Sounds I've come to hate...

Old 05-09-2019, 09:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Glenjo99 View Post
That sound of evil laughter when they reconised they had riled you and hooked you into their provocation. To this day I can recognise that similar laugh in alcoholics I've met (I'm sure not all).

It's chilling.
So true I know that laugh well myself
Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The fridge door opening and closing after I have gone to bed signals the cheese board course, to accompany the second bottle of wine. Because if its good wine, you can convince yourself you're not an alco.
The throat clearing when the reflux starts. Revolting.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I woke this morning thinking the exact same thing. The sound of my AFW trying to open a beer can quietly at 4am. The sound the dozens of beer cans make when I empty the trash.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

also

*Inner garage door opening (beer fridge in garage)
*Ice in a glass (hard liquor = more meanness)
*Noisy yawning every five minutes — actually makes me sneer in revulsion
*90 db snoring
*stilted formal preachy language
* outer garage door opening: dumping out bottles into recycling before any of us see them emptied

Old 05-19-2019, 09:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

amen

I can SO relate to your contempt for your AH; I could have written this post.

Originally Posted by Wombaticus View Post
The fridge door opening and closing after I have gone to bed signals the cheese board course, to accompany the second bottle of wine. Because if its good wine, you can convince yourself you're not an alco.
The throat clearing when the reflux starts. Revolting.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trinity7777 View Post
Not an alcohol related sound I don't think, though I have suspected esophageal varices, but my ABF has a horrible wracking cough that devolves into gagging and sometimes puking. It's worst in the morning or anytime his blood pressure raises like with stress or sex. It makes me feel ill whenever I hear it.
My husband has this cough too...coughs until he wretches and heaves. Embarrassing if we are in public...not nice for him to experience of me to hear.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:26 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunchbox1 View Post
I can SO relate to your contempt for your AH; I could have written this post.

oh yes...the midnight snacking to accompany the drinking when lm tucked up in bed. #selfdestruct
Old 05-22-2019, 03:48 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trinity7777 View Post
Not an alcohol related sound I don't think, though I have suspected esophageal varices, but my ABF has a horrible wracking cough that devolves into gagging and sometimes puking. It's worst in the morning or anytime his blood pressure raises like with stress or sex. It makes me feel ill whenever I hear it.
I had this too! Its the body trying to detox itself and the phlegm builds up in the back of the throat. I spent many mornings bent over the bathtub coughing, gagging and choking. I'd eventually dry-heave. Sometimes I managed to throw up chunks of crud.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Right now, I am upstairs in the spare bedroom with my two dogs, trying and not succeeding to listening to everytime my husband goes into the garage, takes, a puff off his cigar, opens his "beer fridge", walks into the basement, sits down, and cracks a beer. He was home at noon. I got home at 430. Since I have been home, I have, on and off counted 14 cracks. I hate the cracks. It's only 8:30. He still have 2-3 more hours to go.I find myself holding my breath as the sound travels upstairs.
Music, reading, phone calls, studying work, supports, friends, exercising, yoga, clean eating, deep breathing, vitamins, massages, cleaning, mindfulness, etc. I do it all. The cracks each night remind me that my efforts to be well and healthy are a beautiful thing and vital for me and my dependence.
The floor and nights divide us. My husband's "I'm trying, I need more time, I like to drink, I don't need to talk to anyone, I'll figure it out, I'm just a bad husband, you're being crazy, etc.", keep me wondering. The logical part of my brain knows I would be okay on my own if that ever happens. The emotional part of my brain loves my husband. I'm exhausted and can't sleep.
Today was a day that it got the better of me. Today I'm grateful I stumbled upon this post.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kcmiranda View Post
Right now, I am upstairs in the spare bedroom with my two dogs, trying and not succeeding to listening to everytime my husband goes into the garage, takes, a puff off his cigar, opens his "beer fridge", walks into the basement, sits down, and cracks a beer. He was home at noon. I got home at 430. Since I have been home, I have, on and off counted 14 cracks. I hate the cracks. It's only 8:30. He still have 2-3 more hours to go.I find myself holding my breath as the sound travels upstairs.
Music, reading, phone calls, studying work, supports, friends, exercising, yoga, clean eating, deep breathing, vitamins, massages, cleaning, mindfulness, etc. I do it all. The cracks each night remind me that my efforts to be well and healthy are a beautiful thing and vital for me and my dependence.
The floor and nights divide us. My husband's "I'm trying, I need more time, I like to drink, I don't need to talk to anyone, I'll figure it out, I'm just a bad husband, you're being crazy, etc.", keep me wondering. The logical part of my brain knows I would be okay on my own if that ever happens. The emotional part of my brain loves my husband. I'm exhausted and can't sleep.
Today was a day that it got the better of me. Today I'm grateful I stumbled upon this post.
I'm glad for you that you've found SR Kcmiranda, you'll find lots of support here. Hope you will stick around and post and read some of the threads which you will probably relate to.
Old 12-16-2021, 07:48 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
I'm glad for you that you've found SR Kcmiranda, you'll find lots of support here. Hope you will stick around and post and read some of the threads which you will probably relate to.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will definitely be exploring the threads and resources. No one can have too much support.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

