Unbelievable

Old 08-29-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Your post today is really touching Dazed. I completely get what you mean. It's not a want to it's a need to and that makes it so hard.

If they were completely horrible you could just flip them off and storm out the door (slamming it!). I guess we can be grateful that's not the case really. That has it's own set of anguish.

Your story reminded me of my first Husband. Fairly recently divorced I too got a flat tire, while out. Who did I call? Him, who else would I call lol - I didn't know anyone else who would help. He showed up quickly, fixed it up and I was good to go. I won't mention the time I let the radiator run dry and the car over-heated in rush hour traffic, or the time I let the radiator freeze.

My ex isn't a bad man, he is an angry man at his core and I had enough of being on the receiving end of that anger. I was scared and I married him at 19 so this was really jumping off a cliff.

We haven't talked for years, however to this day I would still call him if needed and he would still help (as I would help him if he needed me to) and yes I still have love for him and always will.

It's sad! But we work through it, things get brighter, you will feel better you will feel freer and safe you will get through this, so will he.

I too hope he seeks recovery eventually.

Your painting is beautiful!
thank you. I texted my kids today to let them know and basically said the same to them. My eldest, who always thought he wasn’t good enough responded with this:

Sorry but it's the opposite. Your the one Who stayed, tried and bettered him. You deserve a million times more effort then he ever gave. You have so many more adventures and joy ahead of you now

so so there’s the love and loyalty for me from my kid. but its good to know trail, that perhaps my stbx and I can part with love. Thank you again.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Some important steps here. So so sad and it may well save both of your lives.

Keep posting Dazed. We are with you.
Old 08-29-2019, 03:01 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Your name suits you bekind. Heartfelt thanks....
Old 08-29-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Signed.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:12 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I mean he broke the windows! Police, ambulances, hospitals...what was I supposed to do??!!!?? Drunken tirades, naked walks, verbal abuse, emotional abandonment good god, how could I stay after that? I mean really?
Old 08-29-2019, 05:14 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I had hope for so long, I gave chances....it escalated this time. It scared me. He just signed. Walked out. I had to pay the notary. Now he’s silent and I’m numb. I mean come on stay married and put everything at risk?? God help me.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:03 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

DC, of course this hurts. But look at what you wrote above--he did some really dangerous and unpredictable things in this last binge. Alcoholism is progressive.

You had to protect yourself, and you stood to lose a whole lot if he hit someone drunk, set your house on fire, got out of control and did something beyond verbal abuse to you. It happens, even when people "would never do that".

Keeping yourself safe is not being mean to someone else. Not keeping yourself safe is a great unkindness to you and your soul.

He had many chances to get sober with you and didn't take them seriously enough to follow through.

Now, by no longer being his unconditional safety net, you have given him the opportunity to get serious about recovery and stand on his own two feet and become the man he is capable of being.

I think you did the right thing for both of you.
He may finally really get it. And maybe down the road, when he has at least a year or maybe more, you can see if there is anything left to rebuild. But not now. Now you have to heal yourself, and he has to make the choice to pick up the recovery tools he's being offered, and to use them. Or not.

He is far more than his addiction, just as I am, or my mother was. But we have to do the work to get off the substances, quit using / hurting our loved ones, and step up to become our best selves.

I guess what I'm saying is you have acted with honor and respect. You treated him more than fairly in the settlement from what you've told us, and before that he had so many chances to stop before he destroyed the trust of the relationship.

This whole thing isn't out of the blue. He's simply stunned that his tactics didn't work this time. I suspect that is why he signed and left so quietly. And in the long run, it is as good for him as for you that your held your boundary and didn't give in. Things were getting more and more dysfunctional for both of you.

I hope you can take some comfort in that, though I know nothing can take that sharp dagger of loss your heart is contracting around right now. But time will work its slow magic, and like your beautiful avatar, you have deep roots and are reaching for the sky while the stars smile down unflinchingly on all our human joys and sorrows. You can always count on them.

