Don't set yourself on fire

Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't set yourself on fire

I took my qualifier to the ER yesterday for his recent health issues. They admitted him and are doing tests to try to find the cause of the infection in his leg. To make a long story short, after spending the night at the hospital with him, I wrestled with the idea of calling off work to stay with him. He relies on me to communicate with his docs because he does not hear very well. Then a favorite quote popped into my head : Do not set yourself on fire to keep other people warm! I came home, took a hot shower and turned off my phone and went to sleep! I am going to work my 12 hour shift tonight and let his docs and nurses care for him! He isn't very happy that I am not rushing back to see him but he will survive. Just wanted to share.
Old 06-10-2019, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Suncatcher, that saying really caught my attention the first time I heard it too--thanks for the reminder. It's ALWAYS good to remember, and so dang easy to find myself reaching for the matches w/o even thinking...!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Believe me, the hospital will find a way to communicate with the patient. You did the right thing, well done!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

He is where he needs to be and you are where you need to be. Home, resting and taking care of yourself.

That is a favorite quote of mine that matches………..

Stop setting yourself on fire for people who will just sit there and watch you burn.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Brava!