SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   The abuse finally broke me (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/439328-abuse-finally-broke-me.html)

Imaginarium 06-11-2019 08:47 PM

The abuse finally broke me

I thought I reached the end of my rope a year ago, but stupidly went back. Things of course got bad again, as I got more comfortable in him being nice and feeling like maybe we had a chance at a future.

It it amazes me that someone as smart as I am, who always was the person shaking my head saying “I don’t know why she stays with that jerk” became the girl who stayed with the jerk. All the boundaries I tried to set about not calling me names, not picking fights, meeting my needs too, and one by one I watched them fall over and over. I rode that crazy train. I justified, ignored, cried, begged. I watched this man who I used to lay in bed next to at night just marveling at how deep my love was for him become a man that I would just roll my eyes at when he called me a “b*#ch for the 3rd time that day, now because I forgot the history of Bluetooth that he told me about 3 years prior.

Since February of this year the last of my love slowly died. And finally, after we had seen each other 3 times in a month because of constant drunken fighting from him, he told me I looked fat and also I deserved to get raped in college because girls shouldn’t hang out with guys who might rape them, even if that guy was a friend for 3 years who never acted rapey. I gathered the last of my things and walked out. I didn’t cry for a week. We’ve had the dress rehearsal so many times now, the actual act seemed a lot less chaotic than I imagined. I felt a deep sense of relief in my bones as I got home at 1am that night knowing I could finally breathe.

Its been 3 weeks today. He blamed, begged, gaslighted, complained. I misunderstood him, he didn’t really say those things. He can change because he needs me. I’m (a whole bunch of words I can’t say here) because I won’t change my mind. I’m punishing him by not saying I love him because he knows I do. He just needs one more chance. Screw me he doesn’t need me. Come back, he can’t live without me. He would text me he loved me morning and night like nothing happened everyday.

Finally I stopped responding. Stopped justifying and fighting and just kept texting back “I have no desire to see you again. You need to leave me alone.” He hasn’t texted since Friday. I’m sure he’ll launch another attack if he doesn’t find a new girl soon. But I don’t miss him and I don’t feel that familiar waver in my resolve this time.

Thank you, ABF, for teaching me how to be strong. I didn’t know I was codependent until I met you. I didn’t know how to reach out for help. From AlAnon to therapy, I’ve made so many strides in being a better person. I know how to set boundaries now. I know what red flags look like and to walk away from them. I know that I can’t save people, I can’t control people, and I can’t be responsible for grown ass adults living whatever life they choose to live. I still hope to learn what love looks like without all of the chaos, but I’ll learn to live without it alone first.

This site has been invaluable to me. Thank you to all of you too.

Bekindalways 06-11-2019 08:52 PM

Welcome back Imaginarium and I'm so very sorry for the reason that brings you back. It sounds like you have been through it and then some.

You may already know this but be sure to gather around you all the support you can muster. No matter how right and good it is to leave, it can still hurt like all holy hell.

Big hug.

Mango212 06-11-2019 10:36 PM

You didn't deserve any of this. It's not your fault.

I'm glad you're here and that you're safe.

:grouphug:

amy55 06-11-2019 11:44 PM

Thank you for sharing your story with us. You are really strong, and your story is very inspirational for newcomers. I'm sorry you went through all that but you did come out stronger. You are a wonderful, beautiful person and you didn't deserve that, you deserve the best.

(((((((((hugs))))))))
amy

hopeful4 06-12-2019 07:31 AM

Please don't stop posting. We are here to support you!

I am so very proud you had the courage to see that you deserve so much more and got out. Good for you! Please stay no contact because someone like that never changes.

Sending you a big hug!

atalose 06-12-2019 07:51 AM

Congrats on being 3 weeks strong!!

Stopped justifying and fighting and just kept texting back “I have no desire to see you again. You need to leave me alone.” He hasn’t texted since Friday. I’m sure he’ll launch another attack if he doesn’t find a new girl soon.
Why would you allow him to launch another attack? What benefit are you getting out of not blocking him from doing that?

No new contact = no new hurts!!!

Imaginarium 06-12-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by atalose (Post 7204254)
Congrats on being 3 weeks strong!!

Why would you allow him to launch another attack? What benefit are you getting out of not blocking him from doing that?

No new contact = no new hurts!!!

I know it’s probably overreacting, but he’s kind of an extreme right wing gun nut. One of our constant fights. I didn’t care about him owning guns. I don’t really see the need to own more than 10 assault rifles, but again it’s his business, not mine, and we didn’t live together. However, all his gun safety went out the window when drinking and I was constantly moving loaded guns to safer locations. I’d rather know if he starts to threaten my safety so I can take appropriate action. I can’t do that if I block him. I’m lucky in the sense he knows any DV or menacing charges could take all his guns away, so it’s a line he’s never crossed but I’d feel better if I knew of any threatening talk instead of it just going to block.

Bekindalways 06-12-2019 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Imaginarium (Post 7204780)

I know it’s probably overreacting, but he’s kind of an extreme right wing gun nut. One of our constant fights. I didn’t care about him owning guns. I don’t really see the need to own more than 10 assault rifles, but again it’s his business, not mine, and we didn’t live together. However, all his gun safety went out the window when drinking and I was constantly moving loaded guns to safer locations. I’d rather know if he starts to threaten my safety so I can take appropriate action. I can’t do that if I block him. I’m lucky in the sense he knows any DV or menacing charges could take all his guns away, so it’s a line he’s never crossed but I’d feel better if I knew of any threatening talk instead of it just going to block.

This makes sense Imaginarium. I have never thought of that.

Please stay safe.