Go outside tonight and visit the stars. Tell them your troubles. I do that all the time.
Old 08-29-2019, 06:19 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
DC, of course this hurts. But look at what you wrote above--he did some really dangerous and unpredictable things in this last binge. Alcoholism is progressive.

You had to protect yourself, and you stood to lose a whole lot if he hit someone drunk, set your house on fire, got out of control and did something beyond verbal abuse to you. It happens, even when people "would never do that".

Keeping yourself safe is not being mean to someone else. Not keeping yourself safe is a great unkindness to you and your soul.

He had many chances to get sober with you and didn't take them seriously enough to follow through.

Now, by no longer being his unconditional safety net, you have given him the opportunity to get serious about recovery and stand on his own two feet and become the man he is capable of being.

I think you did the right thing for both of you.
He may finally really get it. And maybe down the road, when he has at least a year or maybe more, you can see if there is anything left to rebuild. But not now. Now you have to heal yourself, and he has to make the choice to pick up the recovery tools he's being offered, and to use them. Or not.

He is far more than his addiction, just as I am, or my mother was. But we have to do the work to get off the substances, quit using / hurting our loved ones, and step up to become our best selves.

I guess what I'm saying is you have acted with honor and respect. You treated him more than fairly in the settlement from what you've told us, and before that he had so many chances to stop before he destroyed the trust of the relationship.

This whole thing isn't out of the blue. He's simply stunned that his tactics didn't work this time. I suspect that is why he signed and left so quietly. And in the long run, it is as good for him as for you that your held your boundary and didn't give in. Things were getting more and more dysfunctional for both of you.

I hope you can take some comfort in that, though I know nothing can take that sharp dagger of loss your heart is contracting around right now. But time will work its slow magic, and like your beautiful avatar, you have deep roots and are reaching for the sky while the stars smile down unflinchingly on all our human joys and sorrows. You can always count on them.

Go outside tonight and visit the stars. Tell them your troubles. I do that all the time.
its always you Hawkeye...thank you for not leaving me alone right now. The stars will be my friends tonite. Thank you. ❤️
Old 08-29-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well, at least that is done. You are moving forward, small steps and I'm sure it seems like years since you started all this, but it's moving along.

Shortly he will move out and that will be hurtful, prepare for it, perhaps make plans to be somewhere else. If that can't happen, then just stay in your own room for the day perhaps. Get magazines and your laptop or phone and watch movies and talk on the phone, go out for meals.

You might want to keep this in mind:

"Addiction is often said to be a disease of denial but it is also a disease of regret. When the addictive process has lasted long enough and penetrated deeply enough into the life and mind of the addict, the empty space left by the losses caused by progressive, destructive addiction is filled up with regrets, if-onlys and could-have-beens. In early addiction the addict tends to live in the future; in middle and late addiction he begins to dwell more and more in the past. And it is usually an unhappy, bitterly regretted past".

Don't let him drag you back down memory lane. He has regrets, he has anger he is dwelling on "if only" and "could have beens".

Unfortunately they are probably something like - if only she could have accepted my drinking if only she could have been nicer about it.

Never forget what you are dealing with here. Yes, a human being but one fully integrated in to addiction, not the man you once knew. You are moving forward, you don't want to be part of his "if only"?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:42 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Well, at least that is done. You are moving forward, small steps and I'm sure it seems like years since you started all this, but it's moving along.

Shortly he will move out and that will be hurtful, prepare for it, perhaps make plans to be somewhere else. If that can't happen, then just stay in your own room for the day perhaps. Get magazines and your laptop or phone and watch movies and talk on the phone, go out for meals.

You might want to keep this in mind:

"Addiction is often said to be a disease of denial but it is also a disease of regret. When the addictive process has lasted long enough and penetrated deeply enough into the life and mind of the addict, the empty space left by the losses caused by progressive, destructive addiction is filled up with regrets, if-onlys and could-have-beens. In early addiction the addict tends to live in the future; in middle and late addiction he begins to dwell more and more in the past. And it is usually an unhappy, bitterly regretted past".

