Inspire me.... what's NEW in your life?

Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inspire me.... what's NEW in your life?

In recovery we deal a lot with hindsight & looking backward over our shoulders trying to understand things we can't change. A necessary evil in a lot of ways - we seek wisdom now that we're armed with new info & can better understand the choices & the path that brought us here so that we can change the pattern going forward.

Unshackling ourselves & dropping baggage frees up a lot of space for new - in the early part of my recovery I did a lot of new spiritual stuff like reiki & spiritual development classes, got dedicated to my health & wellness & things like that but now I'm itching for something wholly new. Something challenging & unrelated to anything else.

Have any of you started a new hobby, class, career? Was there something you always wanted to do & finally just went for it? Did you take a chance on something random & end up finding passion for something?

(For example, LaTeeDa's story has always been one of the most inspirational recovery stories to me: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ue-update.html (Long overdue update) )

Anyway, just looking for inspiration if anyone has a story to share!
Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm trying to figure out how to add something around DD's insane schedule which I'm a happy, partial slave to for the next couple of yrs... (like 3 days of theater practice after school each week + Saturday lessons...) but I also don't want to wait until *that* moment arrives to start this process for me because once she is going, she'll be GONE - college, internships, travel - she's spending a month studying in Greece this summer for example & she'll only be 15. A month is a lot of free time on my hands but then I go right back to shuttling around her schedule.

I've been on the fence about joining a gym for a while because I wasn't finding a great fit, but now DD is old enough & independently driven enough to want to go along so I'm checking into that as a starting block. It's a small step but it might open me up to meeting new people & taking new classes; if I find something close I can go with/without DD depending on her schedule, etc.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FireSprite….you might think about some kind of ethnic dancing.....like, maybe, bellydancing classes...great for the figure! And,it sounds like a lot more fun than a gym, to me...lol...
Birdwatching is good too.....and, you have a ton of birds in Florida!
Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's a good idea dandy - although, I tried zumba one & ended up burning more calories laughing at myself than I did dancing.... it was lot of fun all around!

I'm toying with the idea of starting my own podcast......
Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

FireSorite…..this is really of topic....but, it is a funny story that I just remembered.
One time, I went to a parent-teacher meeting for one of my kids....and, the teacher seemed bummed out. I asked her what the matter was...and she told me that she had bugged her husband to take up some kind of hobby...…
It seems, that he took up birdwatching....and ended up having an affair with one of the women in his birdwatching group. She had just found out about it.....
Everytime I think about bird watching.....I think about that...lol....
Old 02-28-2019, 11:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beekeeping. It's surprisingly relaxing. Cake decorating? Volunteering at a school, hospital, becoming a Justice of the Peace?
Old 02-28-2019, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
That's a good idea dandy - although, I tried zumba one & ended up burning more calories laughing at myself than I did dancing.... it was lot of fun all around!

I'm toying with the idea of starting my own podcast......
Oh be sure to let us know if you do! When you are ready of course.

Nothing new here, nothing to see, it's too cold to go outside!
Old 02-28-2019, 08:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Pottery is very cool, I’ve found it to be a lesson in not getting too attached to things, or control, it’s quite meditative too.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, I spent the better part of the day helping my sister make a duct tape corset. We found it hilarious to be shopping for lingerie at Lowe's Hardware store.
Old 03-02-2019, 03:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is good

New phone/camera/PC/life connections: I'm out of my comfort zone and using a competitive brand!

Great technology, a bargain and excellent customer service. I'm enjoying this. I'm hanging out at the store while the phone is charging. It's quick, I'm learning the new layout and apps, changing a few things up and really glad to be at a store full of happy, friendly, vibrant people. Multicultural experiences lately in unexpected ways.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

i got the flu and bronchitis! that's been the experience, especially since i DID get the flu shot this year.....trip the dr then the ER on Monday....02 levels down to 88%. have a new appreciation for that oxygen thing! Tamiflu is amazing, along with prednisone and inhalers. had me back to work by Thursday.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am a memory keeper (aka scrapbooking). I use the Project Life App and now have the ability to document my life in the palm of my hand (on my phone) or while relaxing in the evening (on my ipad). The app has been a game changer and it has inspired me to tap into my creative side, satisfying me on many levels.

