My new favorite Mantra (during hard times)

Old 01-09-2019, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My new favorite Mantra (during hard times)

"This is Temporary"

.....courtesy of Dax Shepard, of all people, lol... via his podcast interview with Brene Brown.

Mostly my mantras are more positive & forward thinking, like "I am Worthy" or "I Love Me", but they don't always fit the situation.

I found it interesting that he also reminds himself how during times of Joy, he completely understands it will come to an end. Like, when you're having a great time with friends, you logically know the evening will end, but it doesn't keep you from enjoying it while it's happening. You have no expectation of holding that joy forever. But during down/bad times, it feels the opposite - like it will last forever. In the end, both situations are temporary though, aren't they?
Old 01-09-2019, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

agree the only constant is change
Old 01-09-2019, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am the same way, FS, I expect good things to end but I imagine that bad things will be forever, and most likely get even worse as time passes.

Where on earth does that come from?

When I remember to do it, I find the "Mountain Meditation" helps in the same way as your mantra. Everything happening to me and around me is just weather, seasons--sunshine, wind, rain. Trees may get blown down. Snow and ice might cover me. But I'm the mountain, and I remain. All that other stuff, good and bad, is just passing through...
Old 01-09-2019, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I like this.

I always get really sad when good times or events are over for most of my life. More sad than others, can't let go. I'm changing my thinking on it now though and realising that to have those good times we have bad times to help us appreciate the good. All are temporary and that's ok. More good times will come as will bad but as he said, they are temporary.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I like that mantra! I have started something similar. My words are "right now". We are struggling financially...right now. Life is overwhelming...right now. It won't last forever. It never has in the past. The trick is convincing yourself that right now really and truly is not going to last forever.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Love these, thank you all for sharing! Very helpful.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is good

"In the long run, it'll be worth it."

"I choose joy."

Each day has many good things in it. Dish soap bubbles. Trees. Stars. This moment. Opportunities.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting that reminder!

One of my favorites, from Louise Hay. It's long..but I've memorized it from repeating it so much:

"Out of this situation, only good will come. This is easily resolved for the highest good of all concerned. All is well. I am safe. "
Old 01-09-2019, 09:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
"This is Temporary"
.....courtesy of Dax Shepard, of all people, lol... via his podcast interview with Brene Brown.
Oh I like that one. He's 14 years sober. He goes to AA. Kristen Bell goes to Alanon. But Kristen is not sober... she does whatever she wants. He seems okay with it.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's a good mantra! My mum, god rest her, always used to say in times of trouble "nothing stays the same" and it always gave me comfort.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Another really good one that I have always used is

"As it begins so it shall end". No matter what it is, including our own lives. Not to be morbid but just to realise that nothing is permanent.

I actually used to say this all the time on my way into a job I hated. And it did end! Walked out one day when I had enough lol.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great mantra ideas, thanks all around!

Originally Posted by OpheliaKatz View Post
Oh I like that one. He's 14 years sober. He goes to AA. Kristen Bell goes to Alanon. But Kristen is not sober... she does whatever she wants. He seems okay with it.
I didn't know about his sobriety until they discussed it in the podcast (Brene is sober many, many years as well). I didn't listen looking for recovery-related talk but then again, to me, almost EVERYTHING relates to recovery because I see it as a Whole Life Recovery - mind, body, spirit. I pick up pieces of the puzzle almost everywhere.

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
I am the same way, FS, I expect good things to end but I imagine that bad things will be forever, and most likely get even worse as time passes.

Where on earth does that come from?
I wish I knew. My spidey-senses tell me it's irrevocably tied to a sense of self-worthiness/external validation. I remember being a young teen reading a Christopher Pike book & one of the passages stuck out to me so much that I still basically remember it all these decades later in order to look it up & copy/paste

“Relationships are mysterious. We doubt the positive qualities in others, seldom the negative. You will say to your partner: do you really love me? Are you sure you love me? You will ask this a dozen times and drive the person nuts. But you never ask: are you really mad at me? Are you sure you’re angry? When someone is angry, you don’t doubt it for a moment. Yet the reverse should be true. We should doubt the negative in life, and have faith in the positive.”
― Christopher Pike, Remember Me

