I was encouraged to post here. Worried about someone.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I was encouraged to post here. Worried about someone.

Hi, I posted in the newcomer forum but was encouraged to reach out here too.

I’m very worried about my partner of the last 2 years. We met at a coffee shop/bar in my neighborhood, where he worked. We spent a lot of time together as friends for 6 months. Everybody who worked there drank. I switched to water for medical reasons and it was no big deal for me or (seemingly) for the people i knew at the bar. Eventually, we started dating after he confessed his feelings for me. After our first date or so, he went radio silent without explanation—then he expressed to me that he’d been struggling with a serious alcohol problem and been trying to quit for a long time. Since before I met him, he’d been drinking throughout the day, alone and with others, to wake up and to fall asleep, and smoked weed constantly. I had no judgment to offer, only support and whatever relief i could offer for the shame he was feeling. He quit drinking that September, quit smoking weed later that fall. Everything between us was truly amazing—about as good as anyone could ask for—for nearly a year. We were clean at the bar, in good spirits, and very much in love. He even quit smoking that summer.

Things changed overnight when he quit his job at the bar. It seemed on impulse—he’d just quit smoking too and had nothing else lined up yet. He’d been complaining about the boss, etc. but the real reason (he only admitted me this months later) was because he felt uncomfortable in the environment—for obvious reasons. I supported his decision and helped him make a path to having a job and eventually the career he really wanted.

He broke up with me the day he quit that job. I was devastated. We reconciled later the following day.

That began a cycle of bliss followed by seemingly out of nowhere breakups (plus radio silence) once a month, every month, since. He just broke up with me again. We’d been living together. He moved out the moment he decided. This has happened once a month every month since August. There’s rarely been an in-between phase of just taking some time to ourselves to think.

As far as I know, he hasn’t had a drink since last September. I don’t know about right now, though, of course.

I’m supposed to smoke weed for my health condition, but I don’t. Almost a year since he stopped smoking, he suggested I smoke for myself and wanted to smoke with me. We did, despite my questioning it. The next day and every day after for the week, he wanted to every day. When I had the hard talk and expressed my concern- and said no I wouldn’t smoke- he got mad at me. Eventually, though, he realized it was right to be concerned for his sobriety and wellness. His family used to pressure him to drink and smoke. He’d cave on smoking but eventually stopped. I encouraged him to be clear about his needs, to tell them if he felt comfortable, told him I was with him in it always. But I’m feeling like that was all perceived as meddling, deep down.

He never wanted to admit the problem or its severity. He only went to two AA meetings. I started to feel (and be encouraged to feel) guilty for guiding him too much—such as suggesting he go to meetings or find a counselor so he could speak freely and safely. Unfortunately he was trying to do this without any outside help, and clearly struggling. We had a very loving relationship. The breakups were awful and grew more awful each time—always in response to moments of stress on my part or a big (positive) event coming up. He would always simply leave.

We got extremely close over our time together and each time this stuff happened he’d reveal he was still struggling internally, hadn’t processed big traumas like his father’s sudden passing when he was a child, etc. He was also incredibly anxious all the time and would rarely communicate that with me. My attempts to encourage him in a safe way or to offer solutions, when he told me he was struggling with huge specifics, were met with resentment. But I supported his process because who am I to judge. We both knew we loved each other and he was otherwise extremely good to me, considerate of my health and needs, etc.
He’s not communicating this time. In fact, in the past I’ve always had to initiate communication because he’s felt like a failure and didn’t know what to say or expect I’d take him back. I did every time, because I don’t judge addiction. Everyone has some kind of issue in life.

Very recently he said I’d been ‘making’ him do everything (including spending time with me.) His insults included some pretty cutting remarks. I’m sad to say I got so upset at one point that I said some regrettable things too. The reasons he provided for breaking up this time were...everything: money, conflicting desires, spending time, not wanting to build a life with me (we’d been living together and were looking for a new apartment), not wanting to go to our friend’s weddings together (even though we had planned to, and I found a way to pay for one or the trips), that he will always disappoint me. Most of it didn’t feel sincere, but the last thing did.

He walked out saying he would have to come back because he left to pairs of shoes. He hasn’t said anything since and still has my key. I’m worried he’s having a breakdown and I don’t know what my best move is. I wish I could help. I know I can’t “save” him or “fix” another person or tell anyone what to do. He’s gone to stay with a friend who has even more major drug and alcohol problems, so I’m extra worried.

My partner’s behavior has been extremely impulsive in bursts. At all other times, he was almost overly considerate—often to his detriment in ways I couldn’t have known because he wouldn’t communicate. Every month he’d have a freak out and say/do the opposite of everything he’s expressed wanting and acted to build.

I am very sad about this loss because I really do love him and life has otherwise been beautiful—I went to his brother’s wedding, he got to know my whole family, we shared nice weekend rituals and cooked food and laughed, he was with me through a major health crisis of my own.

