My head hurts

Old 03-26-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My head hurts

Yesterday morning AH started retching and got really sick. He kept telling me it was food poisoning...I quietly suggested it was withdrawal....he didn't respond and I took the kids to school and went to work...(my new job is awesome btw)

Last night AH came and got his keys and went outside and started his car...its normal for him to walk out and not tell me where hes going...he came back in and asked me if I would go with him. I asked where and he said just out for an hour. We ended up at the AA meeting around the corner. He actually participated.

Today we are going to the doctor to talk about options...maybe some meds to help with cravings. I think he should go to detox and he agrees but he thinks he'll be too stressed about finances for it to do any good.

He told me appreciated me helping him even though he did this to himself and has treated me horribly..I told him that I am willing to help/support him as long as he's willing to do the work. I also told him that if he commits to real recovery the time to address the other stuff will eventually come.

I guess we'll see how it goes...
Old 03-26-2019, 07:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Alwayscovering….the doctor should be able to assess if he needs detox....and, be able to help him...depending on what the exam shows....
Usually detox lasts a few days...just until the person is physically stable....
If he has insurance, it should cover that, if the doctor recommends it...
It is not as expensive as rehabilitation can cost.....
I have detoxed many, many alcoholics in 24hrs., and sent them home, on medications, and saw them in my office every three days...
This sounds like promising news...if he is willing to do the hard work.....
Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Alwayscovering….the doctor should be able to assess if he needs detox....and, be able to help him...depending on what the exam shows....
Usually detox lasts a few days...just until the person is physically stable....
If he has insurance, it should cover that, if the doctor recommends it...
It is not as expensive as rehabilitation can cost.....
I have detoxed many, many alcoholics in 24hrs., and sent them home, on medications, and saw them in my office every three days...
This sounds like promising news...if he is willing to do the hard work.....

I'm too scared to hope for anything right now. I want to believe hes serious but so many times I've been let down.

I hope the dr can help him and that he'll follow through
Old 03-26-2019, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for him, if it lasts.

For you, stay the course. I am so glad you like your job, that is so huge in life.

Hugs.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I hope it works too alwayscovering.

I'm so glad to hear that you are enjoying your new job!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

let HIM do this. let him decide how best to proceed, what he needs etc. try not to navigate and direct this down the path you want him to go.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to say I don't think it's up to you to attend his AA meetings. If he wants to do that, he should . You don't have to be his sponsor/person. They have those in AA.

Big hugs.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I have to say I don't think it's up to you to attend his AA meetings. If he wants to do that, he should . You don't have to be his sponsor/person. They have those in AA.

Big hugs.
I didn't mind going to his first one. He went to the noon meeting today by himself.
Old 03-26-2019, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

whats your boundaries to protect YOU going to be?
Old 03-27-2019, 03:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello alwayscovering,

Wow! My head would hurt, too. Maybe step back, wait, watch, and see how things develop. Take good care of you!

S
Old 03-27-2019, 06:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great! I can see why he would want support on the first one, walking into your first meeting can be scary.

Originally Posted by alwayscovering View Post
I didn't mind going to his first one. He went to the noon meeting today by himself.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thank you for the support. I really need to step back and let him do this so that's what I'm doing.

He seems motivated to stay sober at the moment...I'd like to know what flipped the switch but I guess it's not important. He's never tried to actually work on his recovery he's just had periods where he didn't drink. He said he feels like he's arguing with a demon. I told him I had heard that it can seem like that.

Anyway I'm headed out to my own meeting. Just wanted to drop in and say thank you.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

alwayscovering...I think your plan sounds like a good one.....
Old 03-28-2019, 05:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

His present attempt at sobriety may not last, but it does have the advantage of him initiating it himself. I hope he keeps it up.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so glad you are going to your own meeting, that is super great!
We are always here to support you friend!!!

Thank you for the support. I really need to step back and let him do this so that's what I'm doing.

He seems motivated to stay sober at the moment...I'd like to know what flipped the switch but I guess it's not important. He's never tried to actually work on his recovery he's just had periods where he didn't drink. He said he feels like he's arguing with a demon. I told him I had heard that it can seem like that.

Anyway I'm headed out to my own meeting. Just wanted to drop in and say thank you.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The doctor gave him meds and he said hes going to the VA to register for the STAR program They have been sending him letters for months begging him to go down and get registered so he can get some help. We will see how long this lasts. Again thank y'all so much for your support and at times tough love.

I'm off to a meeting. I hope everyone is well.
Old 03-29-2019, 06:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It's the same as everything in life. Hope and pray for the best, prepare for the worst.

I do think that if someone is reaching out that those that care about them should cheer them on. That's not to say take over their recovery, but encourage. It sounds like you are doing just that. Well done friend!
Old 04-03-2019, 06:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

The doctor gave him meds and he said hes going to the VA to register for the STAR program They have been sending him letters for months begging him to go down and get registered so he can get some help. We will see how long this lasts. Again thank y'all so much for your support and at times tough love.

I'm off to a meeting. I hope everyone is well.
Hi alwayscovering, hope you are doing well and things are going as planned, also hope you will update.