Needing advise and support

Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think this is good to keep in mind when interacting with anyone (because really, who likes to be on the receiving end of any of this), but there are also the “4 Ms” of dealing with someone with addictions, and those are:

Don’t 1) Mother 2) Martyr 3) Manage or 4 Manipulate

Good to step back sometimes and examine if any of that is going on..
Old 08-25-2019, 01:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
if i decided today to train for a marathon race, there is not a lot that my partner can DO for me. nor would i expect a lot. i'm the one that would have to lace up the shoes and go hit the pavement. i'm the one that would likely have to clean up my diet, develop a workout routine, follow a schedule of distances to run, timing, and whatever else is involved. i would not expect my partner to get up with me, run with me, any of that. it would be nice if they didn't INTERFERE.
This applies to just about everything in our lives.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

He broke up and blocked you....that is his truth. It is like when I tell people no is no, respect it.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

and what exactly do you know about the recovery process?
i think you said once that he claimed to have five YEARS?
i think we often confuse "support" for "wanting to be more important to them" and have more of their time and attention, become their counselors and advisors.
they don't NEED us for their ongoing recovery. that is what support groups, therapists and counselors are for.

if i decided today to train for a marathon race, there is not a lot that my partner can DO for me. nor would i expect a lot. i'm the one that would have to lace up the shoes and go hit the pavement. i'm the one that would likely have to clean up my diet, develop a workout routine, follow a schedule of distances to run, timing, and whatever else is involved. i would not expect my partner to get up with me, run with me, any of that. it would be nice if they didn't INTERFERE.
Hi, I know some about the recovery process. I do understand how I can support him. I guess it would be mostly to be there with understanding. Not supporting him would me being there drinking in front of him. I know that he has to be the one to work the program I can’t do it for him. How else could I support him?

Yes, 2010 he went into recovery and stopped drinking.
I didn’t meet him until 2017. He admitted when we met he stopped using prescription medication. His past relationship before me if 5 years, I found out he was using pills. So April 2017 he told me he stopped. So over the two years I can assume from his behaviors that he might have relapsed back to pills.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pdm22 View Post
I think this is good to keep in mind when interacting with anyone (because really, who likes to be on the receiving end of any of this), but there are also the “4 Ms” of dealing with someone with addictions, and those are:

Don’t 1) Mother 2) Martyr 3) Manage or 4 Manipulate

Good to step back sometimes and examine if any of that is going on..
I have not heard of those 4 M’s before. Thank you for sharing those with me.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Anvil makes a really great point.

Her partner might help her carry her marathon items bag back from the car.

ALL of the other things she is accomplishing in the example above take:

Self Discipline
Hard Work
Commitment
Willingness
Determination
Time
Willingness to ask for and accept help from others with experience and training

etc etc etc

Recovery is no different, it's HARD. That is why there are professionals. You can listen to him all day long, but until he does the hard work, nothing changes.

This isn't the type of thing a partner can really help with. This isn't a problem at work where you might have been in the same situation and have suggestions that he might take on board. This is a mental challenge and unless you are a psychiatrist or a trained mental health professional or at the very least an addict in successful recovery - your help is surface at best.

Please understand I say this kindly. It's just the reality of it that is harsh because it is harsh. No two ways about it.
I do understand that he has to do all the work, no matter how hard it is. I do believe he has not put in all the work as hard as it is. I do know that he has to want to do it and only he can change things. I certainly don’t want to be his therapist. I know that I just have to step back and see if he is willing to really put in the work.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AIMH View Post

I do understand that he has to do all the work, no matter how hard it is. I do believe he has not put in all the work as hard as it is. I do know that he has to want to do it and only he can change things. I certainly don’t want to be his therapist. I know that I just have to step back and see if he is willing to really put in the work.
I do really appreciate all the help and support that is discussed here on this site.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:49 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

He broke up and blocked you....that is his truth. It is like when I tell people no is no, respect it.
I know that I just have to step back and see if he is willing to really put in the work.
I ask this question gently, why do you have to _see_ if he's willing to put in the work? Especially when he no longer wants you to look at him?

If you want him to truly reflect on why he's so committed to a life of addiction, you got to stop looking in the mirror for him and get out of the way.

I'm sure you've told him a thousand times over what a wonderful man he is, how great he could be if only he could kick the alcoholism to the curb. I could tell you a thousand times over that you are a good person and that you deserve better. People already HAVE told you that you are a person of value- not only on this thread, but on your previous one almost two years ago. However, that hasn't stopped you from wanting to stay attached to your boyfriend. You're just as addicted to him as he is to the alcohol. Just what do you think a letter will achieve? I just fear that it will serve nothing more than a distraction and an ego kibble for him.

I also know you want to show your gratitude towards the posters of this site, but you're spending so much time thanking people I can't help but think it's a deflection of some sort. I ask you this, what are you going to do to help yourself heal and commit to a life of respecting and loving yourself?
Old 08-25-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Puzzled, “ego kibble” made my day! New favorite phrase...
Old 08-25-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Puzzled, “ego kibble” made my day! New favorite phrase...
Shucks, thanks, but can't take credit for that one. I've heard it before and appropriated it for my own use.

