Therapy or healing methods

Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Therapy or healing methods

Hi all,

Both of my parents passed away because of their misuse of alcohol as I've posted on here before. The last few years of their lives were very difficult and they didn't die well. I am in a good place now and I've done a lot of work on myself. Having said that I'm aware of a great deal of emotional energy inside of me. When I talk about the past I can feel it welling up inside of me. I need to let it out, I need to cry but I can't find the right way to do this. Can anyone recommend a type of therapy or healing process that might be good to address this?

Thanks.

Jon ☮️
Old 05-30-2019, 05:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wish I had resources for you, Jon. But your post certainly tugged at my heart. You've been through so much & deserve a lot of support... the tears will come perhaps at the most unexpected time. I'm sure many on here will have advice/suggestions for you. Sending love & peace your way...
Old 05-30-2019, 05:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jon- Psychology Today has a comprehensive list of therapies and information on each one, maybe read through them and see which ones sound like they might interest you? Good luck, hope you find something that helps:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/types-of-therapy
Old 05-30-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't think there is a "right way" to cry--just doing it will help. Though I do think weekly therapy would be beneficial as well.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Have you thought of joining a grief group? My church has different grief groups (lost a parent, lost a child, etc). I had heard wonderful feedback from those in the groups that it has helped them immensely. And bonus, it's free.

It's completely confidential, and I know those that are in the groups have really formed bonds which has been beneficial in their healing as well.

Sending you a big hug!
Old 05-31-2019, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say that for me therapy has been a great gift for my life.

I started out doing talk therapy only, but switched to somatic based which just means that I was asked to bring my body a long for the ride. Specifically the type I did was called Hakomi, but there are many. I needed to include my body in the process.

I also did a grief group that helped.

For me regardless of the "type," of recovery I was participating in, just participating helped me find the next right way and the next right modality.

What do you have to lose but trying something as a start?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody for your replies, I really appreciate the input. The trouble with joining groups is that I'm constantly on the move traveling, I don't stay anywhere for long. I'm currently in Madrid and I'm attending Alanon here as well as looking for a therapist. If I don't find what I'm looking for here then I'll move on again.

It's great to have a resource like this which is available wherever and whenever I am.

Thanks all.

Peace
Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

JPRB-

I have not used them yet but they have a bunch of online therapy programs now that may be a better fit for you as that relationship could be continued regardless of place.

Betterhelp.com comes to mind but I am sure there are others.