This is weird

Old 08-23-2019, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This is weird

when AH cam home from treatment he hugged me and said he was going to miss me. I didn’t hug him back. He asked if I was afraid of my feelings. I said I was. He then left without another word and hasn’t returned. It’s been 5 hours. I hope to god he’s not somewhere drinking himself to death. All his stuff is still here and his phone is off. Ugh.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He did this the other day didn't he, said something then just left.

I remember you hoping he wasn't on his way out to drink?
Old 08-23-2019, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
He did this the other day didn't he, said something then just left.

I remember you hoping he wasn't on his way out to drink?
he’s back. Was at doctors. Liver tests. I’m so mad at myself for being so affected by this fiasco that every time he’s gone my mind goes to drinking. I gotta go to another Alanon mtg tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, you are still sitting in that front seat in the roller coaster,
sometimes. At least now you can see it and get busy distracting
yourself, reading literature, going to meetings (yes!) talking to
sponsor. It's like our default mode and we have to stay aware
and take care
Old 08-24-2019, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yep. Every time X gets ****** (usually aided by some kind of drug), I wind up getting wound up. I hope that I’m giving him a game face, and I wind up texting my support system wildly while they talk me down. It sucks the amount of energy I’m pouring into the futility. I know detaching is a skill that gets better with practice.
So, thanks for all the opportunities to strengthen my core, Qualifier!
Old 08-24-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dazed, I would not express any vunerabilities to him - like when
he asked if you were afraid of your feelings. It is not helpful to
you to share any of your weaknesses while you are going through
this- not with him- none!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Im doing just that. He just said I have no choice but to leave. Cant get an apt if I dont have a job. He thought I would back down, but I just said, I understand, this disease is the worse. Silence on his end...
Old 08-24-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I remember being invested in everything that my stepson did. Every day I was affected by what he said, what he did, wondering what he meant or what he was thinking. It had me on pins and needles all the time.

Frankly, none of it was any of my business. My stepsons recovery or lack thereof was all on him. All of my anxious hovering and wondering did me absolutely no good, and it certainly didn't make any difference in what *he* was doing.

My late husband and I finally gave up that front-row, hovering seat, and our lives became much better for it!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
I remember being invested in everything that my stepson did. Every day I was affected by what he said, what he did, wondering what he meant or what he was thinking. It had me on pins and needles all the time.

Frankly, none of it was any of my business. My stepsons recovery or lack thereof was all on him. All of my anxious hovering and wondering did me absolutely no good, and it certainly didn't make any difference in what *he* was doing.

My late husband and I finally gave up that front-row, hovering seat, and our lives became much better for it!
Thank you. Im working on it. I need this space and my recovery for myself!
Old 08-24-2019, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Are you hoping he'll recover and be the husband and man you thought you had married? I ask this because his constant questions may be because you are unconsciously sending him mixed signals about your future together.

In other words, if he did everything right from this moment on--went to meetings, saw a counselor, worked hard, contributed to the household, was open, honest, and humble about his recovery--would you trust him enough to stay married to him? Or, has all trust been broken at this point?

These are questions I had to answer for myself when my ex-husband cheated on me. It was important that I absolutely knew my own mind--which was a painful journey but well worth it in the end.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
Are you hoping he'll recover and be the husband and man you thought you had married? I ask this because his constant questions may be because you are unconsciously sending him mixed signals about your future together.

In other words, if he did everything right from this moment on--went to meetings, saw a counselor, worked hard, contributed to the household, was open, honest, and humble about his recovery--would you trust him enough to stay married to him? Or, has all trust been broken at this point?

These are questions I had to answer for myself when my ex-husband cheated on me. It was important that I absolutely knew my own mind--which was a painful journey but well worth it in the end.
What I have told him is that if we have marriage problems that they can be worked on only after recovery...for both of us. I told him I need this divorce to protect assets, not because I dont love him. I told him in my world I see him working his program, me working my program, and then working together on the marriage. But apart. I cannot have him in close vicinity and recover. I am that addicted to him. So to get an apt and do that would be what I ultimately wanted. So he is using the 1200 mile away thing to let me know, what I want will not be possible....unless he can stay here. To me, that is an absolute no go.