Kinda OT - the things I notice

Old 01-07-2019, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kinda OT - the things I notice

I was in the grocery aisle today ( 20 items or below), and there was a guy in front of me. He looked like he drinks. I noticed that before I saw the half gallon of vodka in his cart. He paid for his groceries with $20 cash and the rest using a debit or credit card. "Normal" people probably wouldn't think anything of it. Lol. I don't know whether this is savvy or sad, but I am a detailed person in general. 😁
Old 01-07-2019, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's like sonar....ping ping....dangerous object ahead. I also notice people's strange behaviors...I think my childhood training as a codependent is just that: training in over-noticing and hyper-vigilence!

Oh to let things that don't concern me just blissfully pass by like clouds, that's my wish LOL!!
Peace,
B
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was at a work training one time and I noticed something 'off' about the facilitator/instructor. He was pinging my CREEP radar. After a while of listening and observing him speak, I realized HES DRUNK. Not an obvious, person stumbling out the bar drunk, but like a ... functional alcoholic drunk.

I told the lady who hired him that he made me uncomfortable and that I thought he was drunk. One of the other women in the class went to her and said she didn't like him. None of the guys noticed anything wrong with him other than thinking he was kind of a jerk.

Anyway, they asked him not to come back. Then we found out he has been having some substance abuse issues, and he was supposedly in recovery. Guess not! Poor guy!

Growing up or living around alcoholics gives you a sixth sense for people or situations that aren't 'normal'. Appreciate your sixth sense (you went through a lot to get it...) and trust and honor it. Unless it's impacting your daily life via anxiety attacks (used to happen to me)!
Old 01-09-2019, 02:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I can see addicts and dealers from a mile a way now. I wish I could not see it, it's not pretty. It makes me feel unsafe.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ding Ding Ding....Red Flags all over! Crazy isn't it?!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpheliaKatz View Post
I can see addicts and dealers from a mile a way now. I wish I could not see it, it's not pretty. It makes me feel unsafe.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Me too--even if I've never seen the person before
Old 01-13-2019, 06:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Lol!
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ah! The "significant other" can't track this if I pay in cash, trick.😆
Old 01-14-2019, 08:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, I notice things like that but I've done alot of work on myself to keep me from getting into other peoples business.

I guess a different way to put it is, I pay more attention to what's in my cart versus others. I do this because I lived such an unhappy life, constantly triggered by the Alcoholics around me that I forgot about me. I don't want to live like that.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I once had a woman ask me to help her with her new car which had damage on all four corners, and when I opened the driver's door a half bottle of wine was laying between the kick panel and the seat.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shellcrusher View Post
Yes, I notice things like that but I've done alot of work on myself to keep me from getting into other peoples business.

I guess a different way to put it is, I pay more attention to what's in my cart versus others. I do this because I lived such an unhappy life, constantly triggered by the Alcoholics around me that I forgot about me. I don't want to live like that.
It was just an observation, and for myself, I'm quite happy that I can see these things for what they are

I also have a coworker who goes out of his way to talk about how he doesn't drink but the occasional drink from the bottle he keeps in the freezer. I can tell he drinks too much. He sheepishly walked over to me the other day to tell me about something with which he dropped the ball and tried to act like I should have known why it happened. His hands are shaking like a leaf. The. A half hour later he said he needed a beer.

Observations like this can be and are self preservation.