A bit off topic

Old 06-09-2019, 07:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A bit off topic

Yesterday my AH and I were running errands. He was drunk (reason I took him and didn't leave him with our sons). I was driving through this very nice, quiet neighborhood. I could hear a woman screaming... She sounded panicked. I realized it was coming from the car behind us. I was watching in the rearview mirror when all of a sudden the man in the passenger seat punched her in the face, causing her to crash into the sidewalk. I pulled over and my AH got so angry with me saying he was drunk and I should know better. I just wanted to help. I was then lectured on "dangerous" men and literally laughed out loud at him and told him I know all about them. I drove home and called in to the police department to tell them I was a witness. The crime was not reported which means that some poor woman couldn't stand up for herself either. I should have stayed. Weakness is weighing heavy on my soul tonight.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow Sami. That must have been quite a day and here you were ust trying to get errands done. Phew. Sorry you had to endure that. Trying to help the woman is very commendable. AH sounds like he just wanted to stay in his buzzed comfort zone and not deal with anyone else and turn a blind eye to the situation-so no one exposes his bs. I pray the woman gets some help. I pray we all get some strength to do the things we must do in order to live a better life. I hope you don’t feel weak. What you did was very strong.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You did help. You called the police.
Gosh what an awful incident for everyone involved. I'm sorry you had to witness that, and then get that reaction when you wanted to help. Hope you and your boys at home are doing ok.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You absolutely did the right thing by calling the police. And hopefully, the next time, she will, too. Or, another good and kind stranger to her will call. How are your June "disappear date" plans coming along?
Old 06-10-2019, 09:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Domestic violence calls are one of the most volatile and dangerous calls an officer could respond to. You wanted to stop and help but by putting yourself into a potential volatile situation is very risky and dangerous. Who’s to say that man didn’t have a gun and would turn it on you? Calling the police was the right thing to do. Drunk or not your husband was in his own way looking out for your safety.

9 out of 10 times the victim of domestic violence lashes out at those attempting to help them. It’s a fight or flight instinct and siding with the abuser is what happens most often.

You were not weak, you did the only thing you could have done, you called the police.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yesterday my AH and I were running errands. He was drunk (reason I took him and didn't leave him with our sons).

why didn't you take the kids and leave his drunk ass home??
Old 06-10-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
Yesterday my AH and I were running errands. He was drunk (reason I took him and didn't leave him with our sons).

why didn't you take the kids and leave his drunk ass home??

Lol... This is so true but they need a break from running sometimes too. They had the chance to just hang out at home in peace.

​​​​​

As for planning we have pushed off to the first week of July. Things are going well in that department. There were some issues with transferring medical care for my youngest (he uses oxygen and other medical devices). I am getting excited but nervous. AH is worse than ever so I take comfort in the countdown. I will not post here when we go. I will be reading for ESH every day though!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ok, i see - the kids are OLD enough to be left home alone. i thought you all went together to avoid him being in charge.

good idea to close down any ethernet trails as you near your D-day. sorry it had to get pushed off a bit, but hope no more delays for you all!!! be smart, stay safe!!!!