Embarrassed...

Old 09-05-2019, 02:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarrassed...

I sold my ah's truck over the weekend. It needed a little work (I told the guy who bought it that it was run off the road by a drunk driver" but didn't mention that the drunk was driving it). Today he came to work on it. I gave him the key and went back in the house. About 15 minutes later, he knocks on the door (with his foot which I thought was strange at first) I opened the door and he was standing there with his arms full of vodka bottles asking me if I recycle.........
I was mortified.
I told him to just leave them there on the step. My AH can clean them up when he gets home. He's going to be mad again that I let the kids see this but I just don't care.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The embarrassment is one of the hardest parts about dealing with an alcoholic spouse, isn't it? You know you're not to blame (you didn't drink the vodka, after all) but you still feel mortified, ashamed, and pitied. It's hard enough going through life dealing with your own mess-ups, let alone bearing the burden for someone else's.

Feeling for you!
Old 09-05-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

you are not the reason why "the kids will see this"!!! those are HIS bottles. he bought them, he drank them and he kept them with him in his vehicle.

i understand the mortification with the new owner. but again, this is not YOUR doing. in fact, i'd take a picture, for the record.

have you thought further on where this is all headed? and what steps you might take?
Old 09-05-2019, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

oddsunflower…….you would probably be amazed at what the kids al ready know. Adults almost always underestimate this.....
Of course, I do understand how you hate for the kids to see ugly scenes...because they will remember these things, when they grow up.....
Old 09-05-2019, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Your children are grown up oddsunflower?

I wouldn't worry for a minute what your AH will think, did he think the bottles would just evaporate? He put zero thought in to disposing of them so perhaps you should do the same.

My Mom was a stay at home Mom for 17 years. One day, after around 20 years, she decided she had had enough. She had a job in a store, she rented her own apartment and she moved out and got a divorce (my younger Sister lived with her for a few years, I did for a few months - so they shared expenses).

Well, she was happy as a clam. She didn't have to listen to him drone anymore (she was well past listening to anything he had to say anyway) but she was happy. A bit angry too, that he had turned out to be such a poor husband I guess, she didn't talk about it that much.

She made friends, she always had friends really, she didn't let him isolate her. She would go out and have fun, she enjoyed her work too.

Anyway, stay at home moms can move in to the work force, employers love reliable people! So that's an option if needed.

You aren't stuck you know, there is a different life out there if you choose that.
Old 09-06-2019, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

You hear about these empty bottle stashes a lot on this forum. They can't put them in the rubbish?
Old 09-06-2019, 08:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'll never forget the day I decided to flip our mattress. We have a California king, so it was no easy task....I got that baby vertical, only to discover about 20 vodka bottles on my husband's side.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oddflower and sushi you are not alone. I really loved having my new mattress delivered and being totally humiliated when the guys took off the old mattress and I am standing there with them and there are 30 empty bottles on the boxspring 🤦*♀️ They cause us so much embarrassment and grief.