Truth is Stranger than Fiction

Old 05-07-2019, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Truth is Stranger than Fiction

In spite of all my work on recovery and my best efforts to stay free of addicts' drama, it has reared its ugly head again.

My neighbor over the back fence and I rent from the same landlord. The landlord has been absent most of the 1-1/2 years I have lived here, including for yardwork and maintenance.

The neighbor likes addicted street women. Every few months he meets a new one and moves her in. She is never on the lease. After he gets tired of her, she moves on.

The latest one has been there for a month and is obnoxious and loud. She scaled the fence of another neighbor across the street and climbed up into his tree. She fell 16 feet and ended up with multiple fractures. Being illegal, she was granted Medi-Cal, and we taxpayers are footing the bill.

The neighbor got tired of her peeing all over his house and put her in the back yard last week, where she has been living on the other side of my fence.

Since she has been here a month and claims this place as her residence, California law protects her now as a "tenant." The current landlord will have to bring eviction proceedings to get rid of her.

The neighbor has made a deposit on this place to buy it from the landlord, and is scheduled to become my new landlord in 60 days when escrow closes.

I had planned to buy a house in about a year, but am looking NOW.
Please wish me luck!!!!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a bad situation that is going to get worse.
By all means, get away if you can afford to.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like a nightmare to me E!

Good luck on the house hunt! I hope your next set of neighbors are more considerate.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh goodness! That sounds awful!!! Sending you lots of luck, prayers, and good juju that I can friend!
Old 05-07-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wishing you all the best.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

OMG.... E, what a nightmare!!

Is there really nothing that you can do about a homeless person living in your neighbors back yard?
Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have a saying that I use quite frequently, lol. "You can't make this sh!t up!!!"

I think it applies perfectly to your situation.

The neighbor got tired of her peeing all over his house and put her in the back yard last week, where she has been living on the other side of my fence.
I had to read your post multiple times once I hit that part of it. I kept thinking "wait, what? Is this a dog? Did I miss something?" ...wow.

I can't believe you're dealing with any of this. All the best of luck with everything!
Old 05-07-2019, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katerina1072 View Post
I have a saying that I use quite frequently, lol. "You can't make this sh!t up!!!"

I think it applies perfectly to your situation.

I had to read your post multiple times once I hit that part of it. I kept thinking "wait, what? Is this a dog? Did I miss something?" ...wow.

I can't believe you're dealing with any of this. All the best of luck with everything!
Thanks Katerina!
When the neighbor is within earshot, she lies around moaning and crying. Makes me feel really sorry for her.
When he's gone and she is on her phone, she uses Spanish curse words the like I have never heard before.

I believe she is working the system, and he has probably been taken in.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a nightmare! Holy sh*t! Hope you're able to move soon...

Side note: very few people truly understand "squatters rights"... I learned the hard way as the state I'm in also gives 30 days. Once had a wife of subletter move in & she took over. He moved out & she stayed, & never paid rent. Even my alcoholic ex thought this girl was a nightmare... um, says a lot! HA! It was a nightmare. Cops came multiple times & said, nothing they could do.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'm horrified that a human being was "put outside" like an uncontrollable dog! Yeesh!

So, your local county council should have a website with the local ordinances regarding housing rights, etc. Perhaps while you are looking for a new home you can find some way to get some relief from the swirling dysfunction across the fence?
Old 05-08-2019, 05:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Seren
The whole situation is so vexing.
Unfortunately, the only thing that could happen is if she is caught breaking and entering another property, or if a domestic squabble erupts between her and my neighbor. Then, I could call the police.
He is not a batterer. If he were, she could go to a battered womens' shelter.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think you are making a very wise decision for yourself to find a new place to call home. Positive thoughts that the right peaceful place will come along for you.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nex thing is the squatter starts moving people in to live in the back yard and you have a tent city in your backyard. 🤔
Old 05-09-2019, 03:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I doubt he's been taken in. there are some types who feel virtuous about helping the downtrodden and bereft. Sadly, I suspect much of the time, the 'help' only fosters learned dependence.

Velma steps down from soapbox and goes off to mind her own business
Old 05-09-2019, 04:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

If she is 'doing her business' in that back yard, then there is very much something that can be done. Human waste is a health hazard. It can aerosolize and be breathed. You don't know what contagious health issues the woman may have. It's the reason so many people get sick after a natural disaster when plumbing and electric are knocked out.

That is certainly an approach you can take...while you look for a new home.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:42 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
I doubt he's been taken in. there are some types who feel virtuous about helping the downtrodden and bereft. Sadly, I suspect much of the time, the 'help' only fosters learned dependence.

Velma steps down from soapbox and goes off to mind her own business
^^^^This. SO TRUE!!!
My neighbor is on permanent long term disability due to PTSD and injuries sustained during one of the Gulf wars.
I believe he is also an alcoholic.

The whole situation the past two days has been very quiet. The crazy woman's son has come to stay also. He seems like a decent kid. I feel sorry for him AND his mama. That doesn't mean I can live around them.

The dynamic going on with my neighbor is apparently yet another downward spiral playing out; the kind so many of us describe on these pages.

The only thing I am curious about now, is if my neighbor had to claim my rental income to qualify for the new mortgage on this place. If he did, then after I move out, he will probably populate this property with troubled folks who trash the place and don't pay their rent.

When that happens, I will be LONG GONE.
Thanks to all you friends for your support!!!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, this is absolutely crazy - I can't even imagine being in your shoes with this right now. I also cannot get over how these situations just keep dropping themselves into your path! Obviously, this is not where you are "supposed" to be any longer, eh?

BEST OF LUCK in your new home search Eauchiche - I hope you find the perfect house in the perfect place for you!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Wow, this is absolutely crazy - I can't even imagine being in your shoes with this right now. I also cannot get over how these situations just keep dropping themselves into your path! Obviously, this is not where you are "supposed" to be any longer, eh?

BEST OF LUCK in your new home search Eauchiche - I hope you find the perfect house in the perfect place for you!
Thanks Firesprite!!!
I thought I was supposed to move away from this town too, but lately have been making many new healthy friends and building a new community here.

I spent most of my life being pushed around by addicts and untreated codependents. Now my mentality is, I have as much a right to be here as they do.

Anywhere I go, there will be either well people or sickos. It is up to me to trust my gut and change the law of attraction I used to operate under.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
Anywhere I go, there will be either well people or sickos. It is up to me to trust my gut and change the law of attraction I used to operate under.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just edited my last post. I meant "Move away from this town." I am definitely moving out of this house!!!