I also think that "bad times" tend to stretch out over more literal time & space - often affecting many areas of life at once in unforeseen ways & absorbing huge amounts of time, energy & resources to manage. While happy/joyous times have this potential as well, we tend to experience it more in small, constant ways which also makes it seem more temporary. (or more abundant, depending on your chosen perspective?) A night out, a good meal or conversation, a great day at work is nothing in comparison to feeling like a wrecking ball has just gutted you emotionally leaving you unable to manage work, life, family. Sometimes it takes longer to stand up than to fall down..... we just can't stop trying.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FireSprite View Post
Great mantra ideas, thanks all around!

I didn't know about his sobriety until they discussed it in the podcast (Brene is sober many, many years as well). I didn't listen looking for recovery-related talk but then again, to me, almost EVERYTHING relates to recovery because I see it as a Whole Life Recovery - mind, body, spirit. I pick up pieces of the puzzle almost everywhere.

I wish I knew. My spidey-senses tell me it's irrevocably tied to a sense of self-worthiness/external validation. I remember being a young teen reading a Christopher Pike book & one of the passages stuck out to me so much that I still basically remember it all these decades later in order to look it up & copy/paste

“Relationships are mysterious. We doubt the positive qualities in others, seldom the negative. You will say to your partner: do you really love me? Are you sure you love me? You will ask this a dozen times and drive the person nuts. But you never ask: are you really mad at me? Are you sure you’re angry? When someone is angry, you don’t doubt it for a moment. Yet the reverse should be true. We should doubt the negative in life, and have faith in the positive.”
― Christopher Pike, Remember Me

I also think that "bad times" tend to stretch out over more literal time & space - often affecting many areas of life at once in unforeseen ways & absorbing huge amounts of time, energy & resources to manage. While happy/joyous times have this potential as well, we tend to experience it more in small, constant ways which also makes it seem more temporary. (or more abundant, depending on your chosen perspective?) A night out, a good meal or conversation, a great day at work is nothing in comparison to feeling like a wrecking ball has just gutted you emotionally leaving you unable to manage work, life, family. Sometimes it takes longer to stand up than to fall down..... we just can't stop trying.

I like that Christopher Pike quote. So much easier and more willing to believe the negative. Went on couple dates recently and didn't hear anything after. Imagined and believed all sorts. Turns out he wasn't well (stomach bug) but was in touch to rearrange new date. In the interim I was so hard on myself. As has been said here many times, huge amounts of internal work still to be done. Self belief and worthyness is the key to everything. Long process ahead. Only scratched surface.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life is good

>> Set a vision

>> Be free of the past

>> Try and retry

>> Cutting energetic cords

>> Expanding belief of the positive

>> Challenging limited beliefs

There are always new skills to pick up, to hone, to polish. There also often seems to be skills and therapies that help in some ways, yet have a time to thank and let go of in order to keep making accelerated forward progress. Noticing what works, allowing joy, happiness and fun, taking things one day at a time, one moment at a time can be an amazing path.

This day can be one of great expected surprises. Curiosity, asking for clarity and an open mind are great for recognizing them.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happiness is the consequence of effort
-Elizabeth Gilbert

(for the Eat, Pray, Love fans of the group)
Old 01-10-2019, 02:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
Happiness is the consequence of effort
-Elizabeth Gilbert

(for the Eat, Pray, Love fans of the group)
I agree with this so much. It's so hard to make the effort when you just don't feel like making the effort!

So you have to make the effort /sigh

/end rant

"This is Temporary"
Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

One that has always helped me is similar: "This too, shall pass"

I believe it's an ancient proverb from the Sufi poets? So helpful to remember in bad times, and good. (But especially bad times, like during my godawful migraines!)

Thanks for the topic, FS
Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is good

"This is Temporary"

Thanks, FS. Picking up this one again today. 'Dealing with my own fears' is temporary. As I face them, they disappear. Dealing with my husband being in early recovery is temporary. Dealing with the CPS is temporary. Dealing with lawyers and court are temporary.

Prayer: God, please give me eyes to see, ears to hear and strength to embrace the illogical.