I gave up and split up with alcoholic girlfriend

Old 07-14-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I gave up and split up with alcoholic girlfriend

Just want to share my story.

I had been with her for nearly six years. We bought a house together and luckily we are covered by a watertight agreement to aggregate assets so no issues there.

We met in our late 20s and although I would not have said she is an alcoholic at that moment, I would in hindsight. Like most our age we would go out a lot, get drunk but she would go the extra step and seem to not last whilst being almost unconscious.

I later found out via her friends and family that she had the issue since 15. They had tried everything and could not managed to solve it.

i tried all I could to help from seeing people to trying different approaches. The best I got was 4 weeks sober and then relapse. It felt like every low just got worse and worse over time. The last year was just horrific and sad to watch. She had reached what I saw as the worst it could. She was a functional alcoholic. She would drive drunk to work and back, she would have days she was drunk twice and worst of all she lied about it and tried to cover it up. I managed to narrow down her drinking to either in the car parked or in her office (the manager had similar issues so I guessed they fed off each other). Other issues included memory loss, easy bruising, compulsive lying generally and the manifestation of a bi polar personality. She’s had police called and all sorts.

i made the decision a few weeks ago and went ahead this week. I feel sad but not because we broke up but because she’s just continuing this spiralling into a hell. Right now I count she’s been drunk at least 12 days in a row and this includes mornings, afternoons and evenings, sometimes multiple times a day.

for years I was convinced it was all my fault (as she was blaming me for it) but the revelation from her family and friends made me feel better.

since breaking up I am gaining my confidence back and anxiety she created (I couldn’t take her to any social event she would make an absolute fool of herself). She still can’t admit her problem.

i am sure there are success stories but if there is anyone out there that like me tries for years don’t be afraid to accept that leaving is the best decision.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, londoncalling.
Welcome.
Very sorry for your situation but glad you found us.
The decision to leave is never an easy one.
Better to leave, though, than to watch someone self destruct.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cant say you didnt try. Pray for her. That's all you can do.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Hi, londoncalling.
Welcome.
Very sorry for your situation but glad you found us.
The decision to leave is never an easy one.
Better to leave, though, than to watch someone self destruct.
It is refreshing to find places like this. After I went through it, I spoke to someone at work who I did not realise all this time she had a relative who had married one and then separated. All the behaviours were a mirror image.

Originally Posted by SoberRican View Post
Cant say you didnt try. Pray for her. That's all you can do.
Exactly. I don't hate or detest her. I feel so sad for her and sad that she is continuing to drink. As I type it seems she is again extremely drunk.

Honestly, before I was with her, I did not really know anyone who has had / has an abuse of a substance. Now I have seen it, it is a really sad disease and I feel sorry for all with it.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Let me tell you this disease aint nothing nice. But she has to want it brother real talk. You cant do it.......prayers your way
Old 07-14-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR London and so very sorry that you are hear.

Being in a relationship with an addict is tough to understand unless you experience it. Leaving is often the only and very best thing you can do. It is heartbreaking to watch these beautiful people self destruct.

Please take good care of yourself; these coming weeks and months may be very difficult.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Addiction is such a sad and destructive disease. To all concerned. The person addicted and all those around them.

You did the right thing.

Glad you posted your story, sorry you have been through this.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for your kind messages.

Yesterday had a chat with her which started off cordial however she was drunk (albeit not her usual comatose state).

she then evolved into the usual that it’s my fault she is like this etc and conceited what I would say is a fantasy about what’s happened. I must admit it angered me but I’m trying to keep civil!

Honestly in the last 30 days she must have been drunk for at least 27 of them
Old 07-15-2019, 08:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by londoncalling View Post
Thank you for your kind messages.

Yesterday had a chat with her which started off cordial however she was drunk (albeit not her usual comatose state).

she then evolved into the usual that it’s my fault she is like this etc and conceited what I would say is a fantasy about what’s happened. I must admit it angered me but I’m trying to keep civil!

Honestly in the last 30 days she must have been drunk for at least 27 of them
The blame is pretty typical for an alcoholic. Some of us actually WANT to think it is our fault as then we can fix the situation. However you didn't "cause it; you can't control it nor can you cure it". These are the three Cs of alanon.

If at all possible, go no-contact with her. When I did this with my qualifier, I counted days of no-contact with the understanding that time would eventually heal me. Alcoholics similarly count days since their last drink. It took way way longer than I wanted but it did eventually stop hurting.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
The blame is pretty typical for an alcoholic. Some of us actually WANT to think it is our fault as then we can fix the situation. However you didn't "cause it; you can't control it nor can you cure it". These are the three Cs of alanon.

If at all possible, go no-contact with her. When I did this with my qualifier, I counted days of no-contact with the understanding that time would eventually heal me. Alcoholics similarly count days since their last drink. It took way way longer than I wanted but it did eventually stop hurting.
thats the plan but have to live together for few weeks until she finds a place and she accepts my offer to buy her out (both are in progress).

when she comes back drunk she always tries to talk to me
Old 07-15-2019, 08:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by londoncalling View Post

thats the plan but have to live together for few weeks until she finds a place and she accepts my offer to buy her out (both are in progress).

when she comes back drunk she always tries to talk to me
Ugh, that is tough. You might look into the "Grey Rock technique". It can be helpful when physically removing yourself is not a possibility.

Congrats on NOT having kids with this woman!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Ugh, that is tough. You might look into the "Grey Rock technique". It can be helpful when physically removing yourself is not a possibility.

Congrats on NOT having kids with this woman!

absolutely, she wanted to get married too but I knew those were both not a starter