Whose responsibility is it?

Old 08-29-2019, 03:48 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Even if there was ...something...there is no guarantee he'd stay where he was placed.

If he's unable to work, he may qualify for SSDI.

People can't be committed involuntarily, (for better or worse).
Old 08-29-2019, 03:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I made a vow to myself a year ago to let go of this situation. Thanks for talking me off the ledge and reminding me of all the reasons I need to keep that vow. From the bottom of my heart, I am grateful to you all.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CakeLady4000 View Post
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. I made a vow to myself a year ago to let go of this situation. Thanks for talking me off the ledge and reminding me of all the reasons I need to keep that vow. From the bottom of my heart, I am grateful to you all.
You bed Cake. I've spent so much time on that cliff sometimes teetering on the ledge myself. It is why we are here.

Someday perhaps there will be more effective ways to reach these people although I still believe in free will and everyone's right to muck up their life if that is what they see fit.

Keep taking care of yourself and praying . . . . sometimes the biggest thing prayer changes is ourselves.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The thing is it's not YOUR responsibility to help an ex-abf. As those above have noted, there are shelters in all cities. If you supply money/housing you are simply enabling him. It is his decision to drink himself to death, if that's what happens. I'm speaking as a recovering alcoholic (27 years) who has learned that the only people who get/stay sober are those who want it more than anything else.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
The thing is it's not YOUR responsibility to help an ex-abf.
And since you are in another state entirely, you wouldn't know except for other people closer to him relaying information to you. Why aren't they stepping up? Why don't they feel responsible?

Every situation is different. But I suspect in many cases when someone states, "There isn't any family to help" what is truer is "The family has washed their hands of him / her."

My family is pretty average. If the excrement hit the oscillator, I would be taken in, for a set period of time, under a particular set of expectations. Certainly the offer wouldn't be for an indefinite period of time, and since they're tea-totalers, probably no drinking.