First post, coming to grips with my life.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:54 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It’s going to infuriate them and possibly damage their relationship with him beyond repair if he will not leave the house that’s in their names.
Unfortunately, that seems to be already happening.

Believe me, I used to walk eggshells around my sister all the time (I know, WAY different from being married to a qualifier). I have to admit I got a little bit of a thrill ("Look at me - I'm shielding my sister from my parents! I'm a protector!") when I covered for her. However, it just added to the resentment bit by bit, and it just got to the point where I got sick of listening to her crap. I had to learn the hard way that shielding her from the consequences of her behavior didn't do her any favors, and it just drove her deeper into her delusion that everything was just okey-dokey A-OK. In the end, I found out that it was just better for everybody, including her children, to tick her off immediately and get it done and over with instead of stretching out the lies for weeks on end. If I stopped lying, then it put way less pressure on her own children to cover for her too.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You can always move back in after he's moved out. If safe for you, consider involving your parents in a plan to make this happen. I think it's important, unless not safe for you and your children, for your parents to know exactly what's going on and what you are trying to accomplish going forward.

Also, Alanon ASAP. I could have made my life a lot better by going a lot earlier. I was too prideful, had already decided what it was without ever having gone, and had already ruled it out because I don't believe in God. Each of those reasons was invalid. It was a huge mistake to not go sooner than I did.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think I’m working up to telling my parents, hahaha. I talked to my brother and his fiancé for about 2 1/2 hours today and told them everything. So now several of my closest family knows. And that is such an enormous weight off my shoulders. I didn’t realize how much hope I had lost and how emotionally exhausted I was until some of that weight lifted.

I looked up Al Anon meetings near me when I read your comment, Cyranoak. The closest ones to me are about 30 miles away. Once I get a little more stability with the living situation, I’m going. Now that more of my family knows, I don’t have to make up excuses to ask them to watch my son so I can go to a meeting 👍
Old 06-30-2019, 07:21 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by saudade8277 View Post
I think I’m working up to telling my parents, hahaha. I talked to my brother and his fiancé for about 2 1/2 hours today and told them everything. So now several of my closest family knows. And that is such an enormous weight off my shoulders. I didn’t realize how much hope I had lost and how emotionally exhausted I was until some of that weight lifted.
Really glad you've confided in others and aren't carrying this all by yourself. Well done.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you. It’s taken years to get to this point. I still feel the urge to pinch myself to make sure it isn’t just a nightmare, but I’m not running from it anymore.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sua - I am the alcoholic that was the primary reason my family was broken up. A very similar pattern to that you describe happening to you. I have 3 and a bit years sober and leave my family alone out of respect, so perhaps I can share with a little credibility.

Keep sharing, perhaps look at Al- anon. My prayers and support to you and your family.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Phoenix, 3+ years of sobriety is awesome! My most sincere congratulations to you, and thank you for the prayers for my family.

AH has been an alcoholic for years, but it’s like he’s just jumped headlong into it within the last couple of months. Previously we could have conversations and find some type of common ground, even if it wasn’t much. Now his logic is so warped that I can’t believe that this man is my husband. It’s like Invasion of the Body Snatchers. And honestly, I think that is making it a little bit easier for me to deal with. He has changed so drastically from who he was that he’s not even the same person.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I feel like I’m losing my way a little, and wanted to ask for outside opinions. I think I’m being gaslit but I’m questioning myself too.

AH and I are barely speaking. We have been able to keep it to polite chit chat when our son is home. When he is drinking, I’ve tried not to let him goad me into arguments, and most of the time I’ve succeeded. He will say things like, “You’re so self righteous and think you’re right about everything,” “I hope you don’t damage our son,” “You need help,” “I don’t think you ever loved me, or were ever even my friend,” “You’re crazy,” “You’re one of the cruelest people I’ve ever met,” “Do you know how hard it is to have to start my life all over, again, because you won’t support me and be there for me?”
Previously, these comments would’ve sent me off to the races, trying to defend myself and explain how his drinking is hurting us. Now I just say, “Ok”, or “I don’t know”, or something equally non-engaging. But it hurts tremendously to think that he feels like I never loved him, or that I’m abandoning him.

