Christmas List.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Christmas List.

Okay, so this isn't probably your typical post, but then again, I'm not sure just how "typical" I am so what can ya expect?

So anyways.....every year it seems that Christmas comes and goes and there is nothing in particular that I want when it comes to material gifts. I usually ask for the same things for every holiday....which usually includes a AH not drinking for the day and a day where my kid's won't fight.
I'm also not a very materialistic person so coming up with things that I truly want (and don't really need) is really hard for me.
Well, I actually know something that I want!!!!!!!! I would like to have a camera!
You see, years ago, my AH used to gripe about how much it cost to get the film developed. We never had the extra money and I'd end up saving up tons of rolls of film to get developed at one time. Eventually, the reality of my life was all around me and I really didn't feel up to taking pictures. There just didn't seem to be a lot of happy joyous moments that I wanted to capture on film. Let's face it, pictures are sometimes painful to look at. Even now, I have a hard time going through old pictures and seeing how truly sad I really was! Pictures do not lie, folks!!!!!
Now that I've been recovering my life, I want to start taking pictures again. I recently got the kid's school pictures and it dawned on me that my camera broke about a year ago! I have not taken a single picture in over a year!!!!!!
So that's what I would like to have this year - a camera!

Now........I'd like you all to think about something that you would like to have for YOU! Something that would make YOU happy! What would you put on your Christmas list?
Old 11-17-2004, 09:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi SS!

Get a digital. My brother got one for me last year and it makes the internet twice as fun.

Lessee.... I haven't made a Christmas list for a long time. I tell my friends to get me things I can use up. Coffee. Socks. Stationary. That's not because I'm not sentimental... it's because I'm too sentimental. I simply cannot seem to get rid of anything, even truly useless ugly things I have in a drawer, if so-and-so gave it to me. If I never get another t-shirt and forced myself to wear all the t-shirts I have, I could not wear them out if I live to be 105.

But there's this one thing I really have wanted for a long time. It's ridiculous. It's useless. But I really really love those plastic light up lawn snowmen. The little ones... like 2 feet tall. I'm sitting here getting misty eyed, just like I do when I drive around to look at Christmas decorations and see one. I don't really have anyone to give a Christmas list to. Last year I saw one at the Goodwill store and it was only 5 dollars. It worked and everything. I didn't get it because I was so broke that would have meant not even any ramen noodles that week. So... this year is a little better... I guess I'll give my Christmas request to the universe. "Dear Universe, please send a plastic light up lawn snowman to the Goodwill store for me. Thank you."

Fun topic!
Old 11-17-2004, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SJW

I'm like Smoke, I usually like things I can use up. The things I'd like that I can't use up cost too much for my kids to buy me anyway! And I'm not especially materialistic, either. I already have the things I really need. I want my family to be happy and healthy, you know, the stuff everyone wants. But still people ask what they can get. My daughter won't have much money for gifts this year and she asked me what she could do for me that she could afford. She suggested doing my Christmas baking. Like I need another cookie! But I asked her if she would mind sorting through and organizing my BOXES of pictures that I never seemed to get into any photo albums or scrap books (I'm buying the scrap books and supplies). So that's what she's giving us for Christmas this year. Maybe once she catches me up, I'll be able to keep up with it. It is something I wanted done and something she's good at. I think those are the best gifts.

Christmas is soon upon us! HO, HO, HO!!!

SJW
Old 11-18-2004, 06:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Good topic.

This just came up last night and my husband asked me what I wanted. I went off the deep end. Telling him I didn't want clothes, jewelery or anything for the house. NOTHING! ZIP! NADA! ZILCH!

I then told him the one thing I wanted he couldn't give me was my health. I suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, depression and a mass of other illnesses. I've gained 30 pounds in the last 2 years and the docs say it's not my thyroid, eventhough I have all the symptoms and one of the tests was off a bit. They won't put me on meds and I know that if he did, all of this stuff would disappear. Been there and done that years ago.

I am currently working a natural program including mega doses of vitamins and eating 1500 calories. I'll do this for the 3 months he wants me to try it, but at the end, I will insist on the thyroid meds.

So, after a long spiel, I want my energy, health and life back. And I want to get off all the medication I take. Guess this one is between God and myself and only he can help me.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My D paints and sculpts stuff out of all sorts of things, including clay (and windscreen wiper metal strips) on occassion. I have stuff he's made or painted in my office at work but he won't do it for months on end, then does a couple of things - then stops for more months!!

I asked him to make me something.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great thread, Standing.

I want an entire day at a spa. I am 44 years old and have never had a massage, manicure, facial - nothing. I always felt too uncomfortable having anyone fuss over me.

I want to walk into a spa and be pampered and fussed over for an entire day. I want fresh-squeezed orange juice - even if it's a lot of trouble. I want to be waited on hand and foot and walk out feeling refreshed and happy - not guilty.

Hopefully, Santa is reading our thread.
L
Old 11-18-2004, 12:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gracey

I never can really think of what I want for Christmas...We usually cant afford to buy each other gifts and so i concentrate on my kids.

But this year is going to be different. I am going to buy myself a gift certificate at my favorite hair Salon, and get color and a cut, I am going to get my eyebrows waxed and any little fuzz bunnies on my upper lip......removed.......

My gift certificate will be under the tree and It will be wrapped with a pretty red bow, and the card will read JUST FOR YOU! from HO HO>........

Old 11-18-2004, 12:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

(((Lorelai and Gracey)))

You deserve it!!
Old 11-18-2004, 12:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I am told that I am hard to buy for...but I don't have a problem spending money so how can that be true??
Old 11-18-2004, 12:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm happy to read these replies. Thank you all for responding.
We always talk about our codie ways and how we always think of the A and not ourselves. I think making this list is really great in the fact that it's about US, not anyone else.
Keep posting. You've already made me smile, and smiling doesn't hurt!
Old 11-18-2004, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It's a Puggle!

