Recovery is selfish

Old 08-21-2019, 11:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
in time, you will have a chance to reflect upon the true nature of this relationship. his side and yours.

Alcoholics. I met one 20 years ago. Struggling, lost everything, bankrupt....he recovered and we made a life. He came back from bankruptcy, we built a beautiful home and life together. New cars, tryck, peace, happiness....I thought

and......

How can he just drink his life down the tubes after re-building it? All that work and effort! He’s right back to where I found him.
ugh.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

somtimes things just run their course, D&C. and it is not any ONE person's FAULT. it just is what it is. fork in the road and all that. this just happens to be a particularly rough spot.

just a funny - years ago i had a righteous little Subaru Rally Sport. It was the first year they brought over the road racing model to the US (prior to the WRX). i loved that car. well so did hank. we were up driving on super woodsy dirt logging roads with lots of chuckholes and TREES, and hank had that thing just flying.

his reasoning was - the FASTER you go, the LESS you feel the bumps! i wanted to mention something about - the harder you hit the TREE, the faster you DIE - but i was too busy holding onto the "oh jesus" handle and praying! LOL
Old 08-21-2019, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

somtimes things just run their course, D&C. and it is not any ONE person's FAULT. it just is what it is. fork in the road and all that. this just happens to be a particularly rough spot.

just a funny - years ago i had a righteous little Subaru Rally Sport. It was the first year they brought over the road racing model to the US (prior to the WRX). i loved that car. well so did hank. we were up driving on super woodsy dirt logging roads with lots of chuckholes and TREES, and hank had that thing just flying.

his reasoning was - the FASTER you go, the LESS you feel the bumps! i wanted to mention something about - the harder you hit the TREE, the faster you DIE - but i was too busy holding onto the "oh jesus" handle and praying! LOL
that sounds like quite the adventure. Thank you for the insights anvil.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Try to get some good sleep and have a peaceful day tomorrow DC.

Can you get out and do something nice on the weekend? Maybe take your little dog to the beach?
Old 08-22-2019, 03:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Try to get some good sleep and have a peaceful day tomorrow DC.

Can you get out and do something nice on the weekend? Maybe take your little dog to the beach?
got to get out somehow. Have some antique stores I enjoy browsing, take myself out to lunch and immerse in some good books and cooking some delish food. Ciao Bella! ❤️
Old 08-22-2019, 08:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

So the saga continues. This morning after his mtg, AH says “let me take you to this awesome place. (My fav). I tell him he might not feel like that after today, final papers for signature will be here. He becomes rigid, says I have tried to demonstrate to you my commitment to sobriety. I say good, I hope you do it for the rest of your life. His response was “well....”. Kinda like unsure. I say if we have marriage problems we cannot address those until we are both in serious recovery. He says he cannot live with in between. That he has a place he can go to. Short term he says he might stick around, but he has no interest in staying here in this area without me. He doesn’t see how we can work in our problems with him 1200 miles away. He asks me what I think. I try to tell him that in my world I have given my life over to god and cannot write his script for him. What I wanted is him to say, ok, I will work on this separated with a view to reconcile. But he didn’t. I ask him if he understands why I have to do this. He says yes you’re afraid of liability. And I say yes, but also emotional pain I cannot go thru that anymore. He continues to try to explain I say you don’t need to explain I understand and leave the room. He leaves for treatment and I’m numb. My AH is a good man with a terrible problem and I feel terrible about all this. And then he texts me this:

I kno your ending script includes a statement from me to the effect that I will never give up on our marriage no matter what. As much as I would love to think that way my pea brain can’t reconcile that with your position of wanting out.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
I kno your ending script includes a statement from me to the effect that I will never give up on our marriage no matter what. As much as I would love to think that way my pea brain can’t reconcile that with your position of wanting out.
To me, his 1200 mile thing sounds just like any other threat.

You may want to work on this but I will be 1200 miles away (because of you!) so how are you going to manage that.

If he truly can't see past what you are doing, well, that's his side of the street. If he can't be patient and work on things, then he can't. He is so early in "recovery" that again, he is all over the place.

One minute he wants to go to dinner and the next minute when you bring up the divorce papers (like it's a surprise) he is rambling.

I don't think that you can take anything he says at face value.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
To me, his 1200 mile thing sounds just like any other threat.

You may want to work on this but I will be 1200 miles away (because of you!) so how are you going to manage that.

If he truly can't see past what you are doing, well, that's his side of the street. If he can't be patient and work on things, then he can't. He is so early in "recovery" that again, he is all over the place.

One minute he wants to go to dinner and the next minute when you bring up the divorce papers (like it's a surprise) he is rambling.

I don't think that you can take anything he says at face value.
I wanted to hear your thoughts trail....for once I’m telling him what I need to be happy. This is his chance to demonstrate as he says that his professed love is true. My turn to be the difficult one. My turn to put emotional screws to him. That’s not my true intent, my true intent is for my recovery! This is the first step to that. How he responds, as you state, is his side. I get it.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

.for once I’m telling him what I need to be happy

did you?
I say if we have marriage problems we cannot address those until we are both in serious recovery.
I try to tell him that in my world I have given my life over to god and cannot write his script for him.

those are statements. not needs. you stated Recovery First. period.

and it does bear repeating, that you were the one to file for divorce. which is also a statement.