Our children are the most photographed in history, however only a small percentage of photos taken end up in a traditional album.

Looking at family photos helps children create a sense of identity and gives them the gift of the past. It is my desire to leave my children and grandchildren this gift.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i got the flu and bronchitis! that's been the experience, especially since i DID get the flu shot this year.....trip the dr then the ER on Monday....02 levels down to 88%. have a new appreciation for that oxygen thing! Tamiflu is amazing, along with prednisone and inhalers. had me back to work by Thursday.
egads Anvil! glad you are on the mend now.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am taking an exercise class call Pound. If you haven't heard of it, you can google it and watch some videos. It is fun and oh boy, I can barely move the next day. I would highly recommend it.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm in the process of starting a second small business. I am raising ornamental plants in my greenhouse to sell at local Farmers' markets.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I remember bronchitis. It was as bad as the dinosaur it sounds like it could have been named after.

I've been dusting off my portfolio and slowly trying to figure out what I am "good at" because I enjoy it vs what I think I should be doing. I've been tracking my transformation (codependent to independent) for a few months now... I'm getting better at knowing myself and my health.

I've been slowly cleaning out my closet and getting rid of things that made me feel terrible about my body. I've never done a total "konmarie" because I never have the time... just "mini" cleanses. I should set aside some time and really tackle these things. I own pants that I used to fit into 20 years ago. Why? They should go... to a more loving home.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You can keep that flu-bug anvil, I'm not looking for that kind of "new", lol.

I read up on podcasting a bit over the weekend & ran some ideas past my besties.... it's definitely an intriguing idea for me that might just be a perfect fit.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneProblem
I use the Project Life App
Now this interests me a LOT for all of the reasons you listed. All of my favorite photos on my walls are my own candid shots but I've had no luck finding local photography class that fits both my budget & my schedule. Checking into this app today, thank you!

I love traveling & planning trips but a big family trip just won't work out around DD's schedule this summer. Instead my husband & I are going to plan a bunch of smaller trips/long weekends on the bike so I started looking into that as well. I think I'm going to start looking at routes & tips from other riders on suggested places to stop/patronize to see if I can take us through every part of FL by the end of the summer. Not every CITY - but the different areas like the Keys, the Panhandle/Tallahassee, east/west coasts, for example... next week is the beginning of Daytona Bike Week & there are a lot of events coming up before & after as well.

Many good ideas here guys, thanks so much.... I'm checking into just about every one of them unless it's stuff I've done a lot of already. (like you couldn't know I have years of cake decorating experience but beekeeping might be something to seriously consider now that I have almost all of my property cleared & have room for something like that.)
Old 03-04-2019, 11:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have just been gifted a small greenhouse and it is getting set up at my friend's place. I might have left my farm behind but I have a new opportunity to grow things with my friend. I'm very excited about it. I would say any opportunity to get your hands in the soil will make you HAPPY
Old 03-04-2019, 11:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amaranth View Post
I would say any opportunity to get your hands in the soil will make you HAPPY
Agreed! I spent about 12 hours in my yard over the weekend & have the blisters to prove it, lol.

I trimmed tree branches & palm trees, raked & tore up the earth & then watched the blue jays, woodpeckers, robins & squirrels scavenge the area for their dinner.

It took me a long time to understand the value of this stuff but now I really look forward to it - I get great thinking time followed by blissful physical exhaustion ands I always sleep great afterward.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It is definitely great to visit. And especially nice to see familiar names on the board.
What's new? A new home in a new town, with a new job. I've been so busy keeping up with this new teaching position, I barely have time to look up to see the view. When summer break gets here, I will take a deep breath and make some "me time."