Origin of your Screen Name

Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Origin of your Screen Name

Hi ALL,

So this morning I was getting ready for work and I was thinking about some of the screen names I see on SR. How did these great people i meet everyday come up with their screen name. Your screen name is the first glimpse and introduction to a person. I know some screens names are to the point, but some leave you wondering, how did they come up with that, what dose it mean. Things that make you go Hmmmm. So I though it would be a an interesting topic find out for those that want to reply.

My screen name is Ironwill. It comes from the classic Disney movie with the same name from 1994. i saw the movie and it resonated in me that same determination that I had. To never give up even when all odds are against you. To have the courage and will to go up against anything that life puts in front of you. My first use of Ironwill was with my Dial-up (so slow) AOL account name. I know showing my age. I still use for many things that require a screen name today. It also helps that it my first name is William, but I don't go by that. Leave you with a mystery.

Well there you have it the origin of my name. It means a lot to me and why i have continues to use variations of it for the past 25 years.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I suppose mine is pretty obvious! Newlife2019 refers to the first full year after I divorced my XAH after 36 years of marriage.....dealing with his alcoholism the first 15 years and last 7 years of that "marriage," with a 14-year period of sobriety in between (even that period kind of sucked)!

I'm still traumatized, and working hard to build my "new life," but I'm getting there, slowly but surely!
Old 09-18-2019, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

ironwill…..a very interesting topic....and, one that I have frequently wondered, myself!
First of all, concerning mine...I realize that it is misspelled.....and, that it causes many to assume that I am male, on first glance...lol....which, I am not.
My first memories of the dandelion began deep in the mountains of West Virginia, on my grandmother's farm. Early in the Spring, when no fresh greens of any kind were available...my grandmother and I would go digging for young, tender dandelion shoots....they were such a delight, with a drizzle of warm salad dressing---made of hot bacon drippings, sugar and vinegar....made in a cast iron skillet on a wood-burning stove.
Then there is the beauty aspect of the humble dandelion....One woman's weed is another woman's flower. I love the sight of the splashes of buttery-yellow in a lawn of green grass.
I have seen how suburban owners of manicured lawns have almost a phobia against the dandelion....which I have never shared or understood. Some even fight a (losing) yearly battle of actually digging them out by hand. I learned, early on, that, if you just keep the lawn cut short...it all appears green and the neighbors never know....lol....
Then, there is the fun part of the dandelion...what child has not been fascinated by blowing on the fuzzy tops of the dandelion and watching the sweet little parachutes. attached to a single seed, float away on the wind....
One of our first botany lessons, right there.
Although, often maligned, I am attracted to the simple durability and humbleness of the dandelion which serves us so well...nourishing our bodies....satisfying our esthetic senses and allowing our child-like playfulness....

I am proud to call myself "dandylion".
for the record...the misspelling comes from the fact that I couldn't remember how to spell it, when I first registered....so, I went by my grandmother's phonetic sound.....

By the way, Ironwill….I did catch the "will" on the end of your screen name...as standing for William....of iron-like determination....
Old 09-18-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, when I came I was hopeful4 so many things, but mainly that I could change my XAH! Wow, how we grow. So now I am still hopeful4 many things, but it's change within myself, not others.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

dandylion - I'm a WVian too!

Since I've been on-line I've used a version of hlao from my favorite book ever - Watership Down. That was my original name on here (hlao-roo, I think). I changed it to Thlayli - another character from the book - when I became concerned about my AH snooping. Plus Thlayli supposedly means "big wig" in rabbit-ese b/c that character has a tuft of hair on his head and I have super curly hair so I thought it was fitting.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maudcat is the name of the late, great Maudie, a calico cat I befriended. She had somehow been living on the campus of the university where I was working and getting an advanced degree. I fed her for two years before bringing her home.
She turned out to be the sweetest cat, lived to be 20 years old.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, when I was a child

kidding! Truth is, I was eating trail mix once while looking for a username.

Chocolate and Macadamia Nuts
https://acleanbake.com/sunshine-trail-mix-with-coconut/
yield: 3 cups prep time: 10 min total time: 10 min

3/4 cup diced dried tropical fruit, (e.g. mango, papaya, pineapple)
1/2 cup raw or toasted cashews
1/2 cup dry roasted macadamia nuts
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shredded coconut (personally I'd leave this out or use baked fresh coconut)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate
1/3 cup raw Brazil nuts

Old 09-18-2019, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow this is cool to see what people are sharing! Thanks for starting this ironwill.

