Hi new here

Old 07-29-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi new here

Hello, I’m new here and I’ll guess need to vent. Little background, I’ve been married for over 10 years and always knew my husband was a heavy drinker, I’m sure you all have similar stories, can’t keep alcohol in the house, even when you think you’re hiding it, you go pull the bottle out months later to make yourself a rare drink, and it’s empty or filled with water. His mother passed away about 6 years ago (he was never able to cope with it) and lost his job almost 4 years ago (the reason for his termination may have been a lie since he had been a functioning alcoholic up until that point). Now he spends his days drinking vodka. I’m sure most of you have similar stores as well, finding random bottles, getting slurred speech, falling down and that horrible smell of sweat and vodka when you get too close (oh but vodka doesn’t smell &#128580 or the smell of vodka when you walk into a room, waking up in the morning to find a burner still on the stove, oven on or the backdoor unlocked. End of last year some friends were finally able to get him to the hospital to detox, his liver enzymes were off the chart, he was diagnosed with fatty liver and hepatitis. He stayed sober for two months, refused any additional treatment, but stayed sober, I felt like my husband was finally starting to come back. Well I had to go out of town for work for a week, and halfway through my trip I could tell over the phone he had been drinking. He was supposed to pick me up at the airport but I couldn’t get ahold of him prior to my flight leaving, when I landed, I had texts and voicemails from him very confused and didn’t know when I was coming back (I had printed out my itinerary and had it on the fridge). We have two dogs and somehow they got out of the backyard and he was looking for them but couldn’t manage to tell me what happened. I ended up taking an Uber home, he still swore he wasn’t drinking but a bottle of vodka was sitting on the counter. We had a long fight he cried, said he stays sober for me and since I was out of town, he couldn’t deal. Since then, it’s been the battle again, he detoxes when I catch him (I know totally unsafe to do by yourself) then the cycle begins again. Up until yesterday, I had no solid proof he was drinking (besides the horrible smell of BO and vodka and finding the black liquor store bags hidden in the pantry floor behind grocery store bags). I had lost a sock while doing my laundry and was looking for it, walked in the laundry room and he was in the corner, said he fell (did not hear anything that sounded like a fall and smelled the disgusting smell of vodka) well I thought maybe I had thrown out the sock, didn’t find a sock but found the bottle of vodka behind the washer that he had quickly hidden when he heard me coming. This morning, I went to grab something in another room and noticed a bag that I had on top a tote was moved, opened the tote and found a handle of vodka. I’m not sure I am going to bother to confront him, it all ends the same, him crying then trying to detox, saying he doesn’t need help etc.

So now I start out my workweek angry, angry at him and angry at myself. I can’t kick him out because it’s technically his house (inheritance and that’s not community property in my state) I of course pay all the bills for it so if I did leave, he would be sitting in the dark with his vodka and regardless of what he says (he always said he would get to keep one of our dogs) I would take them both (renting with dogs, especially larger sized dogs is always difficult) so it will take time for me to get everything lined up to leave, then I would have the guilt of what if he drinks himself to death? Which he’s probably on the road to again, he’s getting jaundice again, his ankle is swollen and he has red like bumps all down his legs. Part of me wishes it would hurry up and be over (and I feel horrible for even thinking that) but I don’t know how much more I can take. I’m in my late 30s, we have no children but I want some, just never been able to bring myself to have them with him and bring a child into the world with an alcoholic parent. I just needed someplace to vent and I’ve been to a few Al Anon meetings but nothing on a regular basis but I do think I’m co-dependent. If anyone is still reading after that long story I thank you.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us HNJ. Sorry you had reason to. We all need to vent sometimes. Especially when we live with active alcoholism in our lives. This is a great place to do that. We get it!

You are right, we all have versions of the same story to one degree or another. My AXH was(is) a vodka drinker to. It seems to be a common poison amongst the alcoholics. That whole you can't smell vodka thing is a laugh and a half though isn't it?!... Ya OK buddy, you keep thinking that... right along with the lies we're supposed to believe... infuriating stuff.

It sounds like you have put some thought into leaving. It's always good to have a plan B. I agree that if you did chose to go, protecting both dogs from the chaos would be in their best interest. You already know he is drinking himself to death with you there. You don't have to stay and have a front row seat to that show. Your leaving wouldn't be the cause of him drinking himself to death, him bending his elbow it what's going to be the cause of that. Try not to burden yourself with guilt that isn't even yours to bear. I know this is hard. I've been there. I had kids with my qualifier... I know all about guilt. Guilt for staying, guilt for leaving...uggggg... it's such a destructive, corrosive emotion. Self care shouldn't ever be something we feel guilty about. I know that's easier said than done when you are living with active addiction in the home.

There is a great book called "Codependent No More" by Melody Beattie. We suggest it to people all the time. I cried my way through the whole thing the first time I read it. I almost didn't read it... the first part of the first chapter pi$$ed me off!!!... but I kept reading.. and my life changed. I am a better person because I read that book. A better parent, a better spouse ( re-married to a nonalcoholic now) a better daughter, a better friend, just an all around healthier human being because I applied what I learned in that book to my life. If you haven't read it, I hope you give it a try.

I also hope we keep seeing you around here. It's a good place to hang out with people who understand what you are going through. SRF&F coupled with "Codependent No More" are the two things that really turned my life around when his alcohol addiction and my codependence were taking me down.

*hug*
Old 07-29-2019, 07:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, HNJ. There is a ton of wisdom, experience and hope here; I think you'll find some help.

As a fellow dog lover, I just want to encourage you to look out for your dogs, as you mentioned you'd do. Several years ago, another member here split w/her AH, but he kept the one of their dogs that had been "his" dog. The dog was older, and the A simply didn't take very good care of him, so the poor creature ended his days in some degree of neglect and discomfort, rather than in an attentive, loving home. I applaud you in your efforts to find a rental that will take larger dogs. If I could, I'd tell you to bring them to my house till you got things straightened out!

Onward. You can make it. Oh, did I say Alanon? If not, will say it now--Alanon. The combo of Alanon for f2f contact and SR for a depth and breadth of experience was a powerful one for me, for sure.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome. You are right, tons of similar stories, but also tons of support to be found here! Read, read, and read some more. Get yourself familiar with the stickies at the top of the forums.

I am sorry you are going through this, but you dont' have to do it alone!
Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi hopless and welcome. Well from your post it sounds like you are ready to move on?

The guilt, as you said, he is drinking anyway and is on a downward spiral, yet you are right there. Right there probably making dinner, talking to him, making suggestions on help he could get? None of that is working, as you probably already know, that's because it is his choice.

You didn't Cause it, can't Control it, can't Cure it (the 3 c's).

His drinking or not does not revolve around you. He might like you to think that, heck maybe he even believes that when you go out of town for a few days it's an invitation to drink - that doesn't mean it's true.

As Hopeful mentioned, there are some great stickies at the top of the forum that you might find helpful too - this is a great place to start:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...c-reading.html (Classic Reading)

keep posting!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Although my exit from being an active alcoholic was very terrible and for a time took my life, II was that alcoholic with the commonalities seen in chronic alcoholics, in the destruction paid to all around me- especially my wife (now ex)and my 2 sons, now adults who watched my soul die a little more every day over the years. . I leave them be out of respect. Perhaps I have a little credibility being sober 3.5y. Al-anon is good for support, as is SR.

My prayers for you and your family.