Worried about my friend

Old 08-26-2019, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Worried about my friend

A good friend and coworker who had been sober for a very long time, years, just started drinking again about a month ago. She’s in crisis right now, going through a separation and working a high pressure job. I have been texting with her and talking and checking in almost every day. Yesterday I became the most worried about her because her energy was so dark and she has told me she doesn’t know what to do about her drinking right now. I woke up this morning and told her I’m worried. I told her I’m concerned that some of the friends she’s spending time with are toxic people I’ve had some bad experiences with. I know she is vulnerable right now and I don’t like to see their apathy about her drinking and that they have so much of her trust right now. I also told her I know it’s not my right to tell her who to get positive feedback from right now because I know she really needs people. But that I’m worried nonetheless.
she told me I scared her and that she was on her way to work. She is trying so hard right now to just keep it together. I’m so worried I might have triggered her badly today before work and that she will feel like I am judging her.
I have referred her to this site and to meetings, because I KNOW I’m not qualified to truly help. But watching someone just hand her a drink last night really upset me. And I’m not the kind of friend who just backs away instead of saying something. These people have been the source of so much toxicity for me and many others that I know and I hate watching her go into the fold. I know her choices are hers and not mine or theirs. I feel like I’ve done something horribly wrong.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I should have just come here first before I said anything to her. I should have gone to AlAnon. I should have more education on how to talk to someone in this place. I have been in this exact same situation in the past and am so grateful to those who were real with me. I know she might not want me around for a while after this. I do not want my selfishness in loving my friend to stop me from being real with her. I hope I didn’t do further damage.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Plenny...you have done nothing wrong.
Tell her to go see a doctor...as she may need some detox...and, the doctor can advise her and help her through that. And, tell her to get her behind to an AA meeting...…
don't worry that you might look like you are judging....your friends' welfare is more important than whether you are liked" or not....
She might thank you, later...but, if not...you still did the right thing....and, yu will be able to sleep at night...
Old 08-26-2019, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you dandylion. I certainly care about her more than looking like a jerk. I feel like she is spiraling and not listening to advice. But still feels she needs help. I guess I literally did all I could do in just telling her. :/
Old 08-26-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Plenny…..I don't see anything wrong with volunteering to go with her to visit a private doctor.....I don't see that as enabling. She might need you for initial "courage"...….
She may be afraid of the pinful withdrawl symptoms....the doctor can give her some medication, if he/shesees fit....which will make her more comfortable...wile she gets herself to AA meetings.....
No one can fault for leading a horse to water...and, even putting salt into their oats.....
Old 08-26-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is good

Perhaps substitute "could" for should.

You are a caring friend in a difficult situation.
Old 08-26-2019, 01:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Mango. These are all good ideas.

i would totally go to the doctor with her. She’s lost a ton of weight and is not sleeping and is depressed. I feel like a huge rube (trying not to swear here) just watching her like this
Old 08-26-2019, 01:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

is this the same friend from 6 years ago?? and if not, do you notice a bit of a theme with your "friendships"?? because the whole scenario sounds exactly the same........

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...d-go-down.html (Watching a good friend go down...)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Anvil wow thanks for showing me that post.... it reminds me that I wasn’t crazy in ending that friendship years ago.

no it isn’t the same friend. It’s a very different situation. This friend has relapsed after about a decade of sobriety. I had never seen this side of her before. She’s a wonderful person and a really good friend. In no way does she spit venom or remain in denial to that extent. I think it’s easy to see patterns when there are just a couple similar sounding examples. Thank you for your heads up though

For the purposes of this situation I think it’s important to realize there’s a crisis and an actual cry for help.

She’s just texted me that her wife is staying somewhere else and she’s afraid to be alone. And I have to work all night. I wish there was another trusted friend who would be there and not just hand her martinis. I feel like it’s really important that she just get through the night though and she might have to call one of those toxic people

Old 08-26-2019, 01:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Unfortunately I’ve had a lot of close relationships with people in crisis. I don’t know anyone who hasn’t. We are often alone in this world (no family, past addictions, lots of trauma). We need a community that understands and can support
Old 08-26-2019, 02:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is good

AA can be that community for her, and Al-Anon for us. If she's willing to get help, AA contacts can be more affective.

