Just Dodged Another Bullet

Old 08-10-2019, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Dodged Another Bullet

I think it's easier to dodge bullets in Sweetwater, Texas than it is in Afghanistan. Even so, anyone who spent time in Afghanistan would eventually get pretty good at it.

I have read that the twelve step programs have claimed that recovery is higher and relapse lower in areas that have a population with greater education. Our town is known for its high addiction rates and fewer college degrees per capita.

I have had trouble plugging into a church home here.
I keep encountering codependent firestorms I have to avoid. In my travels around town to different Catholic parishes, the latest has a Sacristan who I believe is an active alcoholic. Every time the guy talks to me, the conversation includes how much he had to drink that week. He got the bright idea that I "go out" with him, or better yet, take him on an out of town trip. Keep in mind I've only known this guy a few months. Oh, BY THE WAY, he is "afraid" to drive..... Translated into English, this means he is looking for a chauffeur so he can drink. I have successfully dodged going anywhere with this guy.

Two of our other parishes here currently have their pastors on suspension while they are being investigated for clerical sexual abuse. The larger of the two has seen attendance diminish by 30% since the pastor was put on suspension, with some of that group publicly protesting that they will boycott the Church until the pastor is re-instated.

I have resigned myself to attend mass anywhere the mood strikes me, much as a visitor would from out of town. I sit in the back and don't get involved.

My goal for this coming year, recovery wise, is to erase the "flaming codependent" sign from my forehead that seems to attract addicts.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations, Euch…..for being strong enough to resist his enticing invitations! LOL.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Old 08-10-2019, 10:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

God can hear you anywhere. Too bad about not being able to find community connections yet.

Well done dodging scaredy-cat driver. I think you are right about the real reason
Old 08-10-2019, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ok he sounds creepy lol

Good for you for sorting all that out and all the rest too.

My goal for this coming year, recovery wise, is to erase the "flaming codependent" sign from my forehead that seems to attract addicts.
I have come to the conclusion that what they see is kindness. Yes, it's up to you to protect yourself, but I hope you never erase the kindness.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you can take down that sign. The fact that you said no means you saw through his nonsense. Sounds like you said no kindly.
Good luck with finding your peeps.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks to all you folks who posted.
Meanwhile I just got home from mass at a different parish where I am unknown and there was no drama.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
I have read that the twelve step programs have claimed that recovery is higher and relapse lower in areas that have a population with greater education.
I wonder if the well-educated have better skills at concealing addiction, or their families perceive their social standing more at risk,thus are better at keeping secrets.

Every time the guy talks to me, the conversation includes how much he had to drink that week. He got the bright idea that I "go out" with him, or better yet, take him on an out of town trip. ..he is "afraid" to drive.... he is looking for a chauffeur so he can drink. I have successfully dodged going anywhere with this guy.
Good going. Last time I had a 'friend' who wanted to go out with me,I was used as a taxi service. As soon as we arrived, I was ditched for the guys at the bar. Your acquaintance may be looking to drink, and (since the request is to go out of town) to carouse, as well.

Looks as if you're well on your way.

If you meet alcoholics or other troubled folk, but your secure boundaries and shiny firm spine prevent unhealthy involvement, that's the best you can hope for.

Your seem to think that in recovery, you won't meet damaged people. I think that assumption is flawed. They're everywhere.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
I wonder if the well-educated have better skills at concealing addiction, or their families perceive their social standing more at risk
I think this is right. I am not wealthy but I live in a well educated and affluent area. I rarely see or hear anything about addiction. Until my situation blew up rather publicly (needed to activate my support network which included work). Then the stories started coming out. We all know lawyers have huge alcoholic rates but no one talks about it. I was quite surprised (before I joined this forum) when people started talking about it with me.

Also, you cant buy your way out of addiction but money helps not have to experience it publicly. We never became destitute despite the depth of the issue because we were doing well financially. And if I’d had a full time nanny I’d never have had to tell anyone when it all went to hell.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nicely dodged! I am working on erasing the same label from my forehead!!
Old 08-11-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LOL.....I have always wondered about "wine tastings"......it, maybe, it can be another way to give an aura of respectability to a bunch of wine guzzlers.....

An example might be my brother in law....he went to a wine tasting...a rather large gathering.....and, on the way out of the venue---he made a sarcastic remark to a policeman who was directing traffic....the cop had him pulled over and tested...and, my brother in law received a DUI....lol...he had gotten as drunk as a skunk at a "wine tasting"...….
Old 08-11-2019, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't know this until I saw it on Oprah, but you're not supposed to swallow the wine. You're supposed to spit it out.

Which explains why a friend of mine, a little less cultured, thought he'd invite himself to an old frat brother's wine tasting, and the old friend had to tell him that that well, the guest list was set and a wine tasting wasn't about getting drunk.

"We all know lawyers have huge alcoholic rates..." Around here, the term "ruddy-faced lawyer" covers that.

The county to the south of me has very high arrest rates for DWI, and very low conviction rates. Money can buy experts and such to explain away and plea bargain down an awful lot of things. Experience with the legal system helps. A gubernatorial candidate was pulled over for suspicion of DWI, and even pulled a "Do you know who I am?" act with the police. She simply refused the breathalyzer test. There was nothing they could do. She even had the officer prosecuted for arresting her, though he was found not guilty.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The 4 S's of wine tasting:
Sniff
Swirl
Sip
Spit

no swallow.
Old 08-11-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks to all you folks who posted.
Meanwhile I just got home from mass at a different parish where I am unknown and there was no drama.
I'm glad to hear it. I hope you find the right parish soon E.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have been thinking about you friend!

I hope you find a church home that puts you at ease. You deserve that!
Old 08-13-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know this feeling all to well! I am also Catholic and found that I could not attend mass after what I refer to as the "Final Collapse". I tried several different parishes (I live in a very big town with LOTS of options) but just could never get comfortable. I started attending a few services at non-denominational churches and that was where I realized what I was struggling with. My AH, Catholic as well, would "use" church as a sort of purge of all his wrongdoings for the week. Like it excused his behavior because he confessed and received communion. I developed a little bit of resentment towards the practices of the Church in general. That this "forgiveness" was supposed to mean that I forgave him too just because he went to church.
I do hope that you find a place to feed your spiritual needs. I know how hard that can be.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oddsunflower View Post
My AH, Catholic as well, would "use" church as a sort of purge of all his wrongdoings for the week. Like it excused his behavior because he confessed and received communion. I developed a little bit of resentment towards the practices of the Church in general. That this "forgiveness" was supposed to mean that I forgave him too just because he went to church.
Dear Sunflower
Thanks for your kind comments. Of course, your husband bought into an error. Confession means we are to avoid the near occasion of sin in the future. It isn't a pass to keep repeating them.
All the best to you and yours!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 12:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I have been thinking about you friend!

I hope you find a church home that puts you at ease. You deserve that!
Thanks so much, Hopeful.
Churches are like the rest of society, in that they are also tainted by addictive trends.
I guess we just have to "kiss a few frogs" sometimes!!!