AXBF & Cirrhosis

Old 08-25-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AXBF & Cirrhosis

AXBF tried to quit drinking cold turkey, and for the second time in two years, ended up hospitalized as a result. This time, however, the doctors told him he has cirrhosis affecting over 50% of his liver. He is only 36 years old.

He says he wants to go to rehab. He's never said that before--but I'm not optimistic. I don't really think or feel anything, in fact. He's not my problem anymore. I'm raising our daughter miles and miles away, protected from his disease by a five-year restraining order. The only thing I feel is gratitude for not having to deal with this news in a direct way.

It's strange that progress, at least for me, seems to manifest in the absence of feeling things.

Thank you for listening.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I’m glad you were wise and strong enough to remove your daughter and yourself from the chaos. At this stage it only gets worse....and worse.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As good as it sounds that he wants to go to rehab, it is certainly no ones business but his own.

I found geographic distance so so helped with detachment. I hope you can keep doing what you are doing as it seems to be working!
Old 08-26-2019, 02:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow.. That's so young. But at least you don't have front row seats anymore. I'm preparing myself for news like this. My uncle died at this age of the same thing and I don't even remember him being that big a drinker.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm sorry to hear this news about your Ex. It would be wonderful if he finally chose to get all the help he needs and be a true parent to your daughter, but you are raising her away from the drama....brava!!

Take good care of yourself and your beautiful girl