Brain plays tricks

Old 09-16-2019, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain plays tricks

Every now and then something makes me question my own judgement. Am I just over-reacting? Am I making this up? Imagining things?
Then I remember the bad stuff. It's frustrating that after so long, I still have to do a recap to prove myself right. I'm doing that today. I think it's because I had a great weekend (AH was in the background, not terribly involved) with kids and friends.
Possibly need to start journaling. Anyone got any tips on how to do this without risking someone else reading it?
Old 09-16-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The most helpful thing I did post-divorce from XAH was to write a (very long) list of the alcoholic incidents and resulting personal and family traumas over the years. When I felt guilty for leaving, one quick read-through of this document set me straight and made me stop questioning my decision.

I would advise you do the same. When everything is pulled together into one document, the picture becomes much clearer and the self-doubt tends to disappear.

Could you type it on a computer and title it something entirely unrelated to the A? Something related to your job? Perhaps cut and paste unrelated pages at the beginning of the doc in case the A opens it. He would likely stop reading after a couple of paragraphs.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. I share a similar struggle. I second guess myself too...this weekend I was second guessing every other minute. Journalling sounds like a good idea. Good luck to you out there.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I keep my journals in a locked briefcase in my closet. $50 well spent.

If you like journalling electronically, you can password protect documents or folder too. And there's online, password protected private journalling services like Penzu that you can use in an incognito browser.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Womaticus,

I'm glad you had a great weekend. I think it's a good idea to start journaling. That way you have a record of everything that has happened. I know my memory is terrible and if I don't write something down, I most likely will forget about it. If you have microsoft word you can password protect a document. If you don't and you use google docs all your docs are stored online and your documents are secured by your login. If you don't have the password to login you can't get to the documents. I hope this helps you out. I'm a computer engineer by trade, so let me know if you have any issues. I can try and help you out. Have a great day.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Great advice. Didn't even think about password protected word doc. Great idea.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have done the same things with my ex alcoholic husband and my current one. I keep record of everything by date and with great detail via a password protected word document. The crazy making makes me crazy and I don't like for things to be good and then cause me to question reality, so my password protected word doc helps me journal the truth without fear of someone getting into it that shouldn't.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here’s how I tracked things. Having a snapshot made some things clearer. You could put initials for things you might not want to be seen. Some of the things I listed were exercise, sleep, and reading (self care) but I also noted whether or not he drank or interacted with me or our son. Patterns emerged with the drinking/interaction for sure.

Ugh...I was going to paste a pic off my phone. Anyone know how?
Old 09-17-2019, 06:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Getting away from specific events that happened and more firmly into my own healing has brought up new stronger ways of breaking through cognitive dissonance.

There’s no earthly way of knowing/Which direction we are going/There’s no knowing where we’re rowing/Or which way the river’s flowing/Is it raining?/Is it snowing?/Is a hurricane a-blowing?/Not a speck of light is showing/So the danger must be growing….” Willy Wonka, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

interventions for survivors of relational trauma include brain-wise interventions such as EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing), mindfulness based cognitive behavioral therapy, expressive arts therapies and other modalities which allow release of trauma. Cognitive dissonance can be diminished. Survivors heal and moving into a place of thriving.
My recovery currently includes a series of podcasts I listen to on a regular basis that describe the trauma I've been through. In this, I realize I'm not alone. Many others have been through this and have healed.

Where focus goes, energy flows.

Whatever it takes.

There have been specific events I've dealt with by meditation: re-visiting them mentally with kindness, new skills and a lot of support from others who understand. (DV advocates, etc.)
Old 09-17-2019, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thlayli View Post
Here’s how I tracked things. Having a snapshot made some things clearer. You could put initials for things you might not want to be seen. Some of the things I listed were exercise, sleep, and reading (self care) but I also noted whether or not he drank or interacted with me or our son. Patterns emerged with the drinking/interaction for sure.

Ugh...I was going to paste a pic off my phone. Anyone know how?
You need to upload it to a photo saving site - this is a good one:

https://postimages.org/signup

Once you have uploaded your image there, click on Share and copy the Direct Image line

Back here at SR , just go in to post a message and click on the Insert Image box at the top of the message box (looks like a yellow postcard), paste your URL in there that's it!
Old 09-18-2019, 05:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Looks like it worked! Thanks

The "use" column was days that I knew he was either drinking or smoking pot. I also tracked whether or not he talked with me or DS, if I cried, or if I felt dread when I was driving home from work. I liked this format because I didn't have to go through and read/write details to see patterns that went on for months.

Nice thing about his leaving. I NEVER feel dread about coming home now.
Old 09-18-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I suppose there's a balance here...journal for your sanity, remembering the bad times and to work through events. But , don't forget to do your moving forward work.
Im having quite intense flashbacks which are getting into my brain when i wake, driving, dreams erc.. I need to get them out of my head and onto paper. And not just a long list of bad things he has done, but also how I felt, what i would do differently now.
Over 10 years ago, AH told me he was going to go to a wedding alone in another state because he believed I was depressed and quite frankly, he didn't think he would have a very good time with me. I ended up going and had fun, but if I had my time again.....
as my counselor says, 'in your defence...' I had very little children, I was exhausted, I had no family support, I had an AH who was emotionally absent, lacked empathy and was intolerant of the noise my chn and I brought to the house.
Actually, nothing much has changed. The chn are just older.