Substance Abuse in Corporations

Old 08-19-2019, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Substance Abuse in Corporations

I work for a mega corporation. Business keeps going up. Stock prices keep going up. There is a smugness in our culture about how well we are doing things compared to the competition.

From a recovery perspective, I am starting to notice some things that could mean the demise of my company.

Every year, location managers get invited to a conference at corporate headquarters. For years, this gathering has had the reputation that it is little more than a three day drunken party. After the latest meeting a couple of weeks ago, I overheard my local manager bragging to his cronies how much he had to drink. As a matter of fact, I catch pieces of conversations by him about his drinking all year long. I have only met his wife a couple of times in three years. Both times, she seemed really pissed off.

We all read about marriages with alcoholism that managed to hang together until the day things finally went over a cliff. This can happen rather suddenly, seemingly without warning. The signs were there, we just didn't see them.

I am seeing signs all over the place at work. Funny little things that seem insignificant, A urinal is always broken in the men's room and never gets fully repaired. We are out of paper towels and soap. LITTLE things.

I just turned 60 years old, and really don't want to stay in this environment the rest of my career. The way things are going, the "environment" might suddenly go away anyhow.

Last edited by Eauchiche; 08-19-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-19-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh boy can I relate! I am management for a large corporation. When we have meetings that everyone gets together, it's something let me tell you. I try to make sure I go to what I need to and get back to my hotel early!

One one fine event, one of the guys got locked out of his room buck naked (he was running from his "friends" room back to his after a drunken tryst), and had to go down to the desk, NAKED AND DRUNK, to get them to open his room. His "friend" was so drunk she had passed out and would not open the door back up.

Luckily, the location I am in seems to function very well when not at these events. I try not to go if possible, but sometimes my attendance is required. It's quite ridiculous. I usto wonder if it was just my corporation, but there is another event I go to with many, various corporations in our field. Good grief, that is a free for all. ugh.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

As we see daily here on SR, this type of behavior is common place in society.

Corporate America is no different. Ive seen a ton of it.

Simply changing jobs you may not find the grass greener somewhere else.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

^^^^^^So True in my experience.....
Old 08-19-2019, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You are free to seek work elsewhere.

I last worked for a big company may ten years ago. The company was a slow pay / no pay for some services. Our water heater died, and it wasn't replaced for over ten days. Scuttlebutt was the plumber was owed money for his/her last visit. Lights burned out, and SOP was every 30 days, a couple of guys came in with big ladder and replaced burned out fixtures, if there were any. Service providers to our location quit because it took so long to get paid. Store management didn't take action against incompetent managers. Incompetent managers who don't follow company policy led departments that were constantly out of things they needed.

It wasn't a booze problem, so much as a 'home office has lights and hot water, who the heck cares about Location X?'

I would view what the execs do at conferences as none of my business. I know I've worked with alcoholics. Not my job to monitor their behavior. I've worked with some who covered up their drinking, too.

You DON'T hear about the people who make the obligatory appearance at the conference, and slip back to their rooms and avoid the drama. You can view everything as a problem with booze if you want. It's a free country. You're sober, drinking has caused a lot of trauma for you. "If what you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail."

I got out. I found someone who would hire a 56-year-old, but they weren't offering health insurance, pensions, or anything like that. Choose wisely.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is an unfortunately common & old story - I've encountered it a lot personally & heard stories ad nauseam over the years in different industries.

It's just as common in small business & I've left 2 jobs as a result - one for out of control alcoholism in both married partners & another for intolerable unchecked codependency in the owner. Both were tiny companies & all it would take was one small incident to close the doors & force me to scramble for employment without a larger workforce & systems in place to sustain the company.

I also found that they had a harder time understanding personal boundaries - often calling me after hours at home or on weekends & wrecking my sanity in my off-time too. One time I arrived at a conference several hours away with my boss only to realize he'd been drinking straight vodka from his water bottle the entire time he was driving us to the seminar location. He showed no signs of having been drinking at all & I realized I had a lot to learn about "functional" addiction.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's not always just a matter of hammer/nails. I work in a pretty good environment but my partner works in a a macho resource extraction-related industry where if you're a man and you don't get staggering drunk at company "fun" events at least a couple of times a year, you're a wimp and a p!ssy and people start making jokes about AA and not in a good way. My partner is senior enough that he's got nothing to prove and feels no compulsion to take part, but for junior people, the pressure to work hard/play hard can be pretty strong. (My partner has become more aware of ubiquity of drunken stupidity in the past couple of years when he's gotten to be buddies with a couple of Muslim guys who don't drink for religious reasons, and who are therefore never going to be "part of the team").
Old 08-19-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As always, I am indebted to you folks for the experience, strength and hope you bring.
Thanks for helping me get some perspective on this!!!
Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've worked all over the world and I know it's everywhere. Not just alcohol but also drugs. Media and advertising is a shocker. A drink was spiked on me at my office at a corporate event. Thankfully a non drinking friend got me home.. That was a near miss. Ive always been a lightweight at drinking and just looked the part, nursing a beer for hours.

