"This Is Your Brain On . . . " (Stanford Magazine)

Old 03-01-2019, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

"This Is Your Brain On . . . " (Stanford Magazine)

I just read this interesting article about recent research on addiction. What struck me most is the anecdote about the program for repeat drunk drivers, and the claim that immediate consequences help addicts change their behavior, which is akin to what folks say here about maintaining one's boundaries.

I'm fairly confident that getting my XAH to do sobriety monitoring while he had custody of our kids helped him to reduce his boozing even if it added to his fury with me.

https://www.stanfordmag.org/contents...-your-brain-on
Old 03-01-2019, 09:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Interesting article, actually I read a few while I was there, thanks for the link.

Has anyone else noticed that articles lately are really long winded? They go on and on and on.

I guess that's at least, in part, because they are digital but I hope that writers and editors get it together and realize that just because it can be a novel, doesn't mean it should be.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was interested in the part about addiction to smart phones, just because I see a lot of what looks like it. The article says it's 6% of the population, or was it smart phone owners? That's higher than what I would have guessed, although it doesn't surprise me.
Old 03-02-2019, 05:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

DriGuy…..6 per cent addicted to smart phones....I would guess much higher...lol....
Old 03-03-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Interesting article, actually I read a few while I was there, thanks for the link.

Has anyone else noticed that articles lately are really long winded? They go on and on and on.

I guess that's at least, in part, because they are digital but I hope that writers and editors get it together and realize that just because it can be a novel, doesn't mean it should be.

i have noticed this too, and it used to be only the bloggers who lack the necessary background on the information that they were writing about. I did some contract work for a google contracter to make some extra money when o was a SAHM. They started cracking down on these search results ending up on top (especially for medical information). I'm yammering. Lol. Did you notice on this article it tells you how long it should take to read it? 10 minutes. I noticed CNN, BBC and others have begun to also state a time.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Clover71 View Post

i have noticed this too, and it used to be only the bloggers who lack the necessary background on the information that they were writing about. I did some contract work for a google contracter to make some extra money when o was a SAHM. They started cracking down on these search results ending up on top (especially for medical information). I'm yammering. Lol. Did you notice on this article it tells you how long it should take to read it? 10 minutes. I noticed CNN, BBC and others have begun to also state a time.
That could scare a lot of people off. 10 minutes?? I can't do that. I have to keep my options open. I'm expecting a text message at any minute!
<sarcasm off>
Old 03-03-2019, 10:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
That could scare a lot of people off. 10 minutes?? I can't do that. I have to keep my options open. I'm expecting a text message at any minute!
<sarcasm off>
lol

Clover, I didn't notice it on that article but have on others. What I have started doing though, I've noticed is skim reading and secondly at some point I will scroll down the page thinking - omg how much more of this is there.

I just want the highlights with a bit of background, if I want deep info, I'll go looking for that, you know what I mean.

Now I have to go read it and see how long it takes me to read that article haha (around 10 and a half minutes and it was kind of painful to not skim read it).
Old 03-03-2019, 12:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I have the same issues with a lot of YouTube videos.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
lol

Clover, I didn't notice it on that article but have on others. What I have started doing though, I've noticed is skim reading and secondly at some point I will scroll down the page thinking - omg how much more of this is there.

I just want the highlights with a bit of background, if I want deep info, I'll go looking for that, you know what I mean.

Now I have to go read it and see how long it takes me to read that article haha (around 10 and a half minutes and it was kind of painful to not skim read it).
hahaha

yes, I do the same or get bored and skip
the rest altogether.