SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Alcoholics (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/)
-   -   TGIF - what are you doing for Fun/Self Care this weekend? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-alcoholics/435467-tgif-what-you-doing-fun-self-care-weekend.html)

FireSprite 01-11-2019 12:51 PM

TGIF - what are you doing for Fun/Self Care this weekend?

We haven't done one of these threads in a very long time!

For me - possibly spending time with one of my best friends tonight - we've overdue for a beach night but it's cold, so idk.... but she needs to talk & she's been there for me SO many times.

Tomorrow DD & I will do some shopping & lunch while we're out for her music lessons, then I have plans with my husband to attend a local Bike Night & likely go see some live music afterward.

Sunday is up in the air right now - DD & husband are fixing 4-wheelers this weekend & expect to be riding them on Sunday, giving me some unplanned alone-time. Not sure what I'll do with it yet - maybe just more napping, journaling, working on my property.

I exercise/yoga/meditate daily so that's a given and I plan on doing a bunch of at-home spa stuff tomorrow afternoon before my night out. I spend almost as much time getting ready to have fun as I do out HAVING said fun, lol!!

Tell me - in what ways are you prioritizing your self-care this weekend?
:herewego

Shellcrusher 01-11-2019 02:28 PM

I remember this old thread. Thanks for keeping it on the up and up.

Tonight, it's dinner with my wife and some friends from out of town.
Not sure about tomorrow but I suspect there's a cigar and some snow shoveling in my future. Both of which I enjoy. Maybe sing those insane songs from Frozen with my DD. Do you want to build a snowmaaaaan?

Glenjo99 01-11-2019 08:20 PM

For me I will be away for a weekend course on sat and Sunday which means catching up with some like minded people, and that is good for my soul!

Daily meditation too although I've slipped in my practice lately but making conscious effort to do it daily again. Being out in nature and walking in woods is on the cards too. Love it

Wamama48 01-12-2019 01:18 AM

The grandkids are coming to visit tomorrow. They are so much fun
Exceptpt when my 8 year old granddaughter and 12 year old son argue, that's not fun. We will play some games, maybe go visit the goats. I'm setting up my quiet area with no tv, no radio and no computer. Very therapeutic.

Awal 01-12-2019 01:35 AM

So...food shopping, knitting while watching my fave tv shows, woodland walks with my dog, a visit to a dear friend for a catch up and a bit of retail therapy. And lots of sleeeeeeeeep!

Mango212 01-12-2019 08:19 PM

Hi FireSprite,

That sounds wonderful. Thank you for this thread.

Shellcrusher, Glenjo, Wamama and Awal, thank you for being here and the inspiration.

I've been cleaning, again. There's definitely a physical/emotional tie in this. I brought some things to a thrift store. Other things came home with me that have places in the cabin that feel very right. Two huge square red buffalo plaid pillows are now with the flannel winter pillows and bedding on the log bunk beds, luxury 100% cotton towels - off-white, to join my gray towels and dark evergreen washcloths, a special moose emblem mug and a quilt that's like new and folded at the end of my bed.

I'm planning on swimming at a hot springs tomorrow. Bulletproof coffee, good nutrients and extra sleep. Meditation, quiet time, and a few moments of music and dancing.

One moment at a time, breathing in, breathing out.

PeacefulWater12 01-13-2019 12:47 AM

Thank you for this thread, FireSprite.

Today I am going to have a peaceful day of relaxation, a few little household jobs, lots of cups of tea, bit of telly, a nice quiche for my breakfast shortly, listen to an uplifting 12 step podcast

honeypig 01-13-2019 03:22 AM

I have been really, really tired for quite some time, despite getting a whole week off from work between Christmas and New Year's. For the last few days of the week, I'd had a headache that just wouldn't quit.

What I did on Friday after work and for all of Saturday was SLEEP AND READ. I only left my bed to go to the bathroom or to get orange juice, tea, toast or tapioca (or to let the dogs out). The poor dogs are bored to death, I fear, but today (Sunday) I finally feel almost human again. For today, I'll go for a walk w/the dogs, catch up on my dishes and vacuuming, and do a little "cooking ahead" for the week but will also make time for a long, soaky bath w/Epsom salts and essential oils.

FireSprite, I related to your post about how you were doing just enough self care to keep the cup from becoming completely empty but not enough to actually fill it back up. I have been doing kind of the same and look forward to tipping the balance towards the positive side in the weeks to come.

Mango212 01-13-2019 10:54 AM

I'm now another one taking extra time for rest.

I cocooned in most of the morning with cozy clothes, blankets, shavasana pose, slow warm yoga and deep breathing.

I have a list of 12 very easy things to accomplish this afternoon. Self-care one step at a time.

trailmix 01-13-2019 01:46 PM

I work every weekend but I managed to go out last night and I painted my nails today lol

It's something!

FireSprite 01-14-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by honeypig (Post 7098276)
FireSprite, I related to your post about how you were doing just enough self care to keep the cup from becoming completely empty but not enough to actually fill it back up. I have been doing kind of the same and look forward to tipping the balance towards the positive side in the weeks to come.