I used to feel like Cinderella at any corporate events as I'd always vanish halfway through a party.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was once a vice president in a billion dollar company. There was actually very little drinking or drug use at the top levels because it was such a vicious snakepit that no one risked letting their guard down.*

But there were plenty of people who went bonkers on their expense accounts when they were traveling. One guy tried to expense a hooker as a “massage therapist.”

Symptoms of a dying company that I remember...

1) Arrogance. Are they screwing customers and/or long-term employees just because they can?

2) Purges. Are yesterday’s favorites being marched out the door by Security on a moment’s notice?

3) Layoffs that make very little difference financially but help maintain a climate of fear.

4) Departures of the best and previously most loyal employees.

5) Posturing about what a great place it was to work while cutting benefits because they can.

6) Being slow to pay vendors and independent contractors.

7) As you noted...deteriorating physical spaces that aren’t seen by the public.

I got out because I couldn’t stomach it anymore and because when I challenged any of these practices I was told I wasn’t a team player. Three years later the stock was worthless and the company was sold for parts.

Trust your instincts and save everything you can. Those rich guys at the top do not give a rat’s behind about anybody but themselves.

* At one point the CEO held mandatory guided meditation classes in the boardroom for the executives. They failed because the poor teacher couldn’t get everyone to close their eyes at the same time!
Old 08-19-2019, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I was once a vice president in a billion dollar company. There was actually very little drinking or drug use at the top levels because it was such a vicious snakepit that no one risked letting their guard down.*

But there were plenty of people who went bonkers on their expense accounts when they were traveling. One guy tried to expense a hooker as a “massage therapist.”

Symptoms of a dying company that I remember...

1) Arrogance. Are they screwing customers and/or long-term employees just because they can?

2) Purges. Are yesterday’s favorites being marched out the door by Security on a moment’s notice?

3) Layoffs that make very little difference financially but help maintain a climate of fear.

4) Departures of the best and previously most loyal employees.

5) Posturing about what a great place it was to work while cutting benefits because they can.

6) Being slow to pay vendors and independent contractors.

7) As you noted...deteriorating physical spaces that aren’t seen by the public.

I got out because I couldn’t stomach it anymore and because when I challenged any of these practices I was told I wasn’t a team player. Three years later the stock was worthless and the company was sold for parts.

Trust your instincts and save everything you can. Those rich guys at the top do not give a rat’s behind about anybody but themselves.

* At one point the CEO held mandatory guided meditation classes in the boardroom for the executives. They failed because the poor teacher couldn’t get everyone to close their eyes at the same time!
Dear Aries
I salute you. In essence, you valued your humanity more than status and other perks that company gave you.
Thanks for the advice to save all I can. I'm doing just that, socking away 24% in my 401K.
My game plan is to retire in 7 years. I also try to think "outside the box." Judge Judy is one of my heroes. She left a secure position at a family court in Manhattan, and now makes multiplied millions of $ per year.
Thanks again to everyone else who posted.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I feel sorry for the therapist/coach!! On a side note, I just found out my soon to be ex boss (EXAHB) has been seen knocking back mouthwash. My former colleague wanted to know
who does that?
​​​​​​... Eh, an alcoholic. Explains so much. Shame, genuinely liked the guy.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

It's funny how corporate culture varies from company to company. I've worked in a testosterone soaked environment where the in group were the ones who went out and smoked with the boss. After I left I believe that group was broken up and the culture became more normal.
The resources company I work for now has made a huge effort around inclusiveness, and a big proportion of upper management is women, including the Chairman. Some of the behaviour I've heard described in this thread would result in dismissal.
I also worked in the late 70s where overt sexual harassment was common. It would not be tolerated these days.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
From a recovery perspective, I am starting to notice some things that could mean the demise of my company.
I am seeing signs all over the place at work. Funny little things that seem insignificant, A urinal is always broken in the men's room and never gets fully repaired. We are out of paper towels and soap. LITTLE things.
I saw little things in my workplace too. Should have paid more attention. I don't know why I didn't. Hindsight is just terrific isn't it?

