I hate the Summer....

Old 05-24-2019, 01:53 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I have heard that same comment from people who are depressed.

I agree about the medication absolutely, it can create more problems in the long run than it is worth.

That said, I think of it as a balance. If your leg hurt every time you walked and the doctor said well, let's give you this painkiller to take every morning for 6 months. It will make it so that you can walk around pretty much pain free and allow your leg to heal.

You'd be on your way to the pharmacy?

People tend to think of a chemical imbalance or depression etc as somehow different. Like if you can just grit your teeth and bear it and think positive and sit in the sun you will miraculously be able to get it right.

The mind is a complicated and powerful thing, while I 100 percent believe in trying non-harmful alternatives to drugs, this is your well-being you are talking about.

Listen to yourself, you want to go live on a desert island, you want to build walls around your house to block out the light. Really think about that. It's time to call in the big dogs, time to ask for help.

If that's not a drug, what will you try? Hypnotherapy? Acupuncture, massage, chanting, support groups, sunshine, talking to friends, talk therapy, Al Anon, herbalists.

Make a plan, no matter how much you can't be bothered, that is key.
I've had this feeling of wanting to get away since the incident with my ex in March. I didn't address it then so perhaps it's manifesting now. A long break away is what I need, I'll look into that.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's exactly it Amy, it's a feeling of being overly exposed. Do you take medication?

No, Glenjo, I don't take medication. I have tried anti depressants, but I get all of the side effects from them. Just because it didn't work with me, that doesn't mean that it won't for you.

I had to sit down and look at all the things that happened to me, and how or why it affected me. I then had to change things about my own life. It was a long hard road, but it was well worth it.

I still to this day discover things about me, and your topic did help me with one of them. I brought some summer bulbs and plants, and I have them in containers in my sun room, but I just couldn't bring myself to go out in the yard to plant them. I couldn't understand why. I always did that, or at least I did that up till about 12 years ago. I love perennials, and love planting them. Your topic made me realize that I was afraid to go out because I didn't want anyone to see the real "me". I was so use to covering up, isolating, not letting others see "me" that I was willing to let the plants die, before exposing myself again to the outside world. That was the take that I got from your topic, and now that I know the reason why, now there is something I can do about it.

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 05-24-2019, 02:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by amy55 View Post
That's exactly it Amy, it's a feeling of being overly exposed. Do you take medication?

No, Glenjo, I don't take medication. I have tried anti depressants, but I get all of the side effects from them. Just because it didn't work with me, that doesn't mean that it won't for you.

I had to sit down and look at all the things that happened to me, and how or why it affected me. I then had to change things about my own life. It was a long hard road, but it was well worth it.

I still to this day discover things about me, and your topic did help me with one of them. I brought some summer bulbs and plants, and I have them in containers in my sun room, but I just couldn't bring myself to go out in the yard to plant them. I couldn't understand why. I always did that, or at least I did that up till about 12 years ago. I love perennials, and love planting them. Your topic made me realize that I was afraid to go out because I didn't want anyone to see the real "me". I was so use to covering up, isolating, not letting others see "me" that I was willing to let the plants die, before exposing myself again to the outside world. That was the take that I got from your topic, and now that I know the reason why, now there is something I can do about it.

((((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Great awareness. I would prefer to go the therapy route. I had been going out and letting people see me and actually quite liking myself but something has switched. Perhaps situational depression has caught up with me or reverse sad. I'll work it out.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:34 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Glenjo,

yes, talk to people. I did go through therapy and also saw a psychiatrist. Many therapists actually. I needed that for validation. Validation that I wasn't crazy, validation that I was dealing with a lot of things. It does help so much to talk about things.

I was married and in an abusive relationship for 26 years, there are still things that I am working on. Your topic today just brought up one more thing that I need to work on, now that I can put a name to the fear that I have. I'm not afraid to go outside to meet people, it was taking me a lot to get my foot out that door, but once I did, I have no problem. During my marriage my ex kept telling me how no one likes me, that was 26 years of him hammering that into me. I was so afraid that people wouldn't like me, but I found the exact opposite.
I don't know, I guess because of the 26 yr marriage, his voice still pops up in my head, but talking openly about why I feel like that, well, it just helps me a lot. I thought I covered all of my fears, guess I didn't. Now is the time to do something about it.