Guess im just needing reassurance that I’m not crazy.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

He’s just throwing out anything that floats to the top to goad you into responding or to convince himself that he’s the victim here. It has nothing to do with how he really feels...he’s past knowing the truth even about that.

It’s just yammering, no more. Your Invasion of the Body Snatchers analogy is dead on.

Sending you strength and clarity.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Try not to put any stock in his words. He feels the dynamic changing and it scares the hell out of him. He wants to maintain the status quo and you are now threatening that. He is straight up trying to manipulate your emotions. He knows the tenders spots so he is poking at them, trying to get you to engage so he can deflect blame on to you.

You are not crazy, you are doing the right thing by not engaging with his antics.

I know it still hurts to hear those things. Underneath all his chaotic blustering he knows the truth, and that pisses him off, nothing he ever says will change the actual facts. I can remember my AXH being just awful and venomous to me, but I know it wasn't really me he was angry with. It wasn't me that had caused the break in our relationship, but because I decided to change, our dynamic changed.. so in his illogical brain, that meant I was to blame. Their thinking gets awfully twisted up and blame shifting is very, very common.

Hang in there!
Old 07-03-2019, 03:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

All very garden variety alcoholic answers,,,I did that, to my shame...when my compulsion for drinking was all that mattered
Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Well, it’s been a couple of weeks now, and although I chickened out on myself a few times, I finally talked to my parents. It went so much better than I expected. My father told my husband that if he wanted help, my father would do everything he could to help him, and that he hoped AH would choose to keep his family together and give up the alcohol. He also told him that he and my mother would respect and support my decisions regarding our marriage and living arrangements, and that if I wanted AH to move out, my father would not get involved unless AH refused to move out. AH continues to maintain the stance that he isn’t doing anything wrong, and his drinking isn’t hurting anyone... that the biggest problem is that I have an aversion to alcohol and cannot control my reaction to being around it. He did agree to move out, though, and has started looking for places... so I guess that’s a plus.

He is now drinking in our neighbors’ backyard (so he technically isn’t drinking on our property, in his words), and he has even started hiding alcohol in our neighbor’s bushes. He says he wouldn’t do these things if I would just “chill out” about the fact that he drinks “a few beers” here and there, and that he can’t believe that I would abandon him like this. He keeps saying, “I don’t think I ever really knew who you are.”

I know it sounds stupid but I keep waiting for my “real” husband to come back. I keep asking him, “what has happened to you?”, and he just rolls his eyes and tells me to stop being dramatic. My heart is completely broken. And although in my heart I know this isn’t true, I am constantly second guessing myself because I really do feel like I’m going crazy.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

You’re not going crazy he is. My AH has just been in a 3 week bender of a quart of gin a day. Police, paramedics, hospitals, blackouts....these are things you don’t want your son to see. My AH was the sweetest best guy you’d ever want to meet. He turned into a monster. Now that I’ve filed and he is trying to sober up, the sweet guy is coming back. But it’s all a ruse. The nasty monster will return and I can’t do it anymore. I have been with him for 20 years, thru thick and thin, and when I filed he made it seemed like this is what he wanted. It’s a twist, manipulation and alcoholic fog. Never once have I heard I will do everything I can to commit to recovery. The best I heard was I’ll go to meetings, but that never lasts, and he drinks when he comes home from them anyway. I know how you feel. It is heartbreaking, but once we come out of our denial there really is no going back. Keep posting. The people here understand and are the best. Hugs to you. ❤️
Old 07-14-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saudade8277 View Post
I really do feel like I’m going crazy.
I know you feel that way but you should trust that you are not. There is nothing normal about this situation and that makes it doubly hard. You're not crazy but the situation is.

You don't want him to drink but he's sitting next door drinking and hiding alcohol.

The truth is he would rather drink next door than not drink and be at home. That's no reflection on you by the way, that's addiction, the drug always comes first.

You see what you see, you know what you know and the truth is, even if he was only drinking 1 beer a day (for real, not 1 and 15 hidden beers) if him using alcohol is not something you want to be around then it's just not. Period. You don't have to justify that.

Denial is a huge part of alcoholism and if he had to truly look at what he is doing, how could he live with that? So he carries on and denies it to you and to himself.

I'm really sorry it has come to this and also really glad that you did talk to your parents, you need as much support as you can get. Here, your parents, Al-Anon. It's tough. You will get through it though.