Trailmix called it "treading" & I think it's a perfect term because that describes how it feels pretty well. It's ok for a short time but it isn't any more sustainable than living in an active crisis.

I did a lot of that sitting quietly/reading thing over my vacation & had to make an agreement with myself to slow down & process. To not be hard on myself for being "unproductive" or whatever negative thought I might've infected myself with given the opportunity.

A few times my husband came home to find me just sitting in silence because that too had become scarce in my day-to-day life - I was starting to fill all those moments of discomfort with noise & alerts & lights & distractions slowly but surely.

I ended up spending Sunday with my best friend after a morning full of cooking (& eating) comfort foods. She's in a rough spot right now and all I can do is hold her hand & tell her that she can survive whatever happens; that I'll still be right there through the hellfire, cheering her on. Pressure in her situation has been building very slowly over a long, long time & the lid came off about a month ago for what is yet another round of a long-term pattern with her covertly narcissistic husband. The difference this time is that she finally started therapy a few months ago & isn't accepting the gaslighting & BS like she has in the past. She's stronger than before in her self-trust & self-esteem so that is, as you can imagine, NOT going over well with him at ALL.

I hope more of you reading along decide to jump in here & share some positivity going on in your lives, no matter how small you think it seems. I wholeheartedly believe that this is AS IMPORTANT as anything else that we do in recovery - it can't all be about meetings & focusing on the problems & just like anything else - this is something we need to PRACTICE for it to become habit. If you want to start seeing all the positive in your life - make time to notice & acknowledge it & it WILL continue to show up. It's impossible for it to go any other way.
:grouphug:

Surfbee 01-14-2019 03:53 PM

My self care over the last few days was about having fun. I went out dancing for the first time in forever!

Tomorrow my plan is to do yoga, meditate, have a candlelit shower whilst listening to a new book (not sure which one yet) just finished The Vortex by Abraham Hicks👌

And then I'll spend the day at the library to work on my project. :)

FireSprite 01-15-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Surfbee (Post 7099495)
I went out dancing for the first time in forever!

Me too & wowzers did my feet hurt on Sunday after a very long Saturday evening in heels.
:lmao

I had a great convo with DD14 last night, just random sharing about our days that led to a deeper talk about her observations in life. I couldn't help but laugh when she brought up the ability to be comfortable in silence since I had just brought it up in this thread yesterday myself. More to the point, she's noticed how her dad obviously struggles with silence & perceives every silence as an awkward space to fill... but you know, she sees how his ADHD brain functions differently in a lot of ways & that this is just another example of how the hamster is always running on his wheel in his brain, differently than ours.

It was one of those "sliding door moments" - pretty basic on the surface, but are actually profound opportunities to nurture the connection between us. She equally delights & scares me with her perceptions at 14.

Mango212 01-17-2019 11:14 AM

^^^^

:)

I have a strange self-care plan this weekend. Shoveling manure. I've had enough crap in my life. I already had shoveled what was near the cabin. There's more in my "yard" area that I plan on having removed soon!

Therapeutic. Satisfaction in seeing a visual transformation of my tranquil zone.

Grapefruit foaming hand wash is the physical and mental part of "washing my hands" of things after dealing with crap. As I'm done with CPS crap, hurtful crap, etc.

Surfbee 01-18-2019 03:09 AM

That's a great parallel Mango!! And it made me giggle ! :)

Tough times never last, but tough people do!

FireSprite 01-18-2019 09:04 AM

Tonight we are going to see a performance at DD's school. She's not in this one but worked hard on a lot of stuff behind the scenes that she's proud to share with us. Dad has been teaching her all kinds of mechanical stuff & tools & it's been helping her kick-butt on build crew.

Tomorrow I am double-booked in the evening & I'll be running from one event to another after a day of running DD around for lessons & chores. I should have *just enough* time between to shift gears from Mom-Mode to FireBall.

Sunday is supposed to be less-than-awesome weather-wise, so we've been compiling a bunch of movies to watch. We alternate between something new & something more "classic" to catch DD up on old stuff. My pick this weekend is: My Cousin Vinny. :lmao

AutumnMama 01-18-2019 12:33 PM

I am getting my hair done tomorrow! I have been getting the under-half of my hair colored bright colors for a while now. It currently is purple. It takes a lot of upkeep but I like being a little edgy (however, when I wear my hair down, you can't really see the purple, it just peeks out).

We got about 2ft of snow in the past 24 hours, so I have been doing a lot of shoveling. I am looking forward to a hot bath tonight to relax my poor muscles. I am proud that I am taking care of this house BY MYSELF even if entails an absurd amount of manual labor.

honeypig 01-18-2019 12:40 PM

FireSprite, "My Cousin Vinny" is such a great show! XAH had to work hard to convince me to watch it, since I often don't find comedies funny, but I LOVED this one! Wish I could join you to watch it!

Gotta post a few clips:

Mango212 01-18-2019 03:18 PM

Pad thai.

Movie.

Popcorn.

Yoga.

Meditation.

Leelee168 01-18-2019 04:11 PM

Waiting on the big winter storm to get here and then I'll be snowed in with hot chocolate and books :)