I hate the Summer....

Old 06-03-2019, 08:57 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Do you see a counselor? That helped me immensely.

Big hugs!
Yes I see a counsellor once a week which helps and a good friend I can confide in. Day at a time I guess and looking for ways to manage it.
Old 06-03-2019, 09:02 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I’m another who hates summer...too bright, too hot, too noisy. I’m an introvert and an HSP (highly sensitive person), so that much stimulus is hard for me.

I’ve been dealing with a chronic pain injury for eighteen months and one of the recommendations from my awesome physical therapist was to meditate. At first I was really skeptical, but I tried a couple of things anyway because I would have tried anything at that point if they told me it might help.

I ultimately ended up with the Headspace app and it’s really good. The guy is a former Buddhist monk and very interesting to listen to, and there’s hardly any super woowoo stuff.

Maybe worth a try?
Old 06-03-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
I’m another who hates summer...too bright, too hot, too noisy. I’m an introvert and an HSP (highly sensitive person), so that much stimulus is hard for me.

I’ve been dealing with a chronic pain injury for eighteen months and one of the recommendations from my awesome physical therapist was to meditate. At first I was really skeptical, but I tried a couple of things anyway because I would have tried anything at that point if they told me it might help.

I ultimately ended up with the Headspace app and it’s really good. The guy is a former Buddhist monk and very interesting to listen to, and there’s hardly any super woowoo stuff.

Maybe worth a try?
Thanks anything is worth a try. I do some meditating but fall in and out of it. I'll try that app thanks! I too am a HSP. Way too much stimulus in the summer. Great way to describe what I'm experiencing.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:51 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I too have to agree with Ariesagain…..

"I’m another who hates summer...too bright, too hot, too noisy"

I try not to use the word hate because it's
too strong of a word to use. So i'll say I
strongly dislike or don't care for Summer
instead.

I get up at 4am each morning, and roll the carpet
up at 2pm. Close shop is what I say when it's time
to run outside and pick up the bird suet and hummingbird
feeders.

I like it when i'm inside after working in the
gardens for awhile or running for a grocery
shop. Close the blinds and leave the aggravation
and noises of the world outside for another
day.

Focusing on my recovery and helping others
helps me achieve peace and serenity inside
my heart, soul and mind while leaving the rest
outside my door step.
Old 06-03-2019, 11:20 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

For me, I had to force myself to change “associations”.... make being in sunshine a positive experience... as with everything, it’s often so hard creating change & new experiences for oneself... changing a negative into a positive. For ex: right now I’m eating a bagel outside in the sun while listening to music. Seems like such a simple act - yet they can trigger me. Listening to music is extremely difficult since breaking up with my ex. But I’m trying to attach new memories to old experiences. I’m not a huge fan of the sun so I’m purposely sitting in the sunshine & trying to associate positive thoughts. Over time, through repetition this has helped me. I try not to allow myself to be emotional about it. When I feel the anxiety, I get up & walk.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChangeNYC View Post
For me, I had to force myself to change “associations”.... make being in sunshine a positive experience... as with everything, it’s often so hard creating change & new experiences for oneself... changing a negative into a positive. For ex: right now I’m eating a bagel outside in the sun while listening to music. Seems like such a simple act - yet they can trigger me. Listening to music is extremely difficult since breaking up with my ex. But I’m trying to attach new memories to old experiences. I’m not a huge fan of the sun so I’m purposely sitting in the sunshine & trying to associate positive thoughts. Over time, through repetition this has helped me. I try not to allow myself to be emotional about it. When I feel the anxiety, I get up & walk.
I hear what you are saying. For me also where I live I have neighbours either side of my house. One couple have young kids and the good weather means they are in their garden, a lot! This, and I know I sound grumpy, is so annoying and it's making me hate the good weather. Constant screams and noises from children. On rainy days it's all quiet, so for me sitting in my garden in the sun means having to try block out noises, too stressful.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:55 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yikes. Believe me, I understand. It makes us sound like such grumps but the “happy sound of children at play” in my neighborhood is one little girl who screams at a high pitch nonstop, a toddler who throws sobbing tantrums for an hour at a time (apparently they go indoors and leave him to it) and the constant thump thump thump of a basketball plus a full-throated “BOOM!” scream every time the teen makes a basket. My parents would have read me the riot act if I had made that much racket.

