SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   First al-anon meeting (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/436605-first-al-anon-meeting.html)

Wombaticus 02-23-2019 01:07 PM

First al-anon meeting

I went. I cried. Yes clover, I was annoyed I had to be there at all.
I was given tissues, hugs, tea, water, biscuits, phone numbers, reading material, knowing looks, pats on the back and love. It was overwhelming. And everyone was so normal- just like me.
And then last night went to a gong sound bath meditation. That was a..maz..ing. Today is a new day and I will be proud of who I am.

Mango212 02-23-2019 01:10 PM

:scoregood

((((hugs))))

One day at a time, it all starts getting sorted out.

Wombaticus 02-23-2019 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mango212 (Post 7131390)
:scoregood

((((hugs))))

One day at a time, it all starts getting sorted out.

Thanks for caring, Mango. Couldn't have gone without this forum giving me a gentle push.

trailmix 02-23-2019 01:55 PM

I'm so happy to hear this Wombaticus! Glad you found such a warm group, I'm sure they will be of great support.

The meditation sounds relaxing.

SorNS 02-23-2019 02:52 PM

Hi Wombaticus. I went to my first Alanon meeting this week as well. My story was very similar - I cried (first time), felt very welcome, understood and NORMAL. I was also resentful that I had to be there but........”one day at a time” and that was the topic for the evening. Thank you to everyone here at SR for the posts that encouraged me to attend. I am planning to go again this Thursday. I am also getting some info for my two oldest children to attend an Alateen meeting (they are almost 12 and 13). I will not allow this disease to isolate us, make us feel shame or secretive anymore.

Bekindalways 02-23-2019 07:42 PM

So so good to hear that Alanon was a good experience for both Wombaticus and SorNs. I know it isn't for everyone but it sure can be a powerful tool for many.

Healing to you both.

Wombaticus 02-23-2019 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by SorNS (Post 7131441)
Hi Wombaticus. I went to my first Alanon meeting this week as well. My story was very similar - I cried (first time), felt very welcome, understood and NORMAL. I was also resentful that I had to be there but........”one day at a time” and that was the topic for the evening. Thank you to everyone here at SR for the posts that encouraged me to attend. I am planning to go again this Thursday. I am also getting some info for my two oldest children to attend an Alateen meeting (they are almost 12 and 13). I will not allow this disease to isolate us, make us feel shame or secretive anymore.

great. Its good to get a different take on the issue. My chm are similar ages.

FallenAngelina 02-24-2019 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Wombaticus (Post 7131388)
And then last night went to a gong sound bath meditation. That was a..maz..ing.

This was also my experience of the gong sound bath I experienced. If anyone reading along is in my area, I'd be happy to share the name of the place.

Clover71 02-24-2019 06:26 AM

I'm so glad you both found a good group!

What at is a sound bath? I've seen ads here for float tanks

FallenAngelina 02-24-2019 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Clover71 (Post 7131801)

What at is a sound bath?

A gong sound bath is a personal meditation influenced by the sound waves, experienced in a group - as opposed to a float tank, which is silent and experienced alone.

NYCDoglvr 02-25-2019 03:09 PM

Alanon was a life saver for me, so glad you landed in a warm, supportive group.