((((((((((hugs))))))))))
amy
Old 05-24-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I wanted to leave you with something. It's a recurring dream that I had. It was scary, but really telling in my life. You know, you don't usually remember dreams, if you are having one and you wake up, that dream just disappears, that's why I can't believe that I had this same dream about 7 - 10 times.

I woke up, and it was a dark and dreary day. There were these really gray clouds, and it looked like it would rain at any moment. I was on a cliff, standing on this ledge looking over a beach and an angry sea.

I'm afraid of heights, and the ledge that I was standing on was withdrawing into the cliff. Soon I would have no place to stand, but I was still too afraid to jump. (Fear of heights). I wanted to stay on that ledge as long as possible, I felt comfortable there, but was starting to worry because the ledge was disappearing.

I knew I had to jump, or I would be forced off that ledge. It was only about 9 inches wide at that time. I held on as long as I could.

I jumped!!!!! I thought I was going to die.

Next thing I remembered was that I was on a sandy beach with sand so soft and comfortable. The cliff wasn't there anymore, the ledge wasn't there anymore. I looked around the beach and there were so many people there. People who were there playing with their children, people who were married, or dating, and just enjoying the nice sunny day. There was not a cloud in the sky.

I don't know if you can relate to that, but it was something that helped me a lot.
I was seeing all the bad things that happened in my life, and I knew that I had to make a choice. I knew I needed to get off the cliff and start living my life.

You can do this, please post all that you want, just know that there are many of us that have felt the way you do, for one reason or the other. I can only speak of my experience, I can be totally off base with yours. Thing is, you get to chose what resonates with you. I do agree with therapy and if needed AD's.

amy
Old 05-25-2019, 08:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
Depressed people going for coffee, sounds exciting....

I think I will make an appointment with the doctor for a chat, however I still would be resistant to medication especially if it's for something short term like reverse sad.

Ideally I would like to move to a desserted island for a few months, failing that build huge walls around my home to block out the light. Wish I didn't feel this way.
Are you familiar with Craig Wagner and his Onward Mental Health website? He has some great ideas over there, everything is so well organized, with visuals, backed by studies (pros/ cons). I find myself utilizing his website quite often. Good luck, hope you find something that helps, and that you feel better soon:

https://www.onwardmentalhealth.com/infographics
Old 05-25-2019, 12:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hey Glenjo, I may not be on the same page as you. I'm definitly a chronic depressive and have been on SSRIs for decades. However I thought of you today as I'm having a crap day; depression days still happen for me inspite of developing tools and going on meds.

It is a gorgeous day outside. I took a couple of dogs I'm sitting out for a walk and talked with a few people. I'm still feeling like crap . . . ugh.

My depression will usually pass within a few days. I hope you figure out something that works. It does suck and gorgeous weather is no help.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Hey Glenjo, I may not be on the same page as you. I'm definitly a chronic depressive and have been on SSRIs for decades. However I thought of you today as I'm having a crap day; depression days still happen for me inspite of developing tools and going on meds.

It is a gorgeous day outside. I took a couple of dogs I'm sitting out for a walk and talked with a few people. I'm still feeling like crap . . . ugh.

My depression will usually pass within a few days. I hope you figure out something that works. It does suck and gorgeous weather is no help.
Just goes to show it still happens even with the tools and meds, hope yours passes soon. I'm hoping this will pass eventually, the only way out is through as they say.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pdm22 View Post
Are you familiar with Craig Wagner and his Onward Mental Health website? He has some great ideas over there, everything is so well organized, with visuals, backed by studies (pros/ cons). I find myself utilizing his website quite often. Good luck, hope you find something that helps, and that you feel better soon:

