Ethics: researching arrest/convictions

Old 03-08-2019, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life is good

Ethics: researching arrest/convictions

"I have the right to be in a safe, non-violent home."

The first on the victim's rights document I received from my local DV help center.

While removing my MyLife profile again, there have been changes in two profiles of family members, now showing court records/convictions. A part of providing a safe, stable home for DS12 includes knowing who I'm dealing with, beyond what others have been willing to share with me.

"When I know more, I can do more."

Input, please.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Mango...I agree with you....
That sort of goes along with one of my favorite sayings/truths.....Knowledge is power.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've researched the free stuff and have for the first time ever considered paying for research on the alcoholic. I'm limited or have to pay/register with many local governments as-is so I'm thinking of paying, plus it's more confidential. I've also considered a private investigator. To me it would be money well spent. I wouldn't pay thousands of dollars but if I could get a detailed criminal and civil background would be a help.

How I would use the information other than self defense/tactical reasons is the big question. Who do you tell? Do you base all decisions using their criminal and civil records? To me it would be documented proof for others. It took me years to convince others in the family that the alcoholic had a recent dui and flirted with using one of those pay services. Luckily they finally accepted their record. At what point if ever would you confront the addict or alcoholic with that information. But information is power and one less thing to dwell on.

But like the alcoholic here many seem to elude many criminal and civil penalties like it's their job. A source of information is still in employment and credit history along with the amount of adult education. One of his issues he had was no credit or employment history for a decade which caught potential employer's eyes.

But knowing your suspicions or opinions about the individual were accurate allows more thought into current issues and not "I wonder or bet he has a criminal record".
Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I found out by accident that my XAH had been mugged while massively drunk. Finding the court record, in which the police officer had the foresight to write "it should be noted that the victim was extremely intoxicated," was a big help in getting X to do sobriety monitoring when he had custody of our kids.

Knowledge is power, as dandylion says. And there is nothing more important than protecting our kids.