Last edited by PuzzledHeart; 08-25-2019 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-25-2019, 04:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michsm View Post
He than unblocked me!!
Old 08-25-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

and who cares? i'm sorry, when it's down to who unfriended whom or who blocked whom, it's disintegrated to high school antics.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:30 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PuzzledHeart View Post
I ask this question gently, why do you have to _see_ if he's willing to put in the work? Especially when he no longer wants you to look at him?

If you want him to truly reflect on why he's so committed to a life of addiction, you got to stop looking in the mirror for him and get out of the way.

I'm sure you've told him a thousand times over what a wonderful man he is, how great he could be if only he could kick the alcoholism to the curb. I could tell you a thousand times over that you are a good person and that you deserve better. People already HAVE told you that you are a person of value- not only on this thread, but on your previous one almost two years ago. However, that hasn't stopped you from wanting to stay attached to your boyfriend. You're just as addicted to him as he is to the alcohol. Just what do you think a letter will achieve? I just fear that it will serve nothing more than a distraction and an ego kibble for him.

I also know you want to show your gratitude towards the posters of this site, but you're spending so much time thanking people I can't help but think it's a deflection of some sort. I ask you this, what are you going to do to help yourself heal and commit to a life of respecting and loving yourself?
I am not sure if you have read that there is no longer a letter being sent. It was a thought.
Thanking people for their advise, not sure how that is a deflection? But okay, I wonder how your name PuzzledHeart came about? Maybe you can understand how my heart feels, maybe not. I am working on me and was just looking for support which is what I thought this site was for. So in regards to thanking people for their comments I don’t feel it is a deflection. Yes, maybe I am addicted to a man I fell in love with, don’t see a fault in that. I am not the type of person to give up on someone. Yes, backing away so that he can see himself in the mirror is a great idea.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:31 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

and who cares? i'm sorry, when it's down to who unfriended whom or who blocked whom, it's disintegrated to high school antics.
Yes, it is.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:51 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Ok so maybe we are on the wrong track here.

What exactly do you want support for/with?

In case that sounds snarky in print, it's not intended that way at all.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Ok so maybe we are on the wrong track here.

What exactly do you want support for/with?

In case that sounds snarky in print, it's not intended that way at all.
It’s okay, I was just getting frustrated and didn’t mean to read what was posted in the wrong way. I was just looking for support in others who might have had a similar situation.

I guess I was looking for answers to questions that might never be answered.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:38 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Maybe not but what are those questions, can you give an example?
Old 08-25-2019, 09:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AIMH View Post

He than unblocked me!!
What was your first reaction? Was it dread? Or were you thrilled?
And how did you know that he had unblocked you? Were you trying to reach out to him?

But okay, I wonder how your name PuzzledHeart came about?
I'm here on this site for many reasons. My sister is my qualifier, and we spent most of our childhoods being physically abused. She's turned to drugs/alcohol/denial to get through life. I also participated in relationships that weren't very healthy for me. I also come from a family where boundaries are a foreign language, and wishes can be expressed in an extremely passive-aggressive manner. It's good to come here and be reminded that what I want isn't unrealistic at all.

Maybe you can understand how my heart feels, maybe not.
When my ex-fiance left me (before the days of social media, thank God!), I would have wanted nothing more than to have him call me. I would have been ecstatic if he contacted me. I gave up after two weeks. A month later, I took off for Europe and travelled for a couple weeks, so even if he did call me, it would have been fruitless. It took me a year and change to get over the heartbreak. The best thing he ever did was not contact me for two years, because I then had a chance to remember what my life could be without him.

My friends and family cried when he broke up with me; they were so relieved that I wasn't going to marry him. I really deluded myself into thinking that the future we were going to have was actually going to be happy. Now I kick myself for not acknowledging the truth that was right in front of my face. I shudder to think what my life could have been like if he and I had continued on our miserable course. All the love from my now husband and son wouldn't have existed at all. The friendships that blossomed after my ex left me would have just withered and died.

You have no idea of the happiness you could have if you just let go of the misery you think is sustaining you.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:34 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Joining the sentiment, I say run free and stay away from him as anything other than at best a casual friend. You do not want to end up married to an alcoholic; as many on this site can attest to. Unless he takes the steps to change nothing will change and you will spend your marital life alone. His addiction doesn’t make him a bad person but that doesn’t mean just because you dated for two years you have to stay and put up with it for the rest of your life.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:27 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

hey AIMH, I hope you will come back and post some more.

We are here to support you and help you figure this out.

I am just confused as I wonder if you want help with helping him and that's not really possible. He needs professional help, if he wants it and that has to come from him. He needs to make a decision.

Meantime, I can see you being hurt by him over and over. I'm really sorry to see that.

That's where the concern comes from.