Ways to deal with difficult situations

Old 07-05-2019, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

It's July. One foot in front of the other. I'm doing focus wheels today, acknowledging what's outside my control and letting go, letting God/Great Spirit/Universe.

-------------------

Difficult people defy logic. Some are blissfully unaware of the negative impact that they have on those around them, and others seem to derive satisfaction from creating chaos and pushing other people’s buttons. Either way, they create unnecessary complexity, strife and worst of all stress.

"When you’re able to navigate difficult situations, not only do you experience internal growth, you also learn to value happiness through a new perspective, which will help you gain strength and wisdom."

Change is inevitable and we can make a choice to embrace change. The potential for transformation is present in every change life throws our way, whether or not we choose to embrace it.

1. Master your emotional intelligence.

Knowing how to manage your own emotions gives you leverage.

Be curious.

Be non-confrontational.

It’s not personal even if it feels like it is in the moment.

Emotional intelligence is generally said to include three skills: emotional awareness; the ability to harness emotions and apply them to tasks; and the ability to manage your own emotions.

2. Make use of a calm, kind, confident tone of voice.

Your level of confidence can be sensed through the stability of your voice.

Remember, steadiness builds trust and de-escalates heated situations.

3. Take regular breaks to revive.

If you are faced with a difficult situation that is draining, or an exhausting environment, do your best to take regular scheduled breaks.

4. Acknowledge your strengths.

Give your confidence some nourishment. Write a long list of your healthy traits, accomplishments and skills.

5. Decide to have an abundance mindset.

Scarcity thinking keeps us feeling like we’re stuck, that we don’t have enough and, frankly, that we aren’t enough. Developing an abundance mindset can help us lead more resilient and creative lives.

6. Recognize what you can & can’t control.

When we are facing difficult or trying situations, there are typically many things we cannot control.

Look specifically for the things you can control or change in your own thoughts, actions and habits, and plan accordingly.

7. Up your commitment to self-care.

Relax. Allow space to process what you're going through and to have awareness of the good in life.

When was the last time you stopped to think “How am I doing today?” Set some time aside to just slow down, take a deep breath and be present. Spend some quality time alone with yourself, to check in and come back to reality with how you are doing in your own life.

8. Practice gratitude.

Make a concerted effort to look for all the good things in your life.

Don’t just look outward.

Take a look at yourself too. A habit of being appreciative and grateful towards yourself is a simple way to improve self-esteem and self-confidence.

Ask yourself:

What are 3 things I can be grateful for about myself?

It could be that you were a good father in a moment of crisis this week. It could be that you finally got done with that task you had been procrastinating on.

Your self-gratitude does not have to be all about achievements at work or in school for example. You can simply be grateful for your good sense of humor or that you help people out a lot by being a good listener from time to time.

9. Stay safe.

10. Step outside your comfort zone.

"All the joy and happiness you will ever want are right outside your comfort zone."

As we do this, our comfort zone naturally becomes bigger.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good stuff Mango, and what a beautiful photo. It brings calm just to look at it! Thank you for sharing friend!
Old 07-05-2019, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I needed this today. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

". Either way, they create unnecessary complexity, strife and worst of all stress."

VERY helpful post. Thanks so much!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just what I needed! ❤️
Old 07-07-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That was cool points. I dig that. Good post. Iwndwyt
Old 07-19-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

It's a good day and I appreciate becoming stronger through experiences, even as I learn to accept them, see them more clearly and change my emotional responses to them

A kind, friendly victim's advocate stepped me through a stress response today, that came up while we had a phone call. "I am having a stress response." "This is normal. Everybody has this." "This stress response is important. It's telling me something." She gave me additional words, ideas and awareness of my natural, learned control of deescalating the stress response. Very cool.

I thought I was past having these. This one was great in that it taught me a lot. I'm listening to my body in new ways and continue to gain new skills.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is so very, very helpful. Thank you!
Old 08-13-2019, 04:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is good

Recognizing emotional intelligence: being aware of stress, anxiety and low levels of tension can allow one to deal with these very human emotions in new ways.

My go-to's today:

Yoga.

Mindfulness.

Deep, rhythmic breathing.

Meditation.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

Food for thought.

"Both critical thinking and emotional intelligence are about self-regulation.

At the core of emotional intelligence is one’s ability to accurately perceive, appraise and express emotions. It is also about ability to understand emotions and knowledge that is derived from emotions."