Eerie

Old 07-30-2019, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eerie

So yesterday was AH first day in outpatient treatment. Before he left he told me how he will always love me. Then he left. Upon his return he said nothing. Disappeared upstairs for awhile. Cooked his dinner said nothing. Shed some tears, silent all night. Went to bed early. This morning same, no talking, no badgering, he is silent, eating his breakfast getting ready for his A.A. meeting....silent. I’m not knocking it, it’s just eerie. Almost like he is mad at ME for something. It’s unreal. I’m going to take the silence as a gift but wondering if anyone has insight into this kind of shut down behavior for no apparent reason?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Keep in mind, he is a heavy addict. His mind is reeling. His body wants to use and he is fighting that off. He has a lot of work in front of him, and that's a lot to absorb.

Just my two cents. I too would enjoy the peace.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe he finally understands when I told him I don’t want anything to do with alcoholism anymore. I don’t want to know about alcoholics, and police, and hospitals and the constant sorrow that drinking brings. Maybe he heard me when I said I can’t live like this anymore. Maybe he finally gets it tgat I’m really going to divorce him and he has to leave. He took his wedding ring off last night too. He had it on before he left for treatment. Maybe he came to the conclusion IM the problem in his life. He just seems mad. I don’t understand the sudden change.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Recovery is basically taking away everything you know and think you need to survive so you can replace it with something you don't have yet and just have to trust will show up when you need it. It's a very scary proposition. And it's a path that is walked alone.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Honestly, I have said this before and I will say it again. He did not choose recovery until you said divorce and he believed you. He likely is mad that he is going to all this effort and it's not manipulating you into staying the way he thought. He is mad he cannot drink. He is mad he got himself into this mess. He's an addict. His thinking is not rational.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The roller coaster. It’s been all apologies and conversation to reconcile, then one treatment session and he shut down. Eerie.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Honestly, I have said this before and I will say it again. He did not choose recovery until you said divorce and he believed you. He likely is mad that he is going to all this effort and it's not manipulating you into staying the way he thought. He is mad he cannot drink. He is mad he got himself into this mess. He's an addict. His thinking is not rational.
yes, you’re right. I’ve changed and sticking to my guns this time. It’s eerie for him I assume.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m not playing a game here; I’m not playing hard to get ; I’m serious about leaving me alone. It’s all a game to him and I changed the rules.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Honestly, Dazed, it's possible his change in attitude has nothing to do with you. He's just seen a glimpse of what could be, if he chooses to give it a go, the fight of his life. It wouldn't suprise me if that's why he's gone silent.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
The roller coaster. It’s been all apologies and conversation to reconcile, then one treatment session and he shut down. Eerie.
Time will tell. The apologizes and conversation got me hooked again. Maybe he's trying something new to get you to stop the divorce or maybe he's serious about giving up the alcohol. In the mean time, it's about your side of the street.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sazed….another poster, on here, just posted that her alcoholic had his first day, also. and came home with the same kind of reaction.....very quiet.....
Most likely....he is thinking about the material presented in the sessions and is processing this his mind....

My recommendation----give the man pleanty of space.....try to keep your mind on your own things and avoid being a helicoptering partner.....
Stay out of his head.....all that will do is keep your anxiety level up.....
Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Sazed….another poster, on here, just posted that her alcoholic had his first day, also. and came home with the same kind of reaction.....very quiet.....
Most likely....he is thinking about the material presented in the sessions and is processing this his mind....

My recommendation----give the man pleanty of space.....try to keep your mind on your own things and avoid being a helicoptering partner.....
Stay out of his head.....all that will do is keep your anxiety level up.....
dandelion you the best. Noted. Off to Alanon meeting today too.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

On my way out to my meeting he said he is depressed. He is not happy with what’s going on in his life. I closed the door gently and in my way to my meeting.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well yes. Addiction and bad choices have bad consequences. He is feeling those consequences and not liking it much.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I experienced silence, depression & miserableness on every, first days, of abstinence.
I now interpret that as simply what it is...AH wants a drink & he Carnt, not today anyway. Each one may be diff...but basically the rot is setting in for him, shall he or sharnt he...and that’s all he can think about and hes quietly annoyed he has to make that decision. Nothing else.

I made many mistakes trying to break that silence...nothing worked well.
xxxx
Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If he stays sober it's going to be a bumpy ride for a while, especially the first three months. I described being sober as similar to 24/7 PMS in a full moon. Of course he's depressed, he just lost his best friend and higher power, at least that's the way he sees it now. The thing is once an alcoholic stops drinking he/she is still an alcoholic: "if you take alcohol away from a drunken horse thief you still have a horse thief." Recovery is a lifelong process and change takes much longer than any of us think.

He may relapse -- it's common in early recovery and that doesn't mean he won't -- or will -- stop. He's till going through withdrawal, which takes months to disappear in heavy drinkers. I suggest Alanon for you to take the focus off him.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noodler View Post
I experienced silence, depression & miserableness on every, first days, of abstinence.
I now interpret that as simply what it is...AH wants a drink & he Carnt, not today anyway. Each one may be diff...but basically the rot is setting in for him, shall he or sharnt he...and that’s all he can think about and hes quietly annoyed he has to make that decision. Nothing else.

xxxx
i tend to agree. It’s all about alcohol. Hugs❤️
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
If he stays sober it's going to be a bumpy ride for a while, especially the first three months. I described being sober as similar to 24/7 PMS in a full moon. Of course he's depressed, he just lost his best friend and higher power, at least that's the way he sees it now. The thing is once an alcoholic stops drinking he/she is still an alcoholic: "if you take alcohol away from a drunken horse thief you still have a horse thief." Recovery is a lifelong process and change takes much longer than any of us think.

He may relapse -- it's common in early recovery and that doesn't mean he won't -- or will -- stop. He's till going through withdrawal, which takes months to disappear in heavy drinkers. I suggest Alanon for you to take the focus off him.
just got back. Message received : keep the focus on me. Got my hair done and a mani-pedi. Starting to feel like a woman again. Thank you ❤️
Old 07-30-2019, 11:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Well yes. Addiction and bad choices have bad consequences. He is feeling those consequences and not liking it much.
agreed.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Noodler View Post

xxxx
I will learn from you. No breaking the silence. ❤️