Or recovery center contacts.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

someone else's crisis is not MY emergency. constantly engaging in other people's drama can leave us spent and exhausted. also, isn't it just a wee bit egotistical to think that WE are their solution? that OUR help is exactly what THEY need?

you went over to the other side with the friend from six years ago.
how'd that turn out? now someone you know has relapsed and you are calling and texting every day and wishing you or someone could be there to hold her hand tonite. if she is at that much risk, you should be directing to her to the crisis line. YOU are not the crisis line. you could very well be making more of this than she is, and feeding into her drama.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, you sound like an amazing friend to have ❤❤
Old 08-27-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Anvil, I have redirected her. The ball is in her court. It’s upsetting nonetheless, as she is spiraling and also ping-ponging between needing people and “doing this herself.”

Frankly, I really appreciate your input. I’m grateful for your references. You don’t know me but if you did, rest assured you’d know that I am a sincere person. In the same breath of sincerity, I don’t need any more of your input. Take care.

Y’all. I got an update from my friend. I wish the feeling of relief was less complicated. My biggest fear was that she’d be alone tonight. While I am not a big supporter of her marriage, her wife did decide to stay tonight. It seems serendipitous. Only because I truly felt her life was at stake tonight. It was down to the point that if anyone at all was there, it would keep her alive. She will be leaving permanently in two weeks. I know my friend is looking forward to that time. But tonight was a matter of depression. I’m thankful she had a presence and a witness there tonight. Even if she wasn’t being comforted.

All I needed today was a place to vent my concerns for another person. I won’t get entwined in a discussion about whether I should care about other people this much or not. Because I do and that is not a choice. Thank you for reading me and understanding.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you, Mango. I reiterated that I thought she should find a meeting tonight right after work. I told her that no one can tell her to God, no one can make her have a sponsor, but if she can get that 1 hour of empathy and even just one phone number....

Because, as I told my SO this afternoon, I’m not qualified and neither are any of our friends. I wish I was. But what do I do about someone who swats away every option presented to them. I’ve seen too many people die.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Plenny,

What dandylion said, it's never wrong to express concern and encourage a good friend to get help. She's gotten sober before, she can do it again. I hope that she can find her way.

The sad truth that we live with "on this side" is that no amount of pleading, begging, arguments, or threats will get someone who is active in their addiction to change their behavior--as you know, they have to decide it's something they want for themselves. And yes, we've all seen too many good people die
Old 08-27-2019, 07:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Offer to drive her to an AA meeting. Other than that, there's nothing you can do or say that will keep her from drinking. What I've learned in 27 years of sobriety is I can only help the person who has a strong desire to stop drinking. It doesn't work if the active alcoholic is ambivalent or really doesn't want to stop.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

But what do I do about someone who swats away every option presented to them.
My mom is getting incredibly old, and balance is definitely an issue. I got into an argument with my parents about installing a stair lift in their home. They have the cash, and I warned my dad that if my mom breaks her hip, there's a very good chance she'll go.

However, at the end of the day, it's their house. It's my mom's life. And if she doesn't want a stair lift, well, she doesn't want a stair lift. For those with aging parents, it's the classic conflict between independence vs safety. I dread the very real prospect that she is going to fall going down those stairs, but as for now, I just have to accept my own anxiety and concern, and remind her that a stair lift IS an option.

In the end, your friend still has agency and the power to make choices. They are not your choices to make.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Jeez guys, of course Plenny cant make her choices etc. but this is not a co-dep situation from what I see, which your reactions would imply. It sounds to me like she has a dear friend who is in incredible pain, and sadly has decided to go back to her safe place of drinking which has made it worse. No surprises there. But if Plenny is the only friend who is not enabling her, and her friend is still willing to listen, then she is very lucky indeed to have Plenny.

This woman was sober for a decade and has only been drinking again for a short period of time for goodness sake.

If it were me, I would be there for her. Indeed, my moral compass would not allow me to do anything else.

Just my perspective.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
Jeez guys, of course Plenny cant make her choices etc. but this is not a co-dep situation from what I see, which your reactions would imply. It sounds to me like she has a dear friend who is in incredible pain, and sadly has decided to go back to her safe place of drinking which has made it worse. No surprises there. But if Plenny is the only friend who is not enabling her, and her friend is still willing to listen, then she is very lucky indeed to have Plenny.

This woman was sober for a decade and has only been drinking again for a short period of time for goodness sake.

If it were me, I would be there for her. Indeed, my moral compass would not allow me to do anything else.

Just my perspective.
I agree with you. Some posters here seem to apply the 'codey' matrix on every single life situation.