I mostly wait until evening when they go inside to watch television. I’m also going to try my headphones outdoors.

You have my sympathy.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

So we all have the same neighbours!

This grumpy guy moved in next door for a year (my other neighbours are silent - I don't even really know what they look like).

Anyway, guy that was on other side for a year renovated (flipped) the house.

He was so noisy, construction for a year - plus he was miserable. But anyway. When he sold the house I thought, please don't let it be someone with 6 children and dogs.

Ok well they only have one little screamer and 2 dogs. They are hoarders, they have about 10 sq ft in their back yard that is not covered by wood and 2 lawn mowers and a pickup truck, camper, child's play area they had to fence off (I'm guessing so the big dog doesn't eat the child) and tons of assorted junk. They have like a husky and a little yapper. So now the summer is here those dogs get left out a lot and the big one hates it so he whines and whines and I tell him to shut up.

It's great.

So I totally understand that.

Did you ever go to your GP to have a chat Glenjo?
Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

LifeChange is right....one can accommodate, if necessary.
My experience....I worked in pediatrics, where I didn't hear children crying, anymore....(yet, if one made a cry that meant "emergency!"--my brain would hear that child's cry out of 15 kids that were crying, at the time.
I worked in a n emergency room, where I no longer heard the constant sound of ambulance sirens.
I lived by a large airport and didn't hear the sound of jets,anymore….

None of this happened immediately.....
Old 06-04-2019, 12:29 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
So we all have the same neighbours!

This grumpy guy moved in next door for a year (my other neighbours are silent - I don't even really know what they look like).

Anyway, guy that was on other side for a year renovated (flipped) the house.

He was so noisy, construction for a year - plus he was miserable. But anyway. When he sold the house I thought, please don't let it be someone with 6 children and dogs.

Ok well they only have one little screamer and 2 dogs. They are hoarders, they have about 10 sq ft in their back yard that is not covered by wood and 2 lawn mowers and a pickup truck, camper, child's play area they had to fence off (I'm guessing so the big dog doesn't eat the child) and tons of assorted junk. They have like a husky and a little yapper. So now the summer is here those dogs get left out a lot and the big one hates it so he whines and whines and I tell him to shut up.

It's great.

So I totally understand that.

Did you ever go to your GP to have a chat Glenjo?
So you know what I'm talking about with all that extra summer noise. As for my doctor, I'm having full blood tests done tomorrow to rule out any other possible conditions, but of course anti depressants we're mentioned and I refused, not for me, although they help some people.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Yikes. Believe me, I understand. It makes us sound like such grumps but the “happy sound of children at play” in my neighborhood is one little girl who screams at a high pitch nonstop, a toddler who throws sobbing tantrums for an hour at a time (apparently they go indoors and leave him to it) and the constant thump thump thump of a basketball plus a full-throated “BOOM!” scream every time the teen makes a basket. My parents would have read me the riot act if I had made that much racket.

I mostly wait until evening when they go inside to watch television. I’m also going to try my headphones outdoors.

You have my sympathy.

You have mine too. It's a relief to know that it's not just me, I feel like a 90 year old grumpy man at times but it's how I feel. I hear what your saying about waiting untill they go in, but the stubborn part of me feels why should I wait for them to go, I should be in my garden whenever I choose. Probably not the best approach?
Old 06-04-2019, 07:30 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Life is good

Ebb and flow.

Trust your healthy gut instincts. If that means waiting to visit your garden until the timing is a beautiful one for you, no worries, no judgements.

