Difference

Old 07-29-2019, 11:05 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BlownOne View Post
An alcoholic who wants to drink but can't is indeed a miserable person to have to be around. That's why recovery is so important. There isn't much point to physical sobriety if the rotten behavior and attitudes continue. I second the poster who suggested some space between the two of you. You deserve a little peace and sanity. And unfortunately, most alcoholics and addicts don't change until the pain of staying the same becomes greater than the pain of changing. Keep doing what you're doing and take care of YOU.
thank you for the reminder. I’m working on it. Thank you to all
Old 07-29-2019, 11:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

most real noticeable CHANGE happens well AFTER the first YEAR. more like after year two and beyond.
you seem to be still stuck on being his audience and charting every word he says as if it means something.
he's finding new words and spouting them off cuz they SOUND good. he hasn't been without alcohol long enough to see what they mean as they LIVED.
you are expecting a quick fix. you say you are leaving, but keep watching him to see if he has magically changed.........yet.

this dynamic is unhealthy for you both. nobody is getting well in this situation.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
most real noticeable CHANGE happens well AFTER the first YEAR. more like after year two and beyond.
you seem to be still stuck on being his audience and charting every word he says as if it means something.
he's finding new words and spouting them off cuz they SOUND good. he hasn't been without alcohol long enough to see what they mean as they LIVED.
you are expecting a quick fix. you say you are leaving, but keep watching him to see if he has magically changed.........yet.

this dynamic is unhealthy for you both. nobody is getting well in this situation.
I wanted your insight anvil. He has 30 days then his move out date is set. I’m trying to stay away but not doing a very good job of it. He has treatment in the afternoons so he will be leaving for those. I’m going to take all your words to heart and get out more. So glad you showed up. ❤️
Old 07-29-2019, 11:25 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In honesty this depression is keeping me stuck sometimes. It’s all I can do to make it thru the day. I’m working on it.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dazedandconfus View Post
Now he just says he has character defects. There is no talking to this crazy pants. Still crazy after 10 days of no drinking????
And he is quoting "character defects" from the Big Book of AA.

"Step 6: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character".

10 days is a drop in the bucket of recovery. He has not recovered physically or mentally. To expect any change at all at this point is completely unrealistic.

Here is a thread you might find interesting:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...in-damage.html (Continuing brain damage)
Old 07-29-2019, 01:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
And he is quoting "character defects" from the Big Book of AA.

"Step 6: Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character".

10 days is a drop in the bucket of recovery. He has not recovered physically or mentally. To expect any change at all at this point is completely unrealistic.

Here is a thread you might find interesting:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...in-damage.html (Continuing brain damage)
thank you trailmix. I read them and got me some education. I had no idea..
Old 07-31-2019, 10:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's ONLY been 10 days.....he's just beginning. Hopefully, he will get better, but he might not. It's up to HIM now.
Hang in there.