Don't let him drag you back down memory lane. He has regrets, he has anger he is dwelling on "if only" and "could have beens".

Unfortunately they are probably something like - if only she could have accepted my drinking if only she could have been nicer about it.

Never forget what you are dealing with here. Yes, a human being but one fully integrated in to addiction, not the man you once knew. You are moving forward, you don't want to be part of his "if only"?
trailmix, your words ring true to me. You seem to read my mind thru this screen....I intend to be away from here as much as I can for awhile. Although numb, there’s a peace in me about this. He is still in limbo, not knowing for sure if his job wants him back....he may be going 1500 miles away or across town. But either way, being in a relationship with an addict is really being alone anyway isn’t it? My immortal the song says: “even tho you’re still here, I’ve been alone all along...”. Thank you so much.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Honor the space between no longer and not yet. ❤️
Old 08-30-2019, 06:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

His go to just yesterday or the day before was to threaten to drink again. I cannot imagin a worse threat after all you have been through. It seem he is having a very hard time understanding all his actions have put you through. I had a hard time with this with my XAH. He would not remember things the next day, so it's like he expected me not to remember or react either. It's insane.

Time to get him out of the house and focus on YOU. You will grieve your marriage, but you will come out the other side a stronger person focus on taking good care of yourself.

Big hugs.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:32 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
His go to just yesterday or the day before was to threaten to drink again. I cannot imagin a worse threat after all you have been through. It seem he is having a very hard time understanding all his actions have put you through. I had a hard time with this with my XAH. He would not remember things the next day, so it's like he expected me not to remember or react either. It's insane.

Time to get him out of the house and focus on YOU. You will grieve your marriage, but you will come out the other side a stronger person focus on taking good care of yourself.

Big hugs.
you’re so sweet to respond! Yes. Starting today I am going to begin the process of paperwork for my visa! I’m also gonna start checking out meet ups and the local community center for art and exercise sessions. I don’t feel depressed. I don’t even feel mad anymore. He said this morning he was gonna finish one project to thank me for my kindness. But you’re right. I don’t think he or they fully understand the extent of trauma their alcoholism has on others. Thank you again. Hugs back!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:45 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Good for you! Sounds like you have good stuff coming up!! Onward and upward friend!
Old 08-30-2019, 06:50 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Good for you! Sounds like you have good stuff coming up!! Onward and upward friend!
virtual friends are the best! 👯*♀️👭👩*❤️*👩
Old 08-30-2019, 08:18 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Signing those papers seems so huge. I wish there was a correct thing to say something between condolences and congratulations. Even "sorry for you loss" seems to apply . . . .sort of.

Embrace the grieving as best you can. Not fun. Whatever you feel is exactly what you should be feeling.

Big hug to you Dazed.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Signing those papers seems so huge. I wish there was a correct thing to say something between condolences and congratulations. Even "sorry for you loss" seems to apply . . . .sort of.

Embrace the grieving as best you can. Not fun. Whatever you feel is exactly what you should be feeling.

Big hug to you Dazed.
it does doesn’t it? I’m kinda numb. But it is what it is. Big hugs back. I’m so grateful for your kindness. ❤️
Old 08-30-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hi DC

Just checking in. I drove down to lake lake house today and have been offline.

Hope things are peaceful.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:24 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Hi DC

Just checking in. I drove down to lake lake house today and have been offline.

Hope things are peaceful.
oh! Sounds lovely! How fortunate you are. Im winding down. Peaceful. AH has been accepting and kind. I’m thinking I’m going to go coastal for awhile, offline, away. Just me, my canvas, and the sea. Maybe a few weeks. I need to be away from everything actually. I can never express my gratitude to you enough. you are truly an amazing person to know. I admire you, your experience, strength, and hope.
Old 08-30-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Ditto DC

Here if you need us. . .enjoy the coast and making.