My screen name is far from what I’d do in “real” life , I’m old enough to predate texting culture so I like to communicate in full sentences using full words and spaces ;-)

But it’s very me in the sense of WHAT it means. We all have today. As a former drinker, that meant any sober day I could get. Or days I could string together.

Farther along in my own recovery, it’s we all have today. Today to not drink, if that’s what you’re battling. Today to do better, be better. Today to be a force for good. Whatever it is you’re facing, you can have today.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Trail mix I love how your share comes with a recipe!
Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

mine's pretty straightforward.....i have a head harder than cement, thus ANVIL. some say i have just about as much finesse..........LOL
Old 09-18-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh Trailmix... lol

Mine is a bit obvious. And yes I live in NYC. Ha
Old 09-18-2019, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Maudcat is the name of the late, great Maudie, a calico cat I befriended. She had somehow been living on the campus of the university where I was working and getting an advanced degree. I fed her for two years before bringing her home.
She turned out to be the sweetest cat, lived to be 20 years old.

What advanced degree did was she doing?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was thinking about the poem "In the Desert" by Stephen Crane:

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, “Is it good, friend?”
“It is bitter—bitter,” he answered;

“But I like it
“Because it is bitter,
“And because it is my heart.”

At the time, I was really very bitter about my sister's behavior, but "Bitter" was not a place where I wanted to go. "Puzzled" seemed to be a kinder assessment of what was going on with me so I went with that.

On a completely geeky note, my heart leaps up a bit when someone refers to me as "PH" because of the chemistry reference (I am not a chemist, but I like chemistry experiments.)
Old 09-18-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Teehee is an ancestral surname on my grandmothers side when the family lived somewhere in the Tennessee/Georgia line area. I chose the picture of a Cherokee village as my photo because it embodies a snippet of the heritage of the old Cherokee family name with a semblance of what life must have been like, something that has always intrigued me since I was a child.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's obvious- a reminder to myself- my choices, my options, my decisions,
my life. It's the only thing I have control over.

Thanks for the thread Ironwill
Old 09-18-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WOW. These are all great shares from everybody. I blows my mind how great these are. I love all the back stories.

TeeHee i loved that you included info on your photo. My photo is of our Silver Lab "MOBY" short for "Moby One Kenobi". Hes our 90LB lap dog. Big into star wars at our house.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I was a lurker & reading on this forum (and generally online) for about a year. Due to the relationship with my addict (her) & learning all about addiction I was not doing well. Our relationship was going downhill & so was I - fast.

I made a decision to detach from her which I did in June of 2017. There was no discussing it with her I just stopped talking to her or seeing her. For a while she did the same.

A few days after detaching from her, I was in complete mental panic mode & decided to post my story here on SR F&F Substance Abuse.

I was extremely afraid & nervous to post my story because I thought at the time no one would believe this crazy mess I was in, no one would care to respond, or I might be completely ridiculed for how stupid I was. I literally felt sick over posting my story.

My mind was absolutely spinning when I registered here & it asked me for a user name. I could not think clearly about anything. HL came to me like in a flash out of the blue.

I knew leaving her was going to be extremely difficult for me. I am not sure how I was able to do it. Its still difficult for me today. For better or worse, she will always be a part of me.

I thought I knew everything, but she taught me very hard lessons concerning subjects which I didn't want to know anything about.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Peek a boo is what my cute little worm likes
to do. Peeking in to check things out around
SR, then quietly disappear.

aasharon90 stands for.....

aa for alcoholics anonymous, Sharon
is my name and 90 represents the yr.
1990 when I entered recovery, some
29 yrs ago incorporating this program
of recovery on a continuous bases to
achieve many of lifes wonderful gifts.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I made up FireSprite for myself when I joined this site because I wanted something all new that was about me, not RAH, & reflected my inner self somewhat, in a way that doesn't chain me to this battle with addiction. This is where I'm at but not necessarily who I am, kwim?

I am a red-haired Sagittarian & carry an unusual amount of Fire Signs in my Birth Chart, so it's the element that I identify with most easily on a core/basic level. Coupled with my Sicilian/German/Irish lineage & whoa boy, no wonder I have a strong personality, eh??

Sprites are another mythical form of fairies, impish & magical... which reminds me to be a kid again sometimes & let my Inner Child out to play.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The username Peaceful Water just popped into my head. My life was chaotic, loud, nuts and generally insane for so many years. Through my parents drinking, then my drinking along with hubby's drinking, also my chaotic eating disorder and codie traits.

I have gradually settled down into peaceful water. Calm, clear and clean.