What I wanted is him to say, ok, I will work on this separated with a view to reconcile.

^^this is a need or a want more precisely. i sense you are still "using" this divorce as an effort to try and manipulate him into acting and behaving differently so that you two can get back together again with him all fixed.

you get upset when he talks of moving away.
you get upset when he doesn't start moving out.

perhaps it is your own message that needs some clarity?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

.for once I’m telling him what I need to be happy

did you?
I say if we have marriage problems we cannot address those until we are both in serious recovery.
I try to tell him that in my world I have given my life over to god and cannot write his script for him.

those are statements. not needs. you stated Recovery First. period.

and it does bear repeating, that you were the one to file for divorce. which is also a statement.

What I wanted is him to say, ok, I will work on this separated with a view to reconcile.
^^this is a need or a want more precisely. i sense you are still "using" this divorce as an effort to try and manipulate him into acting and behaving differently so that you two can get back together again with him all fixed.

you get upset when he talks of moving away.
you get upset when he doesn't start moving out.

perhaps it is your own message that needs some clarity?
yes recovery first for both of us. I may not be good at communicating my thoughts and feelings in the written word ( I can write other things just not my own), but I am NOT using this divorce as a manipulation. Yes I get upset when he says he’s gonna leave; he’s been pouring on the niceties and I still love this man; yes I get upset when he doesn’t leave because I see the manipulation. This is an emotional upheaval for me. NOTHING is emotionally stable for me right now, thus the need for me to be in serious recovery, That is what I told him in a separate text. I need to be in recovery. The statement I’m telling him what I need to be happy was a sentence I wrote after I texted him a response to his text about the ending script. It was a reference to a text I wrote privately to him. I’m muddling thru Anvil, and I do so appreciate the accountability and mental checks you consistently hold up for me to assess. Hugs...❤️
Old 08-22-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

In addition I just want to say that the majority of our relationship was me focused on his needs. I stated a need and what I hoped for when he asked me ( in a separate text). To my mind, my needs and wants are important too. Commitment works both ways....I get it. His love and commitment for me only works if he is comfortable. If he has to go out of his comfort zone, then he takes his toys and goes away. His choice. I get it and it hurts... His way, all the way, or nothing at all. That doesn’t work for me anymore, as I explained to him earlier that this last fiasco changed me.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:14 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
In addition I just want to say that the majority of our relationship was me focused on his needs. I stated a need and what I hoped for when he asked me ( in a separate text). To my mind, my needs and wants are important too. Commitment works both ways....I get it. His love and commitment for me only works if he is comfortable. If he has to go out of his comfort zone, then he takes his toys and goes away. His choice. I get it and it hurts... His way, all the way, or nothing at all. That doesn’t work for me anymore, as I explained to him earlier that this last fiasco changed me.
nows the time for him to have to do more than throw the word sobriety around. Anvil, you brought that to my attention when you said all they think they have to do is throw the word sobriety around and they are back in...not. This, time.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

This is what has caused me so much unhappiness. Always looking outside myself for happiness. Expecting others to met those needs and thinking I could only get them if I gave of myself to the point of breaking. I have asked for my needs to be met to someone I gave too much to. He has said no. this is the lesson that finally sunk into my thick skull. You cannot give of yourself to the point of breaking hoping others will respond in kind. Lesson learned.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This is what has caused me so much unhappiness. Always looking outside myself for happiness. Expecting others to met those needs and thinking I could only get them if I gave of myself to the point of breaking. I have asked for my needs to be met to someone I gave too much to. He has said no. this is the lesson that finally sunk into my thick skull. You cannot give of yourself to the point of breaking hoping others will respond in kind. Lesson learned.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I am just going to take a stab at a guess here.

When he actually HAS TO LEAVE he will blow his top, if not before then. I hope I am wrong. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Keep taking care of YOU friend. He is suffering his own consequences. It stinks when we do things that cause consequences, but that does not keep it from happening.

You are right, inner peace with YOURSELF is the only thing that every brings happiness.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I am just going to take a stab at a guess here.

When he actually HAS TO LEAVE he will blow his top, if not before then. I hope I am wrong. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Keep taking care of YOU friend. He is suffering his own consequences. It stinks when we do things that cause consequences, but that does not keep it from happening.

You are right, inner peace with YOURSELF is the only thing that every brings happiness.
he took some boxes in the car this morning before he left for treatment. He said he has a place to go. He might very well be moving in there now. This could be him blowing his top. Thank you for being here with me this hurts so bad.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:13 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Not sure what’s hurting about this. I’m taking care of myself first that shouldn’t hurt.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:35 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

D&C this is just so hard. That's why it hurts. But keep going, there are better things ahead. You are doing so well. X
Old 08-22-2019, 01:41 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
D&C this is just so hard. That's why it hurts. But keep going, there are better things ahead. You are doing so well. X
sometimes when you win, you lose.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

This is the text I sent him in response to his question. When he got back from treatment he’s mad. Won’t talk. Stomping around. Not answering his questions again.

This is what I need. This recovery of ourselves and our marriage is what I need. I respect and accept it if that does not align with your wants and needs.