Too good to be true.....or don't question it?

Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Agree with pdm's plan

As I said in earlier thread, he's most likely not done trying to use you so don't be surprised if he tries to find a way around the block.

It's always worked before, so be ready and be very strong in repulsing any contact on his part--hope I am wrong, but doubt it.

Your new friend sounds much much nicer anyway
It's a funny one. I don't expect to hear from him again. I don't know why that is, just a gut instinct. But I take your point and if he were to I will not respond or reply. The new guy is so much nicer, a gentleman.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:21 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm answering my own thread now😂. It is too good to be true.

Have been dreaming and thinking about my ex all week. Can stop ruminating about him and remembering his funny side. I keep wondering what he's doing, who he's with and how he can move on so easy too. Trying to remind myself of how hurtful he was. It helps but I just thought I had moved on quite nicely from him.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Life is good

Healthy actions lead to healthy thinking.

What healthy actions can you pick up today? A meeting, calling people from a meeting call list, get out in nature and do some grounding, something that's worked before and maybe something new?

Continued self care and allowing recovery actions bring continued good results. One day at a time. You've changed your focus before into good directions, you can do this again. Actions first, feelings follow.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mango212 View Post
Healthy actions lead to healthy thinking.

What healthy actions can you pick up today? A meeting, calling people from a meeting call list, get out in nature and do some grounding, something that's worked before and maybe something new?

Continued self care and allowing recovery actions bring continued good results. One day at a time. You've changed your focus before into good directions, you can do this again. Actions first, feelings follow.
Grounding sounds good. Getting out in nature this weekend hopefully. I'll look into meeting also.

Just received Marie kondo book in the door this morning, going to have a read today! (Took while to arrive). Maybe it's good timing
Old 01-17-2019, 07:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It helps but I just thought I had moved on quite nicely from him.
Replacing him with someone else is no different than the addict switching their drug of choice with the belief that it was the meth not the cocaine so now things will be better.

Or as George Carlin said………….

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn’t mean the circus has left town.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
Replacing him with someone else is no different than the addict switching their drug of choice with the belief that it was the meth not the cocaine so now things will be better.

Or as George Carlin said………….

Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn’t mean the circus has left town.
Oh I can relate to that quote! The circus definately hasn't left town, and apparently o have a ring side seat.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:49 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Do you see a pattern here?

This is the thing where X amount of time passes (on this go round the circus ring it was a bit longer because you had a distraction) and you start thinking back on how nice he can be and how kind and really he's a deep thinker full of great plans who is misunderstood because of the demon drink.

You know what, all that may be true but what is also true is he is an addict. You didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it.

If you return to the tent you are going to get hurt again, that's a fact. While you have been away nothing has changed, not one thing. He is still living with his cousin cuddling. He is still picking up random women and men in bars. He is still drinking, regularly, until he is black out drunk.

That's the picture you should be thinking of and what you can expect, not the "deep thinker full of kindness and love".

I was reading some article the other day and the person said, you need to be clear. Is the drinking masking the true nature of the person OR is it merely a thing that enables the person to show their true nature. It's worth contemplating.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hang in there Glenjo99, grief after a loss tends to come on in waves. This all just happened, so it’s to be expected that you’re going to be hit with strong waves of sorrow. I think what a person does in those moments when it feels strong and intense is important. When I’m going through something like that, I try to remind myself that those feelings will pass/ won’t be that intense forever. And what I try to do is focus on walking, reading, playing with my cats- anything but diving back into what got me there in the first place (like contact with a dysfunctional ex, or whatever got you into that mess in the first place- the pull can be very strong

Hey, have you read any of Pia Mellody’s books? I think I read hers and Melody Beattie’s books around the same time and sometimes get those authors 2 mixed up, but along the same vein. I recall the one called “Facing Love Addiction- Giving Yourself the Power to Change the Way You Love” by Pia Mellody is really good, I think you might like her and her books too.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pdm22 View Post
Hang in there Glenjo99, grief after a loss tends to come on in waves. This all just happened, so it’s to be expected that you’re going to be hit with strong waves of sorrow. I think what a person does in those moments when it feels strong and intense is important. When I’m going through something like that, I try to remind myself that those feelings will pass/ won’t be that intense forever. And what I try to do is focus on walking, reading, playing with my cats- anything but diving back into what got me there in the first place (like contact with a dysfunctional ex, or whatever got you into that mess in the first place- the pull can be very strong

Hey, have you read any of Pia Mellody’s books? I think I read hers and Melody Beattie’s books around the same time and sometimes get those authors 2 mixed up, but along the same vein. I recall the one called “Facing Love Addiction- Giving Yourself the Power to Change the Way You Love” by Pia Mellody is really good, I think you might like her and her books too.
Thanks I'll check out her books. You know it is true that these things come in waves. Hard to remember when your in it, but it's so important to say it out loud to someone or in here in a thread. When I get it out it helps so much. The feelings are temporary but quite overwhelming when being felt. Thanks for your support.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Do you see a pattern here?

This is the thing where X amount of time passes (on this go round the circus ring it was a bit longer because you had a distraction) and you start thinking back on how nice he can be and how kind and really he's a deep thinker full of great plans who is misunderstood because of the demon drink.

You know what, all that may be true but what is also true is he is an addict. You didn't Cause it, can't Control it and can't Cure it.

If you return to the tent you are going to get hurt again, that's a fact. While you have been away nothing has changed, not one thing. He is still living with his cousin cuddling. He is still picking up random women and men in bars. He is still drinking, regularly, until he is black out drunk.

That's the picture you should be thinking of and what you can expect, not the "deep thinker full of kindness and love".

I was reading some article the other day and the person said, you need to be clear. Is the drinking masking the true nature of the person OR is it merely a thing that enables the person to show their true nature. It's worth contemplating.
I know what your saying about nothing changing. I did this during the last few months of last year, imagining his amazing new life when in fact it nosedived. Probably still on same trajectory.

Thinking of the negative traits does help. He was definitely wearing a mask.