Waiting can be a very powerful action. To find peace within the waiting, in the moment, is also a practice and skill that develops as we allow it.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

...again, notice it’s all that we have absolutely no control over: weather, irritating neighbors, etc etc etc. I live in NYC so I have thousands of people so damn close to me, all the time. I live with 10 people in a house. Gotta breathe and constantly focus on the positive.

Not easy.
I think it’s such a powerful topic.

But I gained so much clarity after leaving my ex. That was true hell. A rollercoaster of insanity. I think most of us experienced (or still fighting to leave) true dysfunction.

Ironically things seem far more frustrating or anxiety-provoking when you’re truly frustrated or filled with anxiety!

Whether it’s screaming children or the dead of summer... I personally just need to stop putting focus on those things. Not that they aren’t irritating. But it’s all about the bigger picture. I constantly try to reflect on where I was a year ago... then try to let things go.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Codependent in recovery I'm really just left alone with me now and it sucks. Take away all the drama, all the focusing on someone else and it's back to learning to love me. That's hard and I'm struggling.

So irritated by everything and everyone. I liked before where my focus was not on my life so much, I now feel left with myself and friends again, and I realise now we're on different paths. That's such a hard realisation. I'm grateful for all I've learned about codependency and needing to love myself first but it's so hard.

Anyone else hate summer?
Hey,

I thought I was the only one who dreaded the summer season. Here in Vegas, it's Dry Heat, which I prefer...but, still I long for the rainy days of the Spring season. I grudgingly wait for wintertime as well.

I can also relate to the codependency feelings you are having. I don't know what to do if Im not expending most my energies towards my kids & BF... I still cant figure out 'why?' their problems are sooo much easier to fix than my own (procrastination or low self-esteem?..idk)...

Anyway, I've always been this way, except during this past year where I fully committed myself to active alcoholism and didn't take care of Anyone else...(..though my poisoned, alcohol-soaked brain was sure this wasn't the case; ..active denial & total negligence )

Long story short, it led me here to SR ( to Mercy of God and His children)..... I have 35 days Sober, and even though I still have mini-anxiety attacks daily, and Summertime here only manages to magnify my current insecurities; I am so grateful to wakeup to realize I'm still in my 'right' mind.....(...although what's crazy is - I still have "phantom" hangovers....i think I drank the night before and feel guilt, shame, fear & fatigue upon waking, lol )...

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how your Summer goes. Thank you for posting!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
of course anti depressants we're mentioned and I refused, not for me, although they help some people.
I do, yes.

I'm noise sensitive, I know this about myself. One other consideration is that I work from home so when that dog is barking my customers can hear it, so most of the time I have to have my windows closed and my a/c on to lessen that. But I do love my a/c, yes I actually love it lol

As for anti depressants, I know some people are absolutely adamant about not taking drugs, I get that totally and far be it for me to ever encourage or discourage a personal choice.

There is only one thing that perhaps you might want to ponder. Mental health drugs are not a magic wand and not everything works for everyone but I personally believe they do have a place.

If you are unable to drag yourself out of your depression, if that big black dog is invading more and more of what could be your happy life, then perhaps it is worth considering. Some things, sometimes, chemical imbalance in the brain for instance, cannot be stabilized by will/positive mantras/therapy alone, in my opinion.

For example, you can absolutely function with a broken arm and need never have it treated. My Father broke his arm as a child, it was never treated or never treated properly. For his entire life he was never able to extend his arm to a flat position, slightly bent was the best he could do.

He functioned quite well with this and it never held him back from anything that I am aware of, however, it doesn't mean that additional treatment would not have made it better and I'm sure the healing process was no fun either.

Sometimes, especially with brain/emotional issues, we need to take the advice of a GP or psychiatrist above whatever WE might think. Taking the advice of those that care and have training in the field while we are not at our best to perhaps judge, is the next right thing to do.

Anyway just throwing that out there.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:51 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChangeNYC View Post
...again, notice it’s all that we have absolutely no control over: weather, irritating neighbors, etc etc etc. I live in NYC so I have thousands of people so damn close to me, all the time. I live with 10 people in a house. Gotta breathe and constantly focus on the positive.