If things don't feel right, then they don't feel right. It doesn't matter what the cause of the "little things" is. What matters is that you protect yourself. The "little things" in my workplace resulted in me getting TOTALLY done over. I stupidly placed faith in a couple of handshake deals with the CEO and Co. and got done.

I just turned 60 years old, and really don't want to stay in this environment the rest of my career. The way things are going, the "environment" might suddenly go away anyhow.
I've just left my workplace. Got a transfer out of there. Hoping never to return. I decided to believe what I saw rather than what they told me or the fake corporate BS they spew. I feel a lot safer now.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All the best to you and this new chapter in your life, Lisa!!!
Old 08-20-2019, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LLLisa View Post
I saw little things in my workplace too. Should have paid more attention. I don't know why I didn't. Hindsight is just terrific isn't it?

If things don't feel right, then they don't feel right. It doesn't matter what the cause of the "little things" is. What matters is that you protect yourself. The "little things" in my workplace resulted in me getting TOTALLY done over. I stupidly placed faith in a couple of handshake deals with the CEO and Co. and got done.

I've just left my workplace. Got a transfer out of there. Hoping never to return. I decided to believe what I saw rather than what they told me or the fake corporate BS they spew. I feel a lot safer now.

I compare all this to being on a jetliner that is in trouble. The Captain periodically broadcasts platitudes over the PA system. It is hard to tell that the plane is losing altitude until you start seeing the treetops speeding by just before you crash.
Hopefully being aware and open to change is half the battle!!!!
Old 08-22-2019, 07:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I work in a female dominated profession (Human Services/ Social Work), and these things go on there too. A weirdly enmeshed “party crowd” at one point (including dropping acid- and these were women in their 30s and 40s), sexual harassment of some of the male staff who were subordinates (and a few cases where there was sexual involvement with clients). Scary that they had influence and say over clients who struggled with substance abuse too. Some agencies are better than others, depends on who ends up in what positions and how that trickles down, but you don’t escape that kind of thing in this profession either. I think there might be some of this everywhere..
Old 08-23-2019, 04:49 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pdm22 View Post
I work in a female dominated profession (Human Services/ Social Work), and these things go on there too. A weirdly enmeshed “party crowd” at one point (including dropping acid- and these were women in their 30s and 40s), sexual harassment of some of the male staff who were subordinates (and a few cases where there was sexual involvement with clients). Scary that they had influence and say over clients who struggled with substance abuse too. Some agencies are better than others, depends on who ends up in what positions and how that trickles down, but you don’t escape that kind of thing in this profession either. I think there might be some of this everywhere..
You know those little tabloids printed in some cities, those point of view papers? I read an article in one of them, written by a former substance abuse counselor. She thought it was hysterical to meet clients in parks and under overpasses, and do drugs with them.

One place I worked (same place I noted above) the manager does a lot of drinking with the staff. I was asked to come back, and thought about it briefly, but the whole situation seemed unhealthy. At least one of the employees had lost her license to drive and mentioned on Fakebook "starting the long process of getting my license back." Huh? You lose it for five months the first time, three years for the second, plus you can't register a vehicle in your name. The manager's daughter ( a severely troubled sometime employee) lost custody of her children after one died, and yet, that culture is one the manager continues to foster. I never got involved; one Christmas party was enough for me to see I didn't belong socializing with these folks.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Not to be misogynistic at all, but I remember a time not too many years ago where women sexually abusing male subordinates was unheard of. The women were the stabilizing force in society, keeping piggish men civilized.
This and all the other things you folks have described reinforces my belief that this world is on fire.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

^ I think that kind of thing has always been around, just doesn’t get the same kind of attention as male-on-female violence or harassment (women abusing their husbands behind closed doors, goes unreported for the most part, for example).

As far as what happens when people get in power, yeah it was a huge eye opener for me too to see that the abuse of power isn’t gender specific (or specific to an ethnicity or race for that matter) it has to do with the person, and how things play out sometimes in groups. The concept of that is called “Kyriachy”, that seems to be a little closer to how things are, in my opinion.

velma929- I can relate to your stories too. Something about the profession, when you get a person interested in the field, probably because of their own “stuff”, but not self aware or in recovery for their own substance abuse or codependency / personality disorders- but they are high functioning and can follow through on school/ work, and they get into a position power over vulnerable people and *yikes*, a recipe for disaster. Not everyone is like that, but it’s common enough that it’s a “thing” :/.

(a little off topic- but I was just listening to that song I Don’t Like Monday’s by The Boomtown Rats, about Brenda Spencer, the 16 year old girl who shot all of those kids - and killed the principal and janitor- in the school in 1979- pre-Internet, but I don’t think I ever knew about her, or incidents like hers, when I was growing up..)