OT: pup

Old 08-26-2019, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

OT: pup

Pup was fine just a bit ago. Now she's cocking her right ear and shaking her head. I'm concerned and wondering if there's anything I can do. From a quick look at info regarding this, it seems not uncommon.

She's laying quietly, then every few minutes shakes her head again.

First, it’s important to understand why dogs shake their heads. Head shaking is a brilliant way for dogs to get something out of their ears that shouldn’t be there. The forces generated by a vigorous shake are impressive, as anyone who has been whacked by a dog’s flailing ear can tell you. When dogs feel itchiness or irritation in their ears, they instinctively shake their heads. While this can solve the problem if the dog has some water, a piece of grass, or an insect in his ear, continued head shaking indicates that the irritation is ongoing and needs to be addressed.

If your dog is shaking his head repeatedly and the behavior does not stop over the course of a day or so, it’s time to make an appointment with your veterinarian.
Logic says it's okay to get sleep and trust she'll be okay. I would really appreciate some input if anyone has some!!

(Border collie, almost 2 yr. old. Very healthy, active and hasn't been into anything this evening.)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is she scratching at it with hind paw? Pawing at it with front paw?

Is she on flea preventative?

Does the ear look different than the other? Any visible redness or swelling?

Does it smell and/or have dark waxy goo inside?

Any sneezing? (sorry for edits keep thinkingof new questions!)
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

Not pawing at it. Accepted having me feel her ear. No to all the rest of these great questions. Thank you! This is helpful.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mango.....whenever my animals....both dogs and cats have done that...they have had ear mites.....and, it has always seemed to happen in the hot summertime....
I have just treated one cat, this past week...and, she has quit shaking her head and twitching her ears......
Old 08-26-2019, 09:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Could just be a bug bite in the ear...how are the mosquitoes where you are?

(My own BC mix chases and bites at wasps, with predictable results. This is a dog I like to think is smart.)

I wouldn’t worry about it unless it persists. Since she doesn’t have floppy ears you probably aren’t looking at a yeast or bacterial infection. Fleas are a possibility but she would be scratching and chewing at herself as well. Could be a tick...or mites, like Dandy points out. We don’t get those here, so I forget about those.

If she’s still at it in the morning call the vet, yes?

(Dog owner for thirty years and former vet tech here. )
Old 08-26-2019, 10:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thank you, Aries & dandy!

I took her outside, stood barefoot on cool, soft grass and enjoyed the stars while she ran. She's still shaking her head occasionally, and I'm giving her encouragement now that I'm not as worried about this. Her ears are now both in a normal position.

Now she's resting. Perhaps we'll both sleep well.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ear mites....look in the pup's ears and see if there is what looks like black dirt and if the pink lining looks red and irritated. It's a simple treatment of ear drops if that is the cause
Old 08-29-2019, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In the category of 'no good deed goes unpunished' I took care of someone else's cats while she moved. After she picked them up (three weeks after the agreed date) all three of my [indoor only] cats had to be treated for ear mites. It's really simple.For only one pet, probably not that expensive.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Thank you, everyone.

No signs of ear mites.

Yesterday she shook her head a few times, with less force.

Today she's not shaking her head at all. I'm guessing it was a bug bite that's healed now.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Glad things are looking better Mango!