Difference

Old 07-29-2019, 08:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difference

Here’s the basic difference between my AH and myself. He tells me a story about a guy who lost his kids for drug dealing. He works hard to get his kids back and he does. He then goes back to drug dealing and AH tells me that the A.A. people go over to his place to clean it, check in the kids, and feed them. I say, why are they doing that? He says they are trying to help him keep his kids. I say, get the kids out of that situation and call the police. AH says no, helping him is ok. Very. Very. Different.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yup. It's ridiculous. Children are lost in a world of addicts left unprotected. It's very sad.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Yup. It's ridiculous. Children are lost in a world of addicts left unprotected. It's very sad.
so much for recovery and support for that. I have no respect for people like that...he seems to think they are great and I’m the one with the problem. Unbelievable!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes. Thinks like this make my blood boil. I am with you.

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post

so much for recovery and support for that. I have no respect for people like that...he seems to think they are great and I’m the one with the problem. Unbelievable!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sounds like a bunch of enablers.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He says he’s not gonna judge if someone thinks they are doing the right thing, I say putting the label of right on wrong does not make it right. He disagrees. It drives me crazy.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I don't buy your AH's story one bit. In fact, it reeks of BS. I think he either misunderstood what he heard, or left out some VERY pertinent information. I have a very hard time believing any AA with even half a brain would be going to bat for an active addict or alcoholic of any stripe who isn't trying to work a program. It pretty much goes against everything in the Big Book.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Who knows if that story has any truth to it? I mean, active alcoholics/addicts are not known for their sterling honesty...
Old 07-29-2019, 09:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Who knows if that story has any truth to it? I mean, active alcoholics/addicts are not known for their sterling honesty...
he is dry drunk. His anger over conversations, he’s obstinate, still arrogant. I don’t think he’s in recovery. I think he’s just not drinking. He doesn’t comprehend what I say. Everyone else is entitled to their opinions except me. I’m the one that’s wrong. Has no trouble putting a label of wrong on me now does he? I don’t think a good life is police, hospitals, immorality, drinking, lies, deception. He says everyone has problems. Yeah, they do but building a good life doesn’t include this bs ALL the time.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

He isn't fighting you, DC. He is fighting change.

If your ringside seat were empty, he would still be fighting it. You just wouldn't have to watch.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkleKitty View Post
He isn't fighting you, DC. He is fighting change.

If your ringside seat were empty, he would still be fighting it. You just wouldn't have to watch.
this is interesting. What do you mean here? I’m interested...fighting change?
Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Your husband's goal here is to maintain the status quo. He wants things to go back to the way they were.

To keep the things he is losing he would have to change. And his addiction does not want him to do that.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Your husband's goal here is to maintain the status quo. He wants things to go back to the way they were.

To keep the things he is losing he would have to change. And his addiction does not want him to do that.
makes sense.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:36 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

More importantly, as hard as it is to recognize and accept, this is a war he is fighting with his addiction, not with you. It is so easy to take the things he does personally, as if he choosing between you and drinking, but his addiction is telling him there is no choice. I hope one day he can realize that his addiction is a liar, but I can't encourage you to wait for that to happen.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Now he just says he has character defects. There is no talking to this crazy pants. Still crazy after 10 days of no drinking????
Old 07-29-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

"Not drinking" is not the same as "recovering from alcoholism."
Old 07-29-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

"Not drinking" is not the same as "recovering from alcoholism."
I guess so. My guess is the difference is time.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I say, it’s time for you BOTH to give eachother space & distance. All this is unhealthy for you... & him. At some point, no one person is more to blame. How is any conversation helpful or clear with an active alcoholic anyhow???
Old 07-29-2019, 10:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You would think.

My mother quit drinking years before she died this past January. Nothing changed for her except the absence of booze, not in all of those years. She never developed new coping mechanisms for uncomfortable feelings, she never repaired relationships damaged by her alcoholism, she never tried to make a better life for herself.

So, sure. She quit drinking. But she never recovered.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

An alcoholic who wants to drink but can't is indeed a miserable person to have to be around. That's why recovery is so important. There isn't much point to physical sobriety if the rotten behavior and attitudes continue. I second the poster who suggested some space between the two of you. You deserve a little peace and sanity. And unfortunately, most alcoholics and addicts don't change until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing. Keep doing what you're doing and take care of YOU.