Acceptance vs "working on" issues.

Old 02-27-2019, 10:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
I enjoy yoga, hot yoga, meditation and sometimes using a folded blanket for weight and security. One of my yoga instructors encourages this at most of her classes.

I found a thin quilt with a heavy weight at a thrift store. My other blankets are comfy, cozy and soft. This quilt is cotton, has an organic feel and stitching and a home-luxury of a different kind. The weight of is a welcome comfort that speaks very naturally to healing.
Mango, that quilt was a great find. I hope you continue to get much comfort from it.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Wamama…..have you ever closely observed cats? Lol..I am serious. They know what rest and relaxation is about...more than any other creatures that I know.....they, actually, spend much of their day, doing so....yet, when necessary, they are capable of extremely intense kinetic energy and supreme alertness...even more than dogs....
I often watch my current cat take a bath and and nap, beside me....it is amazing how, just watching her, I can feel my own body relaxing ...I have heard that watching a cat relax can bring down a person's blood pressure....

Lol...I am wondering if we could teach cats to do yoga......think of how therapeutic they would be, then....! Hot Cat Yoga.....
Dandy you are so funny! I have noticed how cats just relax and melt into their surroundings. Really, animals have the right idea. They don't worry about even what the next minute of their life holds. They don't think of what sister cat did to them when they were two years old. They live in the exact moment they are in. Nothing's robs them of their happiness or peace if they aren't stressing over yesterday or tomorrow.

I'll pass on the hot cat yoga. I'm sure my husband's cats would just be sitting on the counter, staring at me, waiting for me to notice them. Then the bratty one, when she's made eye contact with me, will stretch her paw out and knock something off the counter. Then I'll get mad, and so much for peace and relaxation LOL
Old 02-27-2019, 10:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
Friend....acceptance is first and foremost! It leads to all the other healing that will come.

You are doing therapy. You are doing yoga. You are finding calm. You are sharing about all of this here at SR. Those are active steps to working on a better you. Don't get caught up in I need to do X next. Just do the things that make you feel a little better. The rest will come.

Great job!
Thank you for the encouragement!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Perhaps this is a natural progression in healing.

Initially you probably couldn't have just said - well i'll just let that go for now at least, it would have seemed unnatural and you would probably fight against that.

All the work you have been doing sorting this out is coming to fruition I think.

I like LifeRecovery's description of "resulting integration".

You don't really need to hold on to the past or the fear anymore because you know how to protect yourself and you are doing that. Isn't it great! I'm happy you are feeling lighter.
What you said here.....well i'll just let that go for now at least, it would have seemed unnatural and you would probably fight against that.....is exactly what I did lol I held on to all of it so tightly my knuckles were white. I had to keep going and "work" on things, all the time. If I tried to let it go, just like you said, I would fight it. Well I ran out of fight, and I'm glad I did.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Perhaps this is a natural progression in healing.

Initially you probably couldn't have just said - well i'll just let that go for now at least, it would have seemed unnatural and you would probably fight against that.

All the work you have been doing sorting this out is coming to fruition I think.

I like LifeRecovery's description of "resulting integration".

You don't really need to hold on to the past or the fear anymore because you know how to protect yourself and you are doing that. Isn't it great! I'm happy you are feeling lighter.
Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i remember a therapist telling me once that i have the absolute right to deal with what i choose to deal with, and to not deal with things i am not ready or willing to deal with. to force myself to dive into some issues that i am not equipped to handle would be damaging, not therapeutic or healing.
Yes! You had a smart therapist. Forcing yourself to work through something you aren't ready for is absolutely damaging. I had no idea you weren't supposed to do that, thats what I though healing and recovery was. Well, now I know better and I will do better.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Wamama…..have you ever closely observed cats? Lol..I am serious. They know what rest and relaxation is about...more than any other creatures that I know.....they, actually, spend much of their day, doing so....yet, when necessary, they are capable of extremely intense kinetic energy and supreme alertness...even more than dogs....
I often watch my current cat take a bath and and nap, beside me....it is amazing how, just watching her, I can feel my own body relaxing ...I have heard that watching a cat relax can bring down a person's blood pressure....

Lol...I am wondering if we could teach cats to do yoga......think of how therapeutic they would be, then....! Hot Cat Yoga.....
I live over the fence from an Ashram where they teach meditation. They have a beautiful studio and leave the doors open when possible. My cat feels free to wander in when there's a class going and sort of roam about distracting everyone. But what better animal to teach you how to meditate, I say?
Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Life is good

Hi Wamama,

How are you doing?