For me it wasn't as much as sounds with my exAH but his breath in the morning and the blaming me for being upset with him... Like he would sum everything up (all the pain, drinking and driving, gas lighting) into "Well if you wouldn't get upset we would be ok"...BARF
Old 12-17-2021, 10:34 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Definitely beer cans opening . I cringe at the sound now! When I’d be in the bathroom or showering I can hear him opening a beer. When we would talk on the phone I can hear it . He’d be talking about how he’s gonna cut down but forgets I can hear him opening a beer SMH !!
Old 12-17-2021, 10:44 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
sage

Glass crashing around in the recycling wheelie bin. I dislike recycling day, they come by at 7am and I get to hear everyone's recycling up and down the street.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:57 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

That stupid dozy grin on his face at 6am when he had been drinking all night!

Ok, that is not a sound but you know what I mean!
Old 12-17-2021, 02:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
That stupid dozy grin on his face at 6am when he had been drinking all night!

Ok, that is not a sound but you know what I mean!
Yes we (or I) can definitely empathize with what you are saying! Idk if it is your experience, but it's the grin or happy face once intoxicated and him/her remaining totally unaware or unavailable to process that things really aren't okay once again and you know that it is a waste of breathe to say anything if they are already there.
Old 12-17-2021, 02:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LovelyKaya33333 View Post
For me it wasn't as much as sounds with my exAH but his breath in the morning and the blaming me for being upset with him... Like he would sum everything up (all the pain, drinking and driving, gas lighting) into "Well if you wouldn't get upset we would be ok"...BARF
Barf indeed! I'm sorry to hear this experience and appreciate you willing to share it!
Old 12-17-2021, 02:27 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yes we (or I) can definitely empathize with what you are saying! Idk if it is your experience, but it's the grin or happy face once intoxicated and him/her remaining totally unaware or unavailable to process that things really aren't okay once again and you know that it is a waste of breathe to say anything if they are already there.
Wow! I remember seeing the grin or smirk too. My crazy thinking used to be “ that’s a sexy smirk” .. um no!
Old 12-18-2021, 11:42 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Beer can tops for sure. Ugh I used to get so mad. Thankfully with the bedroom being upstairs and him being in the living room I can no longer hear it. How sad is that when I look for houses for sale that I check and see if there is a second floor for that reason only. 🤦🏼‍♀️
Old 12-19-2021, 12:05 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thank you for putting this into words. That is the reality of what the "grin" means. Their brain was off line. The alcohol had got them to their "happy place" and they were off line.

After I posted about AH, a memory of my alcoholic father came up. The exact same grin on his face.

Sad really but something to keep well away from. Feel compassion for them from a long distance away. A very long distance away!