and unable to maintain or find a new job because he now only wants a gig that doesn't conflict with his recreational lifestyle.

Point being any help or favors for an active alcoholic or addict no matter how seemingly harmless or well intended are enabling the A or addict. And could put yourself at risk of becoming a criminal in cases of insurance fraud. Or risk one's own insurance coverage if on the same policy.

Should ad they let the alcoholic on their auto insurance policy after they were warned about a dui and their excessive drinking.

Note: The formal name for using a false address for lower insurance premiums is called 'rate evasion'

https://www.autoloansolutions.ca/blo...car-insurance/