https://www.onwardmentalhealth.com/infographics
Not familiar with him at all, I will check it out thanks.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Chatted with a friend today. Conclusion was I may just have to be ok with where I'm at just now. Lot of changes happening which may be contributing to this, and im impatient. I like to have the answers and the need to fix things (fixing things? A codependent, shock horror!). I don't have the answers to this, or even a way of finding my way out which is scary, but needing to trust that it's ok to be where I am, how I'm feeling and stop apologising, minimising and underplaying it.
Old 05-26-2019, 01:48 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Maybe get some bloodwork done? Anemia, a vitamin deficiency or mild thyroid condition can cause some of your symptoms.
I hope you feel better soon!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zevin View Post
Maybe get some bloodwork done? Anemia, a vitamin deficiency or mild thyroid condition can cause some of your symptoms.
I hope you feel better soon!
Thanks I am going to do that.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

chemical imbalance is more common than people think-it's just given different labels......and different treatments-blood will show any deficiencies.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:40 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joey8262 View Post
chemical imbalance is more common than people think-it's just given different labels......and different treatments-blood will show any deficiencies.
Yes I think having blood tests done will help rule things in or out.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/body/health/a22721553/anxiety-worse-in-summer/

Not just me!!
Old 06-03-2019, 04:48 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Glenjo, personally I'm a Fall/Winter guy. I do have more anxiety in the summer. But I have worked hard to try & enjoy the sunshine a little bit more. Not easy. Ironically, sunshine in other countries don't bother me as much. For ex: I used to live/work in Africa. But while there, thankfully my focus was never on my anxiety... too many life/death issues I had to focus on.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:09 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LifeChangeNYC View Post
Glenjo, personally I'm a Fall/Winter guy. I do have more anxiety in the summer. But I have worked hard to try & enjoy the sunshine a little bit more. Not easy. Ironically, sunshine in other countries don't bother me as much. For ex: I used to live/work in Africa. But while there, thankfully my focus was never on my anxiety... too many life/death issues I had to focus on.
I can relate, I find when I'm outside of my home town I enjoy the sun more. In my home town I feel so much more overwhelmed by it. My house feels like a hot house and it's the openness of it all that triggers me. Do you have any coping tips?
Old 06-03-2019, 06:55 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I too think a word with your doctor is in order.

I have up and down feelings about summer. I love spring as winter is pretty long where I live and I hate being cold and it's dreary for a long period of time. I love seeing the colors of spring turn. I like early summer, like right now. However, within a couple of weeks time, it will be very hot and my yard while fun in the spring is a lot of work in the hot summer. I am always so glad to see fall arrive. It's my favorite time of year, I just love it.

While I don't think I have SAD, I do think I have to watch myself and force myself to do things because it would be really easy for me to do work and go home and that's it. I was just talking about this last week. Saturday I had sworn to a friend I would come over and have plans w/her and I had to force myself to do it because honestly I would rather curl up and watch Netflix or read a book on my couch with my doggies. However, I knew if I went it would be fun, and it was.

I hope you speak to your doctor and get it all figured out!
Old 06-03-2019, 07:53 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I too think a word with your doctor is in order.

I have up and down feelings about summer. I love spring as winter is pretty long where I live and I hate being cold and it's dreary for a long period of time. I love seeing the colors of spring turn. I like early summer, like right now. However, within a couple of weeks time, it will be very hot and my yard while fun in the spring is a lot of work in the hot summer. I am always so glad to see fall arrive. It's my favorite time of year, I just love it.

While I don't think I have SAD, I do think I have to watch myself and force myself to do things because it would be really easy for me to do work and go home and that's it. I was just talking about this last week. Saturday I had sworn to a friend I would come over and have plans w/her and I had to force myself to do it because honestly I would rather curl up and watch Netflix or read a book on my couch with my doggies. However, I knew if I went it would be fun, and it was.

I hope you speak to your doctor and get it all figured out!
Unfortunately I know my doctor will suggest anti depressants and I don't want to go that route. I'd prefer to try manage it a different way especially for something temporary, although at the time doesn't feel like it. A long Summer 😂
Old 06-03-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Do you see a counselor? That helped me immensely.

Big hugs!