Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Alcoholics
Reload this Page >

Long time A's-how can they appear to be sober when they are drunk?

Long time A's-how can they appear to be sober when they are drunk?

Old 02-08-2019, 01:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I understand the job of the defense lawyers. In a perfect world, they would only defend the innocent, but lawyers defending criminals often disturbs me.
In our system, the accused is entitled to a vigorous defense. One is innocent until proven guilty.

How exactly, would we determine guilt or innocence before a trial? Who doesn't deserve a chance to defend him- or herself?

I guess I should have explained, Dad's drink of choice was Gin and tonic. The whole thing composed of clear liquid, Mom didn't notice that his drinks had become mostly gin. In a tumbler with ice cubes, it adds up. Neither she, nor their dinner companions, noticed any impairment. Heaven only knows how long he'd been drinking that much. Mom was mortified she hadn't noticed.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:52 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by velma929 View Post
Mom was mortified she hadn't noticed.
Yes, it is absolutely possible to not know someone is legally drunk, including well over the limit.

This is not because someone doesn't know what to "look" for or anything like that, someone who drinks a lot can drink A LOT and no one would notice.