I’m at a loss. If there’s any useful guidance, I’ll take it. Thanks if you’ve read all of this.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi jh12,

Welcome to SR. There are some really good things in this thread you started in Newcomers. (I’m worried)

I'm glad you're here. I echo the suggestion of Al-Anon. http://www.al-anon.org/ Going to many meetings each week can be a great kick-start to our own recovery from the effects of alcoholism/addiction.

NA-Anon is a great resource also.

(((hugs)))
Old 03-18-2019, 02:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Welcome to SR, jh12. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like his is ready to stop drinking/using. Breaking up and getting back together every month would be exhausting for anyone. He is definitely not relationship material.

Have you considered going to Alanon? It has helped many people learn to focus on themselves and their needs rather than the addict.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks very much for these replies. I’m going to go to a meeting this week.
It’s definitely not something I expected to need on my own because I thought the problem was more in the past since he wasn’t actively drinking. Guess I’m not the first person to learn this lesson.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That began a cycle of bliss followed by seemingly out of nowhere breakups (plus radio silence) once a month, every month, since. He just broke up with me again. We’d been living together. He moved out the moment he decided. This has happened once a month every month since August. There’s rarely been an in-between phase of just taking some time to ourselves to think.

well ^^^ that would sure get tedious quick! my rule of thumb, and i'm no expert - just experienced, says every relationship is allowed ONE break up and make up. any more than that and it's just game playing. if every 30 days you're running out the door, that's a pattern and a destination.

i know you are worried, but he gets to be in charge of him. he may not do it the way you would for him, but it is his life and he will figure out what works for him. over two years he's shown himself to be less than stable partner material.

we teach people how to treat us. if you keep letting him flounce off and then come back, over and over, you are giving him permission to continue to treat you like that. don't be somebody's whim.....
Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post

well ^^^ that would sure get tedious quick! my rule of thumb, and i'm no expert - just experienced, says every relationship is allowed ONE break up and make up. any more than that and it's just game playing. if every 30 days you're running out the door, that's a pattern and a destination.

i know you are worried, but he gets to be in charge of him. he may not do it the way you would for him, but it is his life and he will figure out what works for him. over two years he's shown himself to be less than stable partner material.

we teach people how to treat us. if you keep letting him flounce off and then come back, over and over, you are giving him permission to continue to treat you like that. don't be somebody's whim.....
I agree with this completely. I’m not remotely a wilting flower (or whatever other silly metaphor I could think of). I made my choices to see the person past the problem, because I didn’t want to identify him simply as an addict and thought that I could provide helpful support. There were many circumstantial troubles that I hoped demonstrated a need for coping mechanisms, not a breakup. Clearly the problem goes deeper than I originally thought.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

and thought that I could provide helpful support.

see that is where "the hook" comes in......we meet someone, we like them, but they have issues........and we think "ah, i can help you achieve your true potential!!!" and away we go. it is not wrong to want for better for others, nor is it wrong to think we can offer some help. many times the "solution" seems so darn obvious!!!

but we are not in charge of anyone else's life. we gotta get back in our own hula hoop. how are WE doing with our lives? our choices? are we being faithful and showing fealty to our own wants and needs? are we assuring WE are living our best life?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi jh12 and welcome. Lots of support here for you.

First things first, you didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it (the 3 c's).

What you have described sounds like classic addict behaviour unfortunately, or to clarify, someone who is sober but not in recovery. He obviously used alcohol to cope and if you just take that away and don't get in to a program or get help you are just left white-knuckling it - which is probably why he chose to flee once a month - he reached breaking point.

Now whether he went out and drank on those occasions, who knows.

I'm with Anvil on this one. The whole breaking up getting back together thing is HUGELY destructive and my personal advice is to run, run away from that. I'm going to guess you have already had this affect your well-being greatly, including your self esteem and self worth?

We have lots of information available in the stickies section at the top of the forum here, you might want to read some of these posts, this is a good place to start, knowledge is power:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...c-reading.html (Classic Reading)

Also you might find the articles found here very informative:

Addiction, Lies and Relationships

Keep posting, as much as you want to, lots of wisdom to be found here.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

To me it sounds like there may be some underlying mental health issues on top of drinking, weed, and whatever other drugs he might be doing. I can't point to anything in particular in your account. It sounds like he is being very black and white with you, either idealizing you and putting you on a pedestal or saying terrible things and withdrawing...classic borderline personality disorder behavior, if I'm reading this correctly. The classic borderline book is titled 'I Hate You! Don't Leave Me." It sounds like more than booze and weed, take it from someone who's been there.

Do what you need to do, but I concur that the best thing here is probably to move on.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
To me it sounds like there may be some underlying mental health issues on top of drinking, weed, and whatever other drugs he might be doing. I can't point to anything in particular in your account. It sounds like he is being very black and white with you, either idealizing you and putting you on a pedestal or saying terrible things and withdrawing...classic borderline personality disorder behavior, if I'm reading this correctly. The classic borderline book is titled 'I Hate You! Don't Leave Me." It sounds like more than booze and weed, take it from someone who's been there.

