Divorce is Final

Old 08-21-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Divorce is Final

Yesterday we were granted our divorce. XAH is working out of town and so messages him last week asking if he was going to make the court hearing. No he said and said he contacted MY attorney for them to please find out if he can attend via conference call. Court granted that and when the judge called him he got his voicemail! Doesn’t even have the wherewithal to show up for his own divorce hearing! Then called me 15 times (while the proceedings were going on). What the he11 was he calling ME for? I have no idea!
But judge proceeded to without him.
XAH changed his FB status within 5 minutes of the court proceedings!
Well his actions just drove home the final straw for me in that I know I did the right thing.
I am still a bit numb I think and I don’t really feel sad. I may have felt different if he would’ve been there????
Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe it was easier that he wasn’t...I went to court alone. XAH then called me that afternoon at work and said, “I was hoping you’d be too upset to be at work.” Note he was calling me...from work. Such a gem, that guy.

Sending you a hug. Even when it’s right it’s still not easy.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

airesagain and sacrytime…..yep....whenever people get divorced, there is usually a really good reason!
Old 08-21-2019, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have often said that divorce should be the same as marriage (legal process).

You should be able to go to the courthouse/registy etc, sign an uncontested divorce contract and that's that.

Why jurisdictions need to make it difficult I have never understood. Is this some throw back thinking that "morally" we need to be held accountable by institutions? It's really ridiculous if you think about it.

Custody, separation of assets should be a different matter altogether and should be handled separately in my opinion. First the divorce is done (by signing a paper), then the rest should be taken care of.

ok - end rant.

ScaryTime, maybe if he had been there you would have felt differently, hard to say or maybe you would have just felt numb. It's an emotional defense and it is handy!

I'm glad that part is over for you anyway.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats don't seem appropriate, but I'm glad that things are finalized for you ScaryTime. The closure helps. You will probably cycle through several emotions when the "numbness" wears off. That's normal.

I knew divorcing my AXH was the right thing to do. That really didn't make it any easier. Picking up the divorce certificate from the court house was a gutting experience for me.

I've known people who've thrown divorce parties. (My AXH probably did) I've always thought that was in poor taste. While I understand being grateful something so difficult is done and over with, I don't feel celebrating the painful death of a relationship seems appropriate either. But I guess that could just be me.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

smallbut mghty…..I have always though that divorce parties were a gruesome idea, also......
Old 08-21-2019, 01:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, it does sound like you did the right thing! I, too, am glad that part is over for you. Onward and upward!
Old 08-21-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

People divorce for a reason. I agree, you can only go up from here!

big hugs!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Court granted that and when the judge called him he got his voicemail!

what a champ! i think that just sort of sums it all up.

there is something a bit anti-climatic about the divorce finale. i never had to go TO court, so i just got the papers. and it was like.....huh....so that's it. no party, no balloons, no confetti, no parade.

no need to force yourself to feel anything right now. it will come. in dribs and drabs or maybe all at once while you are sitting at a red light. or maybe not. sometimes it's just an "eh" kind of thing.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know today was full of mixed feelings. I went through a divorce a few years ago from my alcoholic husband. While I had mixed feelings if I was doing the right thing, those feelings soon dissipated when peace began to dwell in my home. As you know, that's no small thing after living with an addict.
I'm new, so don't know all of your story, but I pray you find healing and peace.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Scary, you may have a delayed reaction over some time, which is very natural. Then you get over it and move on with life.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks all! It does really help seeing that I am not alone. I am doing good! Keeping busy always and taking care of my pups. ❤️