Hi my name is d&c and I’m a Codie

Old 08-11-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So lets see if I understand this Your AH yesterday went from being an abusive A**hat in the morning to later texting you the holy grail of recovery?

Maybe he was struck by lightning on his way to the meeting?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HardLessons View Post
So lets see if I understand this Your AH yesterday went from being an abusive A**hat in the morning to later texting you the holy grail of recovery?

Maybe he was struck by lightning on his way to the meeting?
well, as the saying goes I miss my ex, but my aim is getting better. 😉. Yes. He truly is a cat on a hot tin roof, all over the place. This...this was the craziness of the intermittent reinforcement that trauma bonded me to him. But, the good news is, I don’t have to live in fear of pathological loneliness and external comfort from him or anyone. I don’t believe his words, I hope for his sake he means them, but right now it’s a big nope from me. I hope you are doing well hard lessons and that today brings you goodness and peace.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

One thing I don’t understand about AH is his propensity to live in the past. As long as I’ve known him he consistently relives his past. He watches cartoons and shows from his past, he tells the same stories about his past over and over, he reminisces ALL the time, this morning he is taking about high school year books and wanting to replace his and see mine. I understand an occasional trip down memory lane but this is something that he does constantly. Comfort in the known?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

many people, drunks or not, like to relive their perceived "glory days". this is especially "helpful" to the ego if the present days ain't all that. also if you are living in the past, you definitely are NOT living in the present. it's a form of denial, avoidance, self soothing.
Old 08-11-2019, 07:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My mother was like that too. The good old days and all that. I have theories about why she was like this, but I stopped trying to understand her a long time ago in favor of understanding myself. How did it make me feel when she reminisced like that? Was that someone I wanted to be around?
Old 08-11-2019, 07:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It is bothersome to me at times. This was something that caused me distress. Why weren’t we talking about the future? Our future? Making plans? Setting goals? When I tried to do those things his answer was usually do we have to do that right now? It was always wait.....I don’t know what he was waiting for...
Old 08-11-2019, 07:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
many people, drunks or not, like to relive their perceived "glory days". this is especially "helpful" to the ego of the present days ain't all that. also if you are living in the past, you definitely are NOT living in the present. it's a form of denial, avoidance, self soothing.
makes complete sense.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
It is bothersome to me at times. This was something that caused me distress. Why weren’t we talking about the future? Our future? Making plans? Setting goals? When I tried to do those things his answer was usually do we have to do that right now? It was always wait.....I don’t know what he was waiting for...
This is good information for you to have about yourself. I don't know what he was waiting for either, but you know, not everyone is geared towards looking to the future and making plans. Now you know that that's something you really want in a relationship, and if someone doesn't have that, then maybe you're just incompatible. It's not a character flaw, not something you have to change about someone it's just...not what you're looking for, and you can move on. And that's okay.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:07 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
This is good information for you to have about yourself. I don't know what he was waiting for either, but you know, not everyone is geared towards looking to the future and making plans. Now you know that that's something you really want in a relationship, and if someone doesn't have that, then maybe you're just incompatible. It's not a character flaw, not something you have to change about someone it's just...not what you're looking for, and you can move on. And that's okay.
yes. It just seems a natural thing a couple would do to my mind...thank you
Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

making plans requires thought and commitment. pffft. way to wreck a good high!

it was a very strong indicator that you each had completely different viewpoints, outlooks and goals. as sparklekitty said, that is not so much a character flaw in either party as it is a sign of incompatibility. which brings you to today as your paths truly begin to diverge and go their ways.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
making plans requires thought and commitment. pffft. way to wreck a good high!

