SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   Medical reason for drinking (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/441867-medical-reason-drinking.html)

Healingbegins 09-11-2019 09:32 AM

Medical reason for drinking

AH says reason for drinking so much has to do with low serotonin levels. He drinks to get that adrenaline rush to get his levels up but then the drinking (because he consumes so much at one time) drops those levels. He then continues to drink and becomes aggressive to try to bring that level back up again. Sorry if confusing, its kind of confusing to me too. LOL
Doctor has told him this so now he really thinks he doesn't have an alcohol problem per se, its a serotonin problem.
Says this serotonin problem is the reason why he just doesn't care. Doesn't care that we are separated, doesn't care about his job or responsibilities. Doesn't care if he lives or dies. Doesn't care that I don't like his drinking. Doesn't care about anything.
The dr said this is why he drinks. Now, I wasn't there to hear this come out of the doctors mouth. This is what he is telling me. Just curious to know if anyone else has ever been told this? I can kinda see it but then again, I can kinda see it as an excuse.
He isn't trying to win be back by any means, but still likes to keep tabs on me and my activities. But, if you didn't care because of a medical issue, then you just wouldn't care right? I'm confusing myself with this. LOL Sorry guys. Just looking for thoughts before my brain turns to mush. LOL

Thlayli 09-11-2019 09:43 AM

I think there is evidence out there that people with addictions do feel less pleasure from things and this is part of what drives their addictions. https://www.npr.org/2011/06/23/13734...s-feel-so-good

I do not in any way, shape, or form believe that his doctor thinks it is okay to drink. His addiction could certainly interpret it that way.

ironwill 09-11-2019 10:07 AM

I don't know of any doctor that would condone drinking to fix a medical problem. I cant see the doctor saying take 1 alcoholic drink in the morning and evening and that should fix it. If not then we will readjust your dose. I'm not buying it. Alcoholics will do anything to keep you on the hook. They need your support to survive. Without it, they have no where to turn but themselves and that's the last place they want to look. We are here for you Healingbefins. Don't worry about your brain. It seems to be focused on what it needs to do for yourself. Just enjoy the day and do something to bring joy to your heart.

SmallButMighty 09-11-2019 10:31 AM

If your AH actually cared about his serotonin levels he'd take antidepressants, not drink like a fish.

Quack quack quack....

AnvilheadII 09-11-2019 10:47 AM

you seriously aren't buying one word of this crap........are you?
that he has a serotonin problem not a drinking problem????
and that a board certified doctor told him this?

PeacefulWater12 09-11-2019 10:48 AM

A pile of poo!

Wombaticus 09-11-2019 10:56 AM

Heartfelt human interactions and exercise would also have a positive impact on serotonin and mood.
What the doctor possibly said was that he has low serotonin and alcohol temporarily gives it a boost.
It's all an avoidance tactic.
My AH told me he sits up late on the weekend because I'm going to bed so early - basically because Im no fun.
At the end of the day, they can say whatever they want. In real life, its hurting you and that's incredibly hard. X

LovePeaceSushi 09-11-2019 11:13 AM

Another example of an alcoholic hearing what they want to hear!

pdm22 09-11-2019 12:06 PM

The alcohol would boost serotonin levels short term, decrease them long term. If he’s worried about his serotonin levels, he could also quit substances that are depressants and that decrease his serotonin levels long term (alcohol), get aerobic exercise at least 30 minutes a day, get at least 15 minutes of sunshine a day, eat foods that are rich in typtophan and probiotics, get adequate sleep..

I’d be curious to hear what the doctor said exactly, and not through his filter. I had someone once tell me, a long time smoker, that there was some medical condition that she had, and she said her doctor told her thank god she smokes. I forget what it was now, and how the smoking was supposed to help, but as a reformed smoker myself, and knowing what it’s like to be addicted and not wanting to (initially) deal with it, even I knew that was bull***t, and that a doctor would never say that. Twisted logic to protect the addictive behaviors, no doubt. :/

trailmix 09-11-2019 12:30 PM

Your brain feels mushy because it's all BS/nonsense. The mind doesn't like nonsense.

This is made up stuff. While serotonin might play in to this, that has exactly ZERO to do with his alcoholism.

Alcohol is not a medication, although how often do you hear an alcoholic say they are treating depression or anxiety or whatever with alcohol?

It just doesn't work like that.

trailmix 09-11-2019 12:33 PM

double post

Healingbegins 09-11-2019 01:02 PM

SmallbutMighty, quack quack quack....lol that's kinda what I thought when I first heard it...like who is this doctor and what am I paying for?
I did tell him there are many ways to boost your mood without alcohol so it didn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I get bummed too but alcohol isn't my go to.
I was going to call the Dr myself but then thought, meh, whats the point? I cant help him even if . I don't even know. Ironwill you are right, why am I worrying about this and not doing something I enjoy today...getting caught back up in it. I do have to work tonight so I will try to stay focused lol

sortofhomecomin 09-11-2019 01:04 PM

Medical reason for drinking? Well, yes, it's called alcoholism.

mylifeismine 09-11-2019 01:42 PM

Healing, that's an award winning quacker there.....

dandylion 09-11-2019 01:55 PM

:duck:duck:duck:duck:duck…….

suki44883 09-11-2019 02:01 PM

Aren't you currently separated from your AH or do I have you confused with someone else? In any case, your AH is spewing BS. Just more lies.

August252015 09-11-2019 02:01 PM

Wow. I did a lot of lying and made loads of excuses when drinking but this leaves me gaping.

Alcohol doesn't solve medical problems. Whatever might need to be done to his "serotonin levels" or anything else, alcohol makes it worse.

Dazedandconfus 09-11-2019 02:09 PM

Thats not authentic. Seriously.

Sasha1972 09-11-2019 03:22 PM

Maybe in some twisted way, depression is why he drinks - in that he self-medicates with alcohol to avoid uncomfortable emotions, rather than using healthier coping skills. But I really doubt his doctor meant that it is fine and a medically approved good idea for him to keep drinking.

Also, “serotonin levels” is not a medical condition.

PuzzledHeart 09-11-2019 06:39 PM

Well, I just had to scratch this itch...

https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/arh21-2/114.pdf

Funny enough, it didn't recommend drinking more alcohol to address the issue.