Do what you need to do, but I concur that the best thing here is probably to move on.

I would strongly second this. It gets complicated when addiction is involved, because you don’t know what’s causing what, and even mental health practioners make mistakes because these diagnoses can be so subjective. And I personally believe you really need to be clean and sober for a year or so to see what behaviors are still there (or not) after the addiction piece is straightened out..

But yeah, I think bpd being behind all of this is more common than people think, especially more common in men than people realize (it usually gets blamed on something else, like anti-social or bipolar or npd). That book Mindful Man mentioned is a good one, as is Stop Walking On Eggshells. Shari Schreiber has some great articles on bpd too, including this one on bpd men specifically:

https://sharischreiber.com/the-male-borderline/
Old 03-19-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, but personality disorders are all but impossible for a lay-person to diagnose even in sober people, impossible in addicts, so I would be reluctant to do a lot of research on that, better to focus on yourself and what you need and how this is all affecting you.

Alcoholics (this is a general statement based on my experience) can show signs of being high up on the narcissism scale, the self-serving etc - that doesn't mean they are a person with full blown narcissistic personality disorder.

Bi-polar shows as very erratic behaviour, but so does addiction to alcohol (generally).

I guarantee if you research either of these you will find patterns he can fit in to. He is going to do what he is going to do and I think, based on history, that you can see how this is going to play out, month after month.

Is that the kind of partner you want to share your life with?

I don’t know what my best move is. I wish I could help. I know I can’t “save” him or “fix” another person or tell anyone what to do. He’s gone to stay with a friend who has even more major drug and alcohol problems, so I’m extra worried.
This is where you are getting caught up. If you are going to stay in this relationship, you are going to have to accept this behaviour. You say you know you can't save him or fix him but you are worried and wondering what your next move is? That's a contradiction. There is no move to make.

I am very sad about this loss because I really do love him and life has otherwise been beautiful
Aside from the untreated addiction, abusive outbursts and breaking up with you every month for the last 8 months?

Please don't take my post as harsh but you aren't looking out for your well-being here and that's really important. Don't let this relationship drag your self-worth so low that you see no way out of it.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

^Trailmix- yeah I know what you’re saying about the diagnosing. And with addiction, you really just don’t know. Generally speaking, I’m of the camp, focus on the behaviors and don’t fall down the rabbit hole of driving yourself crazy with diagnoses.

However, with that being said, sometimes people just want some direction as to what’s wrong with their loved ones. The advice is usually to focus on you, which is good advice. And there’s the materials on addiction. However, sometimes when people don’t know what is wrong with a loved one, they are itching for more information, and do want to explore a little.

For me personally, I have bpd in my family, worked in programs where we specifically had clients diagnosed with bpd and we were trained in DBT to help them, some people in my personal life (In particular one ex who struggled with addictions and has since died, but when I found out about bpd it all finally made sense) .so it’s something I’m very familiar with (even though I think it’s a loaded diagnosis, and I’d just as soon throw out the DSM and focus on the behaviors).

Also, I do have one long term term friend who I’ve know for over 20 years who has the behaviors, and that Shari Schreiber article I posted really helped me, and thought it might be helpful for the OP. Maybe I’m totally wrong and my friend’s behavior is solely due to the addictions. Maybe he has a brain tumor underneath it all and that’s why he acts so crazy. Who knows? But that article really hit home, and have me an aha moment, that I’m in over my head, and it’s time to get out. Sometimes some book or article speaks to you, and might help others in a similar situation.. Maybe the OP won’t find it or the books mentioned helpful, but maybe she will... You just never know.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I completely agree with you pdm.
Old 03-19-2019, 06:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jh12 View Post

I didn’t want to identify him simply as an addict and thought that I could provide helpful support.
He's an addict and you want to 'see past that.' But what if, frankly, he's a jerk who can't commit? What if he just doesn't want to maintain a relationship?
Old 03-26-2019, 12:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

https://outofthefog.website/

I have found the above site extremely helpful with Personality Disorders. I have several people in my extended family that in my opinion have these issues. It seems common for people to mix Personality Disorders with alcohol, drug etc use.

Mods, if it is inappropriate for me to post this link, please remove.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
and thought that I could provide helpful support.

see that is where "the hook" comes in......we meet someone, we like them, but they have issues........and we think "ah, i can help you achieve your true potential!!!" and away we go. it is not wrong to want for better for others, nor is it wrong to think we can offer some help. many times the "solution" seems so darn obvious!!!

but we are not in charge of anyone else's life. we gotta get back in our own hula hoop. how are WE doing with our lives? our choices? are we being faithful and showing fealty to our own wants and needs? are we assuring WE are living our best life?
Absolutely! I like this metaphor. The hook is real. I’m back in my own hula hoop now. Thank you.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It sounds to me like it's time to focus on taking care of YOU and letting this toxic relationship go.

I am sorry for what brings you here, but glad you are here.