OT Drug/Alcohol Testing Examples

Old 04-30-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT Drug/Alcohol Testing Examples

I am preparing to go to mediation with my husband, and I wanted to see if any of you would be willing to post what your drug/alcohol testing setup is with your ex in regards to custody.

He has proposed that he will do a weekly 7-panel urine (UA) testing for an "agreed upon" amount of time, and I could request a certain amount of random 12-panel UA tests per year.

I was thinking of asking him to do a hair follicle test to establish a baseline, and if that is clean, I would not do the weekly urine tests and just retain the ability to ask for a UA or breathalyzer if I feel he is under the influence. (But what if he fails??? )

But I was curious what other people's agreements looked like! I talked to my attorney about this, but I thought I might get some really great advice here.

He isn't an active drinker right now. I am more worried about drug use right now, I think. But I want to retain some protections for my son in case he ever starts drinking heavily again.
Old 04-30-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are worried about drug use I would definitely go for a hair follicle. I would also make sure you have the consequences in there should he fail. Don't leave it up to your children to police their father.

Sasha on this forum has a pretty good plan in place with her X.

good luck!
Old 04-30-2019, 01:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

imagine this testing is for a babysitter - what is the MINIMUM testing you would want done and how often to allow someone to babysit your children?

do that.......times 10.

he doesn't get a pass. he has to EARN the right to be entrusted with the care of his children and not put them at risk.

hair follicle for starters most definitely.
AT LEAST weekly testing.
soberlink is mentioned here quite a bit. and usually tested before and after the visit.
no overnights. no out of towns. no switching days out of convenience.
be a hardass, it's ok, they're your kids!
Old 04-30-2019, 03:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My court order says that SoberLink is a condition of ex having access to Kid - he has to provide a clean sample at specific times before, during and after the visit. I can share details if you PM me.

I've found SoberLink very easy to use - I get results of his tests in real time and their customer service is very good. They also have a track record in court. Ex hates it and tries to get around it however possible.

SoberLink only detects alcohol, so if you're concerned your ex is using other drugs, urinalysis or the hair follicle test may be better. Be sure to specify who will pay for these tests under what conditions.