Gee, I was coming here to post how happy I was about my christmas present this year, and here you all are discussing it!
Anyway, I'm like a lot of you I never can think of anything that I just can't live without, I'd rather spend extra on the kids or hubby, because it's all about watching their eyes light up to me...Well, I started a new job about a month ago at a custom cabinet place and they are changing the showroom out and are selling me like $10,000 worth of new kitchen cabinets for $1500---AND they are going to take itty bitty payments out of my check for them!!!!! I am so excited. I live in an old farmhouse and the cabinets all have their own special trick to keep them closed and you have to jiggle the drawers a certain way to get them shut---and did I mention how excited I am? I did the whole "I don't really need these" thing and finally decided who cares if I don't need them, I want them. So I told AH about them fully expecting he would shoot me down and he says "that would be one hell of a christmas present huh? You never want anything, go ahead."
Is it completely strange that I am so happy about kitchen cabinets? LOL
Merry Christmas everyone, I hope you all get what you're wishing for!
Paula
Old 11-18-2004, 07:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Searching and tripping

Hey Paula,

You hit the jackpot. Good for you.

After reading everyone's posts, I did think of one luxury I've thougth of having. A facial/peel. I don't like my multi colored complexion and want the baby's butt soft skin.

Last edited by gelfling; 11-18-2004 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added something
Old 11-18-2004, 10:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A Christmas gift just for ME!

Wow, this is a WONDERFUL post. Being such a massive codie, my first "wish-list" gift was my AH be sober Christmas Day. But that's about HIM not about ME!! I'd love a beautifully matted and framed copy of an impressionist painting from the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C. They have a fabulous store in the basement of the gallery and I could spend hours just looking at some of the prints. Also, another great cookbook - I have several hundred - it's my passion to collect them and just read them for pleasure.

I'd also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE one of those lighted reindeer that sit in the front lawn - the type that raise and lower their heads.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
spirit

well this might sound really strange, but it is my birthday in a couple of days and of course the kids etc "what woulld you like?" i said a new ironing board cover haha" they looked at me weird. the one i have has a foam lump in the middle there so does everything i iron, so i think it is reasonable to ask for that. who can use a foot spa when you know the ironing board wont iron properly haha

the other thing in terms of christmas, is that for years when the family have asked . i have said " a truck load of mulch for the garden" - they think that is weird too haha, it has never happened
the last truck load i got cost me about $300 so i figure they could pitch in.

for me i would love nothing more than to have a pile of dirt to play in haha and spread around my garden. maybe i am getting old haha

i am sure there are many other things i could use or appreciate, but hey i am not going to be like my mum - she used to say "you love", well she gets that haha. but i see my kids thinking i am weird when i say "ironing board cover or mulch" hahaha

pampering like, massage etc, is not on the agenda for me, doesnt last as long as mulch hahahah

hugs to you - and may you all get what you wish for. if i won the lottery i would send your requests to you, even mulch hahha
hugs
kath
Old 11-19-2004, 03:12 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

I would like a pretty dress. Nothing fancy just pretty in an old fashion way. And maybe some kind of hair cut. Something to make me feel pretty again.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

My home is my baby.

Some of the best gifts I have gotten were wooden Adirondack chairs for the patio, a beach picture that I had been eyeing and then Ward got it for me...it is over my tub. Last Christmas he got me new pots and pans in red. It had been years since I had new ones and I love red. He also does alot of Bath and Body Works.

This year I want to rotate some furniture and he said he would help me buy a breakfast set that I want.

JT
Old 11-19-2004, 04:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dear Universe,
Putting in a second request for the plastic light-up lawn snowman for Smoke.
It's a simple request and she really deserves it, as it will light up her world.
Thanking you in advance,
Gabe
Old 11-20-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I feel kind of stupid and selfish reading these posts. I am in a position that if I want something, I buy it. And as I was growing up, we never did much giving for Christmas but if we needed something we got it or if we wanted it mom and dad made us work for it and we got it. I don't really want anything. My birthday is in a week and my kids asked me what I wanted and I told them, one day, just one day when they didn't yell and fight and say "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you" with their little hands just an inch from the other's head. Just one day of quiet. It is weird, I could buy myself almost whatever I wanted, but the thing I want the most, calmness and sanity in my life doesn't come with a price tag. Maybe I'll settle for new sheets for the new mattress we just got.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Dee at Mt Bully

WOW--what a fun thread and interesting wishes. I think I'm already getting my Christmas present--I'm not going to my in-laws with my AH on Christmas. It's the
most insane enviroment I've ever been in on a Holiday. I realized a few years ago
that it has nothing to do with Christmas or love or family or anything--it's just a
unpleasant duty. So after discussing it with my counselor of and on all this year
I decided I'm not ever going there for Christmas or my birthday again. I'm sure my
AH will go and my son and I will spend the day doing whatever we want. I already
feel much happier about the holidays just knowing I won't be forcing myself into
such a chaotic mess. I hope you all get your christmas wishes. I think anyone who is
on this web sight deserves some pampering and me time. I think we all put our-
selves last. Lots of Smiles---Dee
Old 11-21-2004, 06:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

I'm putting in a third request for the plastic light up snowman for smoke! Hey smoke do you have a paypal account? I would love to give you that snowman for Christmas. I don't have to buy for anyone but my kids this year and I would really like to give a gift to someone who has always given of theirselves.

You are going to get that snowman smoke. And it is going to be before Christmas so you can enjoy it.