Not easy.
I think it’s such a powerful topic.

But I gained so much clarity after leaving my ex. That was true hell. A rollercoaster of insanity. I think most of us experienced (or still fighting to leave) true dysfunction.

Ironically things seem far more frustrating or anxiety-provoking when you’re truly frustrated or filled with anxiety!

Whether it’s screaming children or the dead of summer... I personally just need to stop putting focus on those things. Not that they aren’t irritating. But it’s all about the bigger picture. I constantly try to reflect on where I was a year ago... then try to let things go.
I did actually make that link with lack of control myself while thinking about it lately. It's scary the amount of things us codependents like to control. I agree things seem worse when we are filled with anxiety but it's a viscous circle. This time last year my whole focus was on going to visit my ex in another country which I did and it ended disastrously. I'm also probably being triggered by the memories, it was June 7th last year. We were planning it for months. I need to see the bigger picture but its challenging.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:52 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I do, yes.

I'm noise sensitive, I know this about myself. One other consideration is that I work from home so when that dog is barking my customers can hear it, so most of the time I have to have my windows closed and my a/c on to lessen that. But I do love my a/c, yes I actually love it lol

As for anti depressants, I know some people are absolutely adamant about not taking drugs, I get that totally and far be it for me to ever encourage or discourage a personal choice.

There is only one thing that perhaps you might want to ponder. Mental health drugs are not a magic wand and not everything works for everyone but I personally believe they do have a place.

If you are unable to drag yourself out of your depression, if that big black dog is invading more and more of what could be your happy life, then perhaps it is worth considering. Some things, sometimes, chemical imbalance in the brain for instance, cannot be stabilized by will/positive mantras/therapy alone, in my opinion.

For example, you can absolutely function with a broken arm and need never have it treated. My Father broke his arm as a child, it was never treated or never treated properly. For his entire life he was never able to extend his arm to a flat position, slightly bent was the best he could do.

He functioned quite well with this and it never held him back from anything that I am aware of, however, it doesn't mean that additional treatment would not have made it better and I'm sure the healing process was no fun either.

Sometimes, especially with brain/emotional issues, we need to take the advice of a GP or psychiatrist above whatever WE might think. Taking the advice of those that care and have training in the field while we are not at our best to perhaps judge, is the next right thing to do.

Anyway just throwing that out there.
I relate to your noise sensitivity. As for the conversation with gp I'll have a think for sure and what you've said makes sense.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:54 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KTB5000 View Post
Hey,

I thought I was the only one who dreaded the summer season. Here in Vegas, it's Dry Heat, which I prefer...but, still I long for the rainy days of the Spring season. I grudgingly wait for wintertime as well.

I can also relate to the codependency feelings you are having. I don't know what to do if Im not expending most my energies towards my kids & BF... I still cant figure out 'why?' their problems are sooo much easier to fix than my own (procrastination or low self-esteem?..idk)...

Anyway, I've always been this way, except during this past year where I fully committed myself to active alcoholism and didn't take care of Anyone else...(..though my poisoned, alcohol-soaked brain was sure this wasn't the case; ..active denial & total negligence )

Long story short, it led me here to SR ( to Mercy of God and His children)..... I have 35 days Sober, and even though I still have mini-anxiety attacks daily, and Summertime here only manages to magnify my current insecurities; I am so grateful to wakeup to realize I'm still in my 'right' mind.....(...although what's crazy is - I still have "phantom" hangovers....i think I drank the night before and feel guilt, shame, fear & fatigue upon waking, lol )...

Anyway, I look forward to hearing how your Summer goes. Thank you for posting!

Well done on your progress. I too await winter eagerly. I'll keep checking in on how I'm doing re the anxiety of summer, hope you do too.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Glenjo, have you seen this recent video from Russell B about self-confidence?

Old 06-06-2019, 03:39 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Glenjo, have you seen this recent video from Russell B about self-confidence?

Thanks makes a lot of sense.