it was a very strong indicator that you each had completely different viewpoints, outlooks and goals. as sparklekitty said, that is not so much a character flaw in either party as it is a sign of incompatibility. which brings you to today as your paths truly begin to diverge and go their ways.
even when there were plans that I put tiger her, it was just easier for him to go along for the ride. And a lot of times it couldn’t happen cuz he was too drunk to go. A lot of wasted time and money all for a drink. It will always boggle my mind...
Old 08-11-2019, 09:03 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

yes. It just seems a natural thing a couple would do to my mind...thank you
I'm a fairy normal person and I'm not into that whole "making plans" thing unless it's travel or something requiring plans. Good point from SparkleKitty that if this is important quality in a person, to know about it and have a compatible partner.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FallenAngelina View Post
I'm a fairy normal person and I'm not into that whole "making plans" thing unless it's travel or something requiring plans. Good point from SparkleKitty that if this is important quality in a person, to know about it and have a compatible partner.
yes, it’s an important quality for me. Some kind of goal setting at least... working together for a goal of something ! I do like spontaneity too tho ...lol
Old 08-11-2019, 10:25 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

One of the main differences between my AXH and I was what we wanted to spend money on. It wasn't a big deal when we were starting out but it was HUGE by the time we split...

He wanted THINGS... tangible things he could hold, see, use etc.
I wanted EXPERIENCES...travel, adventure,exploration, education etc.

Neither of us was WRONG.. just fundamentally different in what kinds of things were important to each of us in this life.

It's an important thing to be aware of, I wish I had been as a younger woman. It's wisdom I have talked to my kids about as they are of an age to be partnering up. (My daughter and her BF of 3.5yrs recently split because of similar differences. At least they figured it out before marriage and kids...)

Happy to report my "new" husband and I share a healthy combination of wants, desires and compromises for life moving forward, and is a nice mix of things and experiences.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SmallButMighty View Post
One of the main differences between my AXH and I was what we wanted to spend money on. It wasn't a big deal when we were starting out but it was HUGE by the time we split...

He wanted THINGS... tangible things he could hold, see, use etc.
I wanted EXPERIENCES...travel, adventure,exploration, education etc.

Neither of us was WRONG.. just fundamentally different in what kinds of things were important to each of us in this life.

It's an important thing to be aware of, I wish I had been as a younger woman. It's wisdom I have talked to my kids about as they are of an age to be partnering up. (My daughter and her BF of 3.5yrs recently split because of similar differences. At least they figured it out before marriage and kids...)

Happy to report my "new" husband and I share a healthy combination of wants, desires and compromises for life moving forward, and is a nice mix of things and experiences.
I’m happy for you. I don’t see me partnering up again. I truly loved my AH and I just feel the time it takes to truly know someone is just to much at this point. It makes me sad, but I will fill my life with friends, my kids and the simple pleasures.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Dazed......what about "under an olive tree with a tall drink and an Italian man named Marcelo"...….?
What was that about....?
Old 08-11-2019, 11:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Yeah, what about poor Marcelo DC?

There he is, in Italy under the olive tree just waiting for you to show up and rock his world. . .

By the way, I noted you said "making small changes: to the divorce paperwork. Does this mean AH has signed or not signed? Stick to your boundary on this one.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:42 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Dazed......what about "under an olive tree with a tall drink and an Italian man named Marcelo"...….?
What was that about....?
that my dear is an interlude...not a partnering...😉
Old 08-11-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post

There he is, in Italy under the olive tree just waiting for you to show up and rock his world. . .

By the way, I noted you said "making small changes: to the divorce paperwork. Does this mean AH has signed or not signed? Stick to your boundary on this one.
god help me. I tried to discuss the final changes on the papers. AH broke windows in my house amounting to about 1k. My daughter paid to fix them. I asked if he was going to pay her back or should I put it in the papers. He got SOO mad. He said “ let’s make this clear this is your divorce, not my divorce or our divorce. I will make amends to your daughter on my terms. I don’t need to be told how to make amends. Can I just have my recovery and do it the way I see fit??? I was told to make boundaries too. Do you know how much money I spent on this house? ( forgetting that there is a buyout I’m giving him in the papers) He then stormed out to his meeting. I wasn’t trying to tell him how to make amends just trying to make sure my kid gets her money back. He has in the ast told me he was going to pay for things, split them and it never happened. He also said angrily if he can get out by sept 1 he will be gone. I asked him if he was going to pay for aug like he says, he said he will see what he can do. I’m all messed up again!!!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post

what happened to